Main Menu

Prog 1981 - The Law Lives

Started by flip-r mk2, 13 May, 2016, 02:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

Arrgggh - no Saturday prog again!

I'll review what I can - cover looks great.

The Bart Dredd one in particular...

The Monarch

Now i can buy tc as a shower of pricks!

Just see the issue of the mega collection this fortnight for proof of that

The Adventurer

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Geoff

It's here - along with the Meg no less - postie must have been delayed by thrill suckers!

McNulty

Dredd: It definitely seems like the Texans have an agenda in their help with Mega City One. I do remember that Texas City did help in the reconstruction of the big Meg after Necropolis, maybe they want to do more than lend Mega City One some judges. Nice nod to Forbidden Planet in Brit Cit. I loved that the alien tourists were trying to get around Brit Cit with a map of Aberdeen! I never had the 2000AD Brit Cit justice dept down as being capable of such callous cruety in shooting one of their own. The Megazine version certainly, but the Brit Cit shown in 2000AD didn't show such a harsh edge to it.

Survival Geeks: I enjoyed this ending. What's wrong with Highlander? I enjoyed it.

Slaine: This chapter hasn't really done it for me this time around. The pacing is slow and the artwork isn't my favourite. I would prefer more in detail in the backgrounds - this week we had white backgrounds or green grey walls.

Brink: Not into this series too much talking heads.

Tainted: The earlier comments have brought up a point I never considered, with Deadworld being so different from Mega City One, I never thought that they could have been a Judge Dredd dimensional counterpart, but if they had a Judge system, why not? This series has really fleshed out Death's world, introducing elements not before shown. I assumed that their technology was not as advanced as Dredd's world, but now we have their versions of lawmasters with artificial intelligence. It seems like this world didn't have a worldwide Atomic war and Death had to resort to other methods of mass destruction to eradicate life - poisoning the air, the water and the food supply. In earlier flashbacks in other stories, we see the Purges - where the citizens are lined up to receive death at the hands of the Dark Judges. This surely would have taken hundreds of years to finish. Also, if it was the entire world's population that was destroyed, including all animal and plant life - it never could have been accomplished without other measures.

Finally, has it ever been explained how Death and his Dark Judges came back to attack that spaceship. The last I heard, Death had been defeated shortly after Las Vegas was nuked and the rest of the Dark Judges were captured by PJ Maybe. I must have missed that explanation.

Steve Green

It was never explained how Death got back from being pulled down into hell after Vegas.

He's a magic zombie in spirit form, not a physical being after all.

He possessed the spirit of Cutler(?) who released the other Dark Judges from PJ Maybe - they all presumably hitched a lift inside the same body.

In the Stallone/Lawman of the Future version of Death, Judge Death actually was an alternate version of Dredd who'd been killed in action.

Andy Lambert

Quote from: flip-r mk2 on 13 May, 2016, 02:58:22 PM
The cover for Prog 1981 has gone up on Facebook.

filippo

Wonderful cover, but I can see some amusing edits being made to it - it's almost asking for it..! ;)

hippynumber1

The 'Coming Soon' box has been bothering me all day; I love MacNeil's art but am I the only one who thinks he's an odd choice for Defoe?

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 14 May, 2016, 08:35:21 PM
The 'Coming Soon' box has been bothering me all day; I love MacNeil's art but am I the only one who thinks he's an odd choice for Defoe?
Nope, Chaos Day show's he can do hordes of Reek like "runners" no problem, and he retains enough of Gallaghers style whilst still very much being his own man to make it work.

jannerboyuk

Quote from: Echidna on 14 May, 2016, 12:49:48 PM
Quote from: Butch on 13 May, 2016, 05:33:38 PM

Why is Dredd wearing a black conical hat?

He does look a bit Coneheads, doesn't he

explains why he never takes off his helmet

Richard

You only have to look at that picture of a reek to see that MacNeil is an excellent choice for that series. It's been a long time since we saw him do black and white, and while I normally prefer colour I think his art looks better in black and white. There's more detail.

I'm not usually keen on Slaine, but I liked thus episode, with the bad guy gloating about how he's going to defile Slaine's corpse...

It's a good cover, but not really relevant as Dredd isn't in this prog. I think that would be a bit confusing for new readers.

It was explained in Dark Justice that the Sisters of Death rescued Judge Death from Hell or wherever he was.

It's not possible that Fairfax could actually be Dredd's counterpart in another dimension, because the worlds' histories are too different. And if these events happened in Mega-City One, Dredd wouldn't run away to save his own skin. He'd save the city or die trying.

JUDGE BURNS

Surprised to find the latest prog AND the Meg on my doormat this afternoon. Its unusual to have them delivered on a Saturday for a change.

Cracking cover this week ( despite DREDD not making an appearance, so my Saturday night is sorted with the kids on the xbox , my wife working late shift at the care home and me with my reading material sorted  :-)

Still not too sure about the Brink story. Simon Davis' art is awesome on Slaine, not much of a story just one long fight scene... loving survival geeks , shame its finished though. Tainted is a great vision of life ( and death) on deadworld , looking forward to the next chapter....

Frank

Following Echidna's hilarious tinkering, here's Jon Davis Hunt's cover image reinterpreted in the style of Washington Irving, by David Whitehead of the 2000ad Discussion Group:

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: flip-r mk2 on 13 May, 2016, 02:58:22 PM

Did anybody remember this Slaine cover?

Same amount of face shown here!

Same shape of face two!

If I had the patience, I might try a facial swap just to see if it fits.

Woolly

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 15 May, 2016, 02:46:44 AM

Did anybody remember this Slaine cover?

Same amount of face shown here!

Same shape of face two!

If I had the patience, I might try a facial swap just to see if it fits.

Is it normal for Slaine to have such a tiny head?  :o