Main Menu

Prog 1977

Started by Dash Decent, 13 April, 2016, 11:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacqusie

In regards to Dredd story Arc, I always enjoy a cursed earth story & it gives some relief from the problems of the city. I also always enjoy Major Easy - I mean Koburn, when he's kicking around so this was all set up to be quite enjoyable.

Whatever the outcome from the prog & meg this weekend, I'm not sure why Carrol was let loose on this. We have only just got over the Titan/Enceladus fall out (without much follow up) & light relief is in short supply.

What ever happened to some of the good old Dredd funnies, or was the Klegg story it for the year?

So there is tension, uncertainty and a sense of foreboding in the characters world... some of the high drama we are used to in Dredd...

... so why does it all look & feel all a bit silly, poorly thought out and just plain wrong?

Si

mejustnow

I get the prog but not the meg. This turn of events has, frankly, pissed me off.
SMUSHY PEAS!!!

Echidna

Quote from: mejustnow on 16 April, 2016, 02:09:13 PM
I get the prog but not the meg. This turn of events has, frankly, pissed me off.

I get both, so I'm cool with it, but I can see how it's kind of a crass move. On the bright side, it looks like the two threads will be fairly distinct - the prog will deal with the aftermath in MC-1 while the Meg will follow Rico's mission in the Cursed Earth. Kinda like how they handled Doomsday, I guess.

Pete Wells

Hmmmmm [spoiler]That flash BEFORE the explosion is very suspect. Teleportation perhaps? Certainly a set up by MC1 to pull the rug from new threat(!) Brit Cit.[/spoiler]

jannerboyuk

Yeah I think it's annoying in the first instance because the need to know what happened with the main event but it diverges into two distinct stories pretty quickly.

The Amstor Computer

Quote from: Pete Wells on 16 April, 2016, 02:38:53 PM
Hmmmmm [spoiler]That flash BEFORE the explosion is very suspect. Teleportation perhaps? Certainly a set up by MC1 to pull the rug from new threat(!) Brit Cit.[/spoiler]

A look through Michael's stories over the past year or two for suitable tech might be an idea...

re: the split. I would expect that the two stories will split into fairly distinct threads so that - while reading both comics will add to the experience - readers shouldn't be left feeling as though they're missing chapters by only picking up the prog. It's a pretty delicate balancing act, but editorial seem sensitive to previous issues with epics that straddled the two comics and I'd be surprised if they made the same decisions/mistakes.

Of course, that doesn't preclude making *new* mistakes... :-D I reckon Cyber-Matt and Carroll have earned a bit of leeway though so it's worth giving this a month or two to see how things pan out.

Eamonn Clarke

And Holy Drokk! By the way.

If you haven't got the Meg I wouldn't worry too much about continuity. As stated above it's just [spoiler]Rico and an another old character from the Cursed Earth going off in pursuit of the Cowboys.[/spoiler]

Colin YNWA

Yeah while I think the move to interdependent Prog / Meg reading would be a mistake, its one that's been learnt from the past and has since been handled pretty well. So for the moment a heavy dose of benefit of the doubt is being given. THOUGH being directed to Meg 371 so specifically does make you wonder. Lets wait and see.

As for the Prog itself its a bit of a shame. Lovely cover feels like the start of a push but Dredd aside a quietly lame Prog. From the bottom up Aquila is just so muh its untrue. I should be loving the idea of a half skinned Roman warrior battling villianous wizard but it all feels so hollow, so shallow. As if the fact we should like this kinda stuff is all that's been thought of. I just don't care and the vision of Hades feels so tired.

Tainted similarly is all grim style over substance.Which is a disappointing shame given that Kek-W is writing and how much I've loved his stuff of late, since Angel Zero really. The art does nothing for me but I put that down to the subjective nature of the beast as I know its so manys cup of moldy rotten dangerous tea.

So a thrill as weak as Survival Geek is able to make it to postion 3. I've enjoyed the last two parts far more than I have the series up to this point (maybe I should do a re-read to see if something with the series has clicked with me?). Its not great but is fun enough and rolls by. I liked the ending ... kinda

I say kinda cos I thought all three of the strips above would of had short shelf lives like previous runs of the strips, but none of them ended. Still the advert for Brink starting next Prog gives me hope that we'll be having a second decent ongoing back next week while we wait for the three thrills discussed to churn out their endings.

Normally I love a nice daft Tharg story and this one while not as good as some others is a nice enough change and pretty entertaining.

Leaving Dredd. Its very rare I only have Dredd to really enjoy in the Prog but its by far the best thing in there at the moment. Its also slightly annoying. Its a great story, or has been to this point BUT it all feels a little like we're being played for mugs at the moment. Lots of teasing chat here and there and then the events of this issue BUT and we all know (well I say that I mean I assume) by Prog 2000 we'll have a trimuphant return. Still it is a good story in and of itself and I love Rico's "...YET." I'll have to get to Meg on Wednesday as I'm a digital subscriber. Intrigued to see where its all going and I think the story premise has some real potential, but the pay off and reason for it feels telegraphed already. Others have covered my theory about what's going on, but I do like the idea of [spoiler]Rico taking over[/spoiler] for a while to see how the city and stories react to that. You never know as 2000ad is very capable of we might get a surprise and if things go down well...

Skullmo

I reckon  the Law Lords have him :lol: they will turn him into a dredd of steel, a kid dredd, a future dredd, another one that I can't remember cyborg maybe it was that the future one, and dredd with a mullet
It's a joke. I was joking.

Skullmo

Oh, and great to see Carlos back on cover duties. I am not sure why he has been away for so long but more please!
It's a joke. I was joking.

Eamonn Clarke

I've loved Survival Geeks. Good jokes, good references, superb art and colours. Long may it continue.

Dredd is top thrill of course.

Richard

Quotethe vision of Hades feels so tired
I really liked that panel.

They won't have really killed Dredd off, but it'll still be interesting to see what they do. I agree with the teleportation theory. Also, I like seeing Beeny on the Council of Five.

I understand why Survival Geeks wouldn't appeal to everybody, but I quite enjoy it as a bit of light relief, especially since Tainted is the exact opposite.

Banners

Was this Matt Smith's last Prog? Did I read that story correctly...?

Hawkmumbler

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GUYS SPOILER YOUR POSTS I JUST CACKED MYSELF READING ONE POST TOO MANY HAVE PITY ON US DIGITAL SUBS'S!!!!