Main Menu

Prog 1970 Rock Stars

Started by jannerboyuk, 27 February, 2016, 11:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Judge Squidward is wonderful. If anything the recent grimness of Dredd's world makes his exasperation with Spongebob Kleggpants even more appropriate - everything falling apart, and he has to deal with this? A great odd-couple pairing, and a feast for the eyes on a miserable sleety morning.

The Order is great, even if adding Raleigh to an already eggy pudding was maybe going a bit far, and I do want to see more of Itza's home than just the prologue. Maybe next time?

Ro-Busters: I've enjoyed this a lot but seriously, if we don't find out more about the free robot colony on Titan I'm going to be a bit peeved.

Kingdom: Hmmm. What does this evolved group intelligence tell us about the origins of the xenoptera?

Strontium Dog: the good old days are here again! Great crack altogether.

Dark Jimbo

Huh. Not a favourite cover, I'm bound to say. The Dogs look a bit delicate and fey for my liking, and yikes! That font -!

Dredd is not quite working for me. He's met worse lunatics than this on the streets of the Meg and struggled through with gritted teeth and nary an occassional 'hmph'. Basically I'm too aware of Rob behind the scenes, trying to mine all possible comic potential from the situation, rather than it feeling like a natural meeting of straightman and clown ala Wagner.

The Order is the best thing in the prog this week and sets things up for a bravura end setpiece. Lovelovelove!

ABC Warriors finally addresses a 30-year old oversight and gives Quartz the comeuppance that he never got, but so richly deserved, at the end of the original Ro-Busters run. Very satisfying, not to mention hilarious (I laughed out loud when Howard dropped to his knees shouting 'Hello Sailor!') - and gives Quartz a proper grudge to hold against Hammerstein and Ro-Jaws going forward. I was as dubious as anyone about the need for this extended flashback (at the end of the last run I think I said aloud 'Oh, for f*ck's sake!') but it's raised the stakes exponentially - suddenly the Warriors are battling for nothing less than the freedom of every last droid in the galaxy, which is arguably the day they've been waiting for since their debut all those decades ago. Enjoyed this run a lot more than I thought I would.

Kingdom is superb, and only narrowly pipped to the 'best in prog' post by The Order.

Strontium Dog rounds out the prog in steady, reliable fashion.
@jamesfeistdraws

Muon

They were a bit brazen in going for the belly laughs in this week's Dredd but I'm still enjoying it. I liked how they tried to fob off the Kleggs by saying he was "tired and emotional". I only hope he enjoyed his Ugandan discussions with the fatties before he popped his clogs.

I can see why some are a bit uneasy with the tone of this one. It's a big departure from the norm both in terms of writing style and art. It's strange to have Dredd thinking such exaggerated things and losing his cool so easily, for example. The only thing I can compare it with is a novelty episode you might find in one of the old annuals or sci-fi specials.

Ultimately I think it's really good to have a nice bit of variety in the way Dredd and his world are depicted and I'm enjoying the fact they're clearly trying something different with this story.

Dandontdare

I agree with Bogbrush (Great stuff guys!*) - It is out of character but it's fun to have a change and a bit of silliness

*he'll get this!  :D

ZenArcade

If you had said to me two weeks ago D'Israeli was going to do a coloured Dredd Strip.  I'd have been amongst the 'monacle dropping into the glass of gin in shock and horror' side in the debate.
How wrong could I have been, this is as good a Dredd strip as you'll get, zany well paced story line, super art combining into a (in my opinion) classic.
Z :D
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Spikes

Quote from: Magnetica on 29 February, 2016, 10:00:22 PM

And what is up with Hershey's hair? It has gone all Constable Hodge.

It has a wee bit, hasn't it. Maybe a bit more than 'wee'...

I've a few progs waiting in line before i'm up to date, but couldn't resist a sneaky look at Dredd when I heard D'Israeli was on art duties.
It's great when summat shakes things up a bit, like now, but for my money, this looks to be aces.

Must get through my reading pile so I can start these..

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: ZenArcade on 03 March, 2016, 01:12:41 PM
If you had said to me two weeks ago D'Israeli was going to do a coloured Dredd Strip.  I'd have been amongst the 'monacle dropping into the glass of gin in shock and horror' side in the debate.

He's done 'em before, you know...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

ZenArcade

I'm only back on the thrill power cavalcade this there years past after a long walk of some proportion. But a big fan this past.fortnight.Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

sheridan

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 02 March, 2016, 03:36:54 PM
ABC Warriors finally addresses a 30-year old oversight and gives Quartz the comeuppance that he never got, but so richly deserved, at the end of the original Ro-Busters run. Very satisfying, not to mention hilarious (I laughed out loud when Howard dropped to his knees shouting 'Hello Sailor!') - and gives Quartz a proper grudge to hold against Hammerstein and Ro-Jaws going forward.
I did like the Finn tie-in, though where does that leave Nemesis in the Third World War / Finn pantheon?

Hawkmumbler

Cover: Not JDH's finest piece I must say, everyone looks a tad bit squashed and Shaggy isn't nearly "shaggy" enough. Stylistically it's nice, but as I said, not JDH's A game.

Dredd: I ignore all complaints to this as it's absolutely bloody hilarious. "Kleggist!" garnered a hearty chuckle and Sensative Klegg's over dramatic mannerism is once again a delight to read. Mr. Williams can sure write a character piece!

The Order: Is utterly magnificent, with the gang all hear they go off to bust some wyrm nuts and take names, and my god can Mr. Burns draw! I shall eat this mans brains, some day, his talent shal be mine!

Kingdom: Has finally won me over, the correlation between te tor congruent story arcs finally makes sense to me and i'm glad to enjoy it for what it is. Action excess.

ABC Warriors: Dross. Utter dross. I love uncle Pat, I really do, but less of this and more Savage, please.

Stronty Dog: A brilliant brgining of the end tale, with awesome spaceships and robots and enoug explosions to fill a Bay movie! Good stuff.

Tiplodocus

Liked it all except Ro-Busters. But hey, it's an anthology.

I'm finding Dredd funny - which surely is the point - but can't help thinking that using Rico with Sensitive Klegg and having Dredd in the Hershey overseer role would have given as much opportunity for laughs but kept Dredd's character out of the firing line.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

Oh and how good is that last page of the H wagon being downed in Dredd? 

Very good! Top marks to D'Israeli.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Proudhuff

Hi does give good H-wagon doesn't he?

Hivemind help: way the Dirty Frank in the snowstorm pages ever resolved?
DDT did a job on me