Main Menu

Prog 1969: Klegg Nicked?

Started by Ghost MacRoth, 20 February, 2016, 01:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

Just worked out the 'Nick Klegg' pun - hoorah! Is Tharg not evoking the summer of love with this flower power cover for Prog 1969?

I quite liked the Dredd - I think the Dredd internal monologue was assumed by storyteller and not a statement from the man himself. The helmets and indeed Hershey did jar a bit but I liked the art and it suited the offbeat story.

Echidna

Dredd had me grinning throughout - can't wait for the return of Sensitive Klegg. D'Israeli is one of my favourites, primarily for his black and white work. While his take on Dredd is idiosyncratic to say the least, it fits the tone of this story perfectly and I think it's one of the strengths of the character that he's so adaptable.

Took me a minute to get the pun tooo - Nick Clegg is sooo 2015

I, Cosh

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 21 February, 2016, 12:57:11 AM
Quote from: Jacqusie on 21 February, 2016, 12:21:12 AM
Oh and Prog 1969 - I don't think Tharg has been bothered to play this numbers game - which is a shame really - lots of missed opportunities and puns to be had. As long as he doesn't forget one big one ey?
Prog 1984? Van Halen themed maybe?  :P
PROG 1989! The number! Another Summer Offensive!
We never really die.

Proudhuff

Cover: Lovely as always by Mr Ronald and a great pun too, what's not to like?

Droid Life: Hmmm...

Dredd: Always welcome anything by the big D'I in the Prog and loving that Hershey too. I totally enjoyed the whole internal dialogue and fitted MY version of Dredd, genuinely funny and the' Glug Glug' made me chortle. More please. lets hope it going on for ages.

Kingdom: Continues to look great and the threat that Gene can't see, get in there!

ABC: Still finding the art a bind and the story is more muddy now than ever, It's not worth the effort, so I'll just ignore this one.

The Order:  Pretty 'n' Bonkers.

Strontium Dog: Art and tale still doing the business for me, a bit  Lite but hey can't all be heaveee man ;)
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

stop with that klegghead photo already!
DDT did a job on me

IndigoPrime

I never really read Dredd in this tale as properly considering killing himself, but this being extremely black, dry humour, which, let's face it, Dredd has been known for in the past. I liked the tale. As for the art, D'Israeli's Dredd has never really clicked for me entirely, but it suits this tale, and, frankly, anything to get my favourite 2000 AD artist into the Prog is fine by me.

As for the rest, same as last week for me: Kingdom's great, Stront's entertaining, Order needs a reread, and Ro-ABC-Busters-Warriors has jumped the shark. Still, I look forward to the 'new' ABC Warriors series starting in Prog 2330 that will again photocopy this story but show it from a slightly different angle, and of course highlight whatever conspiracy/political stuff Mills wants to fire out of his fingers. (You get the feeling half the time he should really be penning op-eds for The Observer or something.)

Proudhuff

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 22 February, 2016, 11:49:38 AM
I never really read Dredd in this tale as properly considering killing himself, but this being extremely black, dry humour, which, let's face it, Dredd has been known for in the past.

This ^^^
DDT did a job on me

Frank

Quote from: The Cosh on 21 February, 2016, 09:23:33 PM
Quote from: Jacqusie on 21 February, 2016, 12:21:12 AM
Oh and Prog 1969 - I don't think Tharg has been bothered to play this numbers game - which is a shame really - lots of missed opportunities and puns to be had. As long as he doesn't forget one big one ey?

PROG 1989! The number! Another Summer Offensive!

Sound of the Different Drummer:  http://youtu.be/U35MvblI4og

The Enigmatic Dr X

Dredd felt a bit off to me.

Kingdom is tops.

Stront reads like any stront tale from the 80s. Which is a good thing.

Not a lot more to be said, really.
Lock up your spoons!

Fungus

Ha!
Because, culturally, the first thing you think of with 1984 is metal ?   :o
1977 and 1999 have got potential too.
1969 did get the treatment as BM says...

Proudhuff

Quote from: Fungus on 22 February, 2016, 08:58:33 PM

Ha!

Shirley Prog 1984 should be straplined Sex Crime?
DDT did a job on me

robert_ellis

Loved this week's Kleggy Dredd. Humour has always been a big part of Dredd's world - it's good to see it here. Sometimes post DOC things have been very grim - we need the odd laugh before we cry.

Muon

Quote from: Proudhuff on 23 February, 2016, 01:47:24 PM
Quote from: Fungus on 22 February, 2016, 08:58:33 PM

Ha!

Shirley Prog 1984 should be straplined Sex Crime?

How about "The Monkeys Had a War"?

I, Cosh

Only read Dredd so far. Having previously browsed this thread I was slightly apprehensive. Now I'm just bewildered by some people's inability to grasp tone and authorial voice. Massive D'Israeli fan but not been fully on board with his previous cracks at Dredd. This one is yet another admirable change of tack, along the same lines as his Ordinary work, and everything except Joe seems to click.

Comfortably the best thing from the House of Tharg since... Oh... Rob And Henry's Christmas Dredd.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Cosh on 24 February, 2016, 12:55:56 AM
Only read Dredd so far. Having previously browsed this thread I was slightly apprehensive. Now I'm just bewildered by some people's inability to grasp tone and authorial voice.

Yeah the Prog finally dragged itself out of my posties bag and into my clammy paws and completely this. The Dredd was a supremely crafted comic masterpiece. Funny, yet interesting, beautifully realised and leaving me gasping for more, more, MORE. Oh your naughty, but I do like you. Brilliant stuff.

As to be honest is the rest of the Prog. Ro-Busters is mastering retelling, Strontium Dog is cutting to the chase now. The Order is building to it climax and Kingdom is so good its had me going a few times already.

Seriously when you hold something this good in ya mitts you just wonder in amazement why everyone who claims to love their comics isn't slipping into 2000ad on a regular basis. It really is the best comic out there isn't it.