Main Menu

Prog 1971 - The Jaws of Defeat?

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 05 March, 2016, 12:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

While I am greatly enjoying Stephen Fry and Rich Hall do their thing over in Dredd, I wasn't that impressed with cultural stereotype no. 23f being applied to the antagonists.  Again. Any chance we can at some point move on from coolie hats and 'imperialist dogs fall from sky'? I know, I know, the Dredd strip is an Equal Opportunities offender... It's more the lack of originality I object to.

The Order continues to entertain, but my fears that Kek-W is jamming in too much seem juatified. I just don't see how even JB could possibly be expected to fit in a flashback origin story, our former heroine and her ghostly companions, a giant intedimensional wyrm and the monstrous grandchildren of Henry VIII, a robot knight, a meso-american princess in a leather catsuit, Sir Walter Raleigh, Francis Bacon, no less than two balloon-lofted craft in action in the skies of 16th C London, all into 5 pages. I wish this story has been given the room required to let the art catch up with the wonderful flood of ideas. Still great, though.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Tordelback on 09 March, 2016, 10:15:15 PM
The Order continues to entertain, but my fears that Kek-W is jamming in too much seem juatified. I just don't see how even JB could possibly be expected to fit in a flashback origin story, our former heroine and her ghostly companions, a giant intedimensional wyrm and the monstrous grandchildren of Henry VIII, a robot knight, a meso-american princess in a leather catsuit, Sir Walter Raleigh, Francis Bacon, no less than two balloon-lofted craft in action in the skies of 16th C London, all into 5 pages. I wish this story has been given the room required to let the art catch up with the wonderful flood of ideas.

It reminds me a lot of early Nemesis, in terms of the sheer volume of new characters, ideas and concepts that are thrown at the page! I would agree that it's not proving entirely successful, but I'd love to see a bit more of this type of storytelling over the more decompressed stuff like Brass Sun.
@jamesfeistdraws

Mikey

To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Prodigal2

Quote from: robert_ellis on 09 March, 2016, 09:45:31 PM
Really really enjoying Dredd with Sensitive Klegg. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a comic book story so much...

This. I am absolutely lapping it up. I'm miserable at the moment and its making me chuckle so that a priceless plus point for me.

Loved the old school thrills of Stronty. It just hits all the right buttons for me. I also need a re-read of the Order to properly sequence it all.

Dark Jimbo

Well, Dredd is enjoyable, but I can't say it's a favourite story. Rob W writes amazing comedy, but he just seems to be trying a bit too hard with this one.

Kingdom finally ties up almost all those loose ends that have been kicking around since the second series. As predicted, it looks like the ticks are going to point the way toward the ultimate end of Them - if Gene and the boys survive next week...

Honestly, I could read a whole prog of the ABC Warriors just bantering with each other to pass the time. ('Don't give Mills any f***ing ideas!!!' cry a million horrified readers.) Really, I could. It's joyful stuff. I laughed aloud at the 'J.R Hartley' bit, not to mention the idea of a celebrity bulldozer having his bank account cleaned out by an email scam. I've hugely enjoyed this run overall, and can't wait to welcome them back to the prog.

The Order packs in an insane amount of very beautiful nonsense. Like the ABC Warriors, I'm going to miss this hugely and would love to see it back in the prog some time.

Strontium Dog neatly wraps up every loose end. Pikey and Bovus ultimately felt like a fairly pointless addition, but doubtless Wagner has plans for them going forward. Carlos' art is... it's not his best, let's be honest. But it is always steady, reliable stuff with a wonderful sense of design.
@jamesfeistdraws