Main Menu

Prog 1972 - the defiant ones

Started by jannerboyuk, 12 March, 2016, 10:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

Before you think I've gone all politically correct or something -- Beeney, eh? Phwooar!!!

TordelBack

I liked D'izzy's Hershey, and I'm sure the hairstyle was supposed to evoke his own distinctive take on the Judge helmet.

As to the Order, it really isn't that complicated a setup, it just plays out in complex characater-stuffed ways. This is how I see it (and most of this is in the Nerve Centre summary BtW):

There are these extradimensional wormlike lifeforms who can enter our world when the resonance of the two dimensions harmonise at certain defined intervals.  In order to protect the world from unravelling through Conquest and/or transdimensional woodworm, a group of future folk have sent Ritterstahl, an AI (or other encoded intelligence) into the past, along with a number of genetic seedbanks, which have since propagated through several 'seedlines' of enhanced individuals, who acting together with their allies as the Order of Ouroburus can resist the Wyrms periodic advances across the centuries. It's essential to this plan that their actions don't disrupt history too much although obviously Ritterstahl's foreknowledge and all their gadgets risk doing just that.  I suspect that the Wyrms themselves are some sort of rogue biotech also from the future.  The current story deals with the repercussions of Ritterstahl's actions in the first one, where he transferred his consciousness into a sort of golem made of wyrms, a trick that has since been copied.

At this point, just imagine a meerkat saying something annoying in a vaguely racist accent.

Magnetica

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 16 March, 2016, 09:08:48 AM
This, I think, is evidenced by the number of boarders saying that they will need to read it in a oner to fully appreciate it. Surely that isn't a good thing to be saying of an episodic weekly serial?

No it's not, but I think there is a balance to be had and it is a good thing that some stories are (seemingly) more complex than others. I have pretty much realised that there are some stories that benefit from a re-read and indeed probably a re-read of the previous series. The Order is just one of those. For me the issue is simply time and my rubbish Prog filling system. And it also doesn't help that there are often big gaps between series (not really the case with The Order though). Indeed there was a long thread just on this subject about a year ago.

Case in point. At the time I found ABC Warriors The Volgan Wars completely impenetrable (e.g. who is this Zippo, who is Tubal Cain, what's a flash back? etc). Now I am reading the collected editions I am wondering what the problem was - it all makes perfect sense.

James Stacey

Quote from: Magnetica on 16 March, 2016, 09:56:33 PM
Case in point. At the time I found ABC Warriors The Volgan Wars completely impenetrable (e.g. who is this Zippo, who is Tubal Cain, what's a flash back? etc). Now I am reading the collected editions I am wondering what the problem was - it all makes perfect sense.
This is the rub. Most strips will be run with 1/2 an eye on trade release in which they tend to read much better. The real skill (which Mr Wagner is the master at) is to capture the best of both. A fully coherent story read week to week and a seamless one when read in a book.

Hawkmumbler

A steller prog, IMHO.

Get the bad out of the way, i'm so fucking done with ABC Warriors and reckon Mill's is just trolling us at this point. What was the point of these last tree months? What did any of this add to the ongoing narrative? Why should I care about the Warriors well being when I don't even like half of them (i'm looking at you Shrapnel, Steelhorn and Zippo) and have been given no reason to do such? It's a shame, because I know the ABCW's can be brilliant characters in great comics, Blac Hole illustrated that point. But i'm beyond bored of the whole thing right now. I just can't be arsed.

Now the good stuff and it's promising that everything was so solid I DON't need to ramble on about it. Dredd/Klegg has been superb, sod you nay sayers! I love the creative team and it's been one hell of a fun run so i'm all for singing it's praise, The Order has been a joy from begining to end and a proper rollicking old school gem it is. Long may it continue thus! The Future Shock was the best one in awhile, brilliant stuff, did NOT see that twist coming. Finally this has been the run in Kingdom that has sold me in it, utterly brilliant sci-fi and good comics all around. But now, TOO SPAAAAACE!!!!

Geoff

Loved the latest Dredd, humour's always been a big part of the strip and not just the usual black humour and satire.  Frolics into mad-cap, oddball humour have really added to the Dredd's world I think.

Great explanation of the Order Tordelback, I have to admit I was rather confused and so lost interest.

Not really looking forward to the return of Survival Geeks or Aquilla or indeed the Dark Judges...so I've really got my fingers crossed for the new Dredd strip.

Who is the back cover artist?  Looks familiar just can't quite place him..

Ghost MacRoth

I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Skullmo

ABC was the best thing this week. Cracking stuff. I can't wait to see it back. Please come back soon!

Dredd was nice - but I think the characterisation of Dredd was not to my liking. Lovely art though.

Kingdom was great.

The order and the FS I have not read yet.

I am very worried about next week's line up as it's been a great run the last few months. Still, at least there will be Fall of Deadworld and hopefully the 3ler (it's not pronounced 'Three-riller') will not just be about an alien battle.
It's a joke. I was joking.

Geoff

Sexton, that's the fella - Cheers!

Dark Jimbo

The silliness of Dredd never clicked with me, and I can't say I'm sorry that this one's done. I think this would have worked better as a one or two-episode Meg story, where the occassional Else-worlds style tale seems to work a lot better.

The Order got a bit muddled as it rushed to a climax, but was never less than thoroughly enjoyable and oodles of fun. It's like the sort of banter-filled, historical thrill that Ian Edginton is often writing, but without his more annoying authorial tics (all those contracted 'y' sounds, and too many verbose fop characters). Hope a TPB is on the horizon.

ABC Warriors probably the best thing in the prog this week, with a cracking ending. Mills and Langley are obviously having the absolute time of their lives working on this, and even when my critical faculties tell me it's all got a wee bit self-indulgent (with two banter-heavy episodes in a row) or that the dialogue is clunky and unnatural - I honestly find it hard to care! It's just impossible not to be infected by their enthusiasm (unless you're Hawkmonger). Really enjoyed this run but also glad that we're finally(!) done with the flashbacks and ready to move forward.

Really cool concept in Lifosuction and very clever ending. The art was the star here, though. Lovely and clean lines and great design.

Kingdom ends in fine style - I'm guessing two books left now, to round out a final TPB...?

As my subscription lapsed mid-run and I've gone back to buying in the newsagents, I'm afrid to say I'll most likely be giving the new run a miss. Mike Caroll Dredd, Survival Geeks, Deadworld... none of them my cup of tea. Aquila I like but not enough to buy the prog on its own account. Here's hoping Indigo Prime or Absalom is due back in the summer.
@jamesfeistdraws

petesbeats

Thought Dredd was a good change from the current climate of Dredd tales but wasn't feeling the ending at all.

Think people not getting ABC Warriors need to go back and reread in one go as I was honestly a bit confused with this current run but after reading in one go it makes perfect sense what is going on.    Looks like we may be accelerating towards a final showdown with Quartz soon.  If I hadn't read in one go though I would have been underwhelmed.  Great double page splash to end as well from an art perspective.

The Order - need to reread all in one go as others have said.

The Kingdom and Futureshock were the prog leaders for me this week.  Great art and cliffhanger from TK and can't remember enjoying a Futureshock as much in a long time.  Great artwork and alot of information crammed into 4 pages with a twist at the end.  Would love to see more art from Joe Palmer.

Grey M@a

Anyone else not had their sub copy as yet, I think the postie may have eaten mine!

Guess its time to call Denise?

Starkers

I'm kinda glad the Dredd story is done. I normally like D'Israeli's work but don't think it suited Dredd, and whilst I love Sensitive Klegg and had no problem with humour in Dredd's world this one did feel a trifle off. Shame we didn't get more of a feel for Sino Cit 2.

ABC/RoBusters keeps trundling on. I have no idea what's going on anymore or who half the Warriors are. Same with The Order, I kinda get the overarching idea but too many characters to get a handle on what's going on for me. I am intrigued to see where (or rather when) the story goes next.

I thought the Future Shock was quite good, hardly earth shattering but one of the better things in the prog. One slight problem with the art was having the central character dress exactly the same no matter how old he was, lazy and not needed given he had distinctive features and the Judge identifies who it is anyway if you didn't get it. Just a pet peeve of mine!

Kingdom was the best thing in this, though how the hell is Gene gonna get back to Earth!?

Proudhuff

Quote from: Richard on 16 March, 2016, 05:13:24 PM
In fairness to D'Israeli, Hershey is in her fifties now. She's past her prime.

If I wasn't so old and senile I'd give you a hiding you man!
DDT did a job on me

james newell

Lifosuction - Ireall think this story has legs, could be expanded into a series!