Main Menu

Prog 1974 - When Nerds Collide

Started by McNulty, 29 March, 2016, 10:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jannerboyuk

Quote from: Tordelback on 01 April, 2016, 11:29:14 PM
Graphic ultra-violence is very much Aquila's thing (like the movie version of 300, or Starz' Spartacus, one might suggest), so I definitely see jannerboy's point.  However (like the latter), I personally love it. Not 100% sure about Davidson's version of the big man, but then I haven't been entirely won over by any of the versions of Aquila himself so far, and I think everyone and everything else here looks great: especially Felix.
more than fair enough, for my part it's not outrage or anything it's just not too my taste

The Cheat

Quote from: Link Prime on 31 March, 2016, 09:46:22 AM
Quote from: Timothyjacobs on 30 March, 2016, 11:10:02 PM
Quote from: Skullmo on 30 March, 2016, 11:07:38 PM
Dredd was good -I have to say I have never found a shootout much of a cliffhanger as we know it's all going to be fine (pretty much the same cliffhanger as last week as well).[spoiler] Is it Dredd or Rico out in the Cursed Earth? Pretty sure it is Rico, is this a not as yet revealed twist I am not sure[/spoiler]
Pretty sure it's [spoiler]both[/spoiler]

I haven't picked up this weeks Prog yet, but am surprised to hear that this seemingly mundane scenario hasn't yet been made clear.
From re-reading part one I'm convinced that both are present.
Both are addressed by name, and there are two 'Senior Judge' helmets visible in one panel (that I do not have the time / technical know-how to add to this post).

Glad I'm not only one who was confused by this  :)

I thought the 'oh, it's actually Rico' was a good twist last week. Now I'm thinking they're both there too.
Meh!

Pete Wells

Aye, this confused me a bit with me too, especially as Dredd and Joyce had been asked to go to Brit Cit. I know MC-1 are making a stand but it should have been made a little more obvious.

Also, I thought Rico was already our in the Cursed Earth? Has Dredd met up with him? Should we have seen this?

I'm not quite feeling the "whole city is gonna starve if Dredd (and Rico?) and a bunch of cadets don't stop a bunch of bandits in the Cursed Earth" too. It seems out of proportion with the size of the city, and if that is the case, surely they would he sent a bigger party, even with the city in its weakened state. I can't buy the Brit Cit bullying the Meg slant either, especially as the Joyce's dad thing was down to corruption.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the story, but the Dreddverse feels a bit of a mess at the minute and I'd like things to settle down for a while.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Pete Wells on 02 April, 2016, 02:36:15 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the story, but the Dreddverse feels a bit of a mess at the minute and I'd like things to settle down for a while.

Me too; not quite sure exactly what's going on in the Dreddverse- without wishing to go too progstalgic, we were spoiled by years of Wagner, where scripts flowed incredibly smoothly and never left you asking questions (unless that's what we were supposed to do, as when Kraken appeared first).  While I like to see big things happen in the Meg, a lot of things are unclear - just how powerful is MC1 these days?  How much has been rebuilt after DoC?  Is the city ripe for foreign invasion; and if it is, why hasn't it happened yet?

I love Tainted.  I really enjoy a good apocalypse story.  This was how I'd hoped the Origins story would go rather than focusing on Dredd and the judges - normal people trying to cope as their whole world is gradually rent asunder.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

inkymonkey

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 03 April, 2016, 08:10:49 PM
Quote from: Pete Wells on 02 April, 2016, 02:36:15 PM

Me too; not quite sure exactly what's going on in the Dreddverse- without wishing to go too progstalgic, we were spoiled by years of Wagner, where scripts flowed incredibly smoothly and never left you asking questions (unless that's what we were supposed to do, as when Kraken appeared first).  While I like to see big things happen in the Meg, a lot of things are unclear - just how powerful is MC1 these days?  How much has been rebuilt after DoC?  Is the city ripe for foreign invasion; and if it is, why hasn't it happened yet?

I love Tainted.  I really enjoy a good apocalypse story.  This was how I'd hoped the Origins story would go rather than focusing on Dredd and the judges - normal people trying to cope as their whole world is gradually rent asunder.

I always figured that even if MC1 has become a pale shadow of its former self, it still has a vast nuclear arsenal, which would make anyone pause for a moment's thought before invading...

I'm still waiting for the last two progs, so I haven't seen how Tainted is unfolding - but the first episode was pretty promising. Am I correct in thinking that it's the first part of a larger story? Or is that just optimism?

Fungus

A prog binge recently and 1973/1974 today.
Lots to enjoy, the weakest Thrill being the 3riller which is a shame as Lynch is a favourite new art droid. It seems horribly rushed colour art. Maybe he evaluated the script and had shelves to put up too...

Dredd is masterful, Carroll's sense of character and keen dialogue is just beautiful. His love of Dredd history shines through. So much better than the Gyre, which disappointed in some poor Megazines recently.

Survival Geeks is good fun, I've no interest in being a 'geek' but it's accessible and witty in this run and thank goodness for RennieBeeby.

Aquila has begun strongly, more Rennie goodness and - whisper it - educational into the bargain.

Deadworld has potential, what may scupper this is the painted art - suited to horrific images but not ideal in storytelling. Loved the last run so remain hopeful.

Pop Culture Bandit

Here's our take on this Prog:

http://www.popculturebandit.co.uk/2016/03/2000ad-prog-1974.html

Thrill of the Week: Judge Dredd

Absolutely cracking installment of the series, and while I understand the Rico/Dredd confusion, I think it's meant to be the pair of them present. I quite like the ongoing sub-plot between Brit-Cit/Emerald Isle/MC-1 and I wonder if it's going to lead to another emergency peace treaty as seen in Rob Williams' recent "Undercover Klegg" series. But without the humour element...