Main Menu

The Film Star Challenge!

Started by JamesC, 17 February, 2017, 10:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

I'd get bored watching any lead actor for 24 hours. Sam Jackson's the best shout so far; not because he's so memorable as Jules Winnfield, but because he barely registers in Coming To America, Goodfellas, and The Exorcist III.

Bob Balaban (Grand Budapest Hotel, Ghost World, Catch-22) takes as his maxim that it's better to be consistently warm than hot, and supporting actors like Robert Duvall (To Kill A Mockingbird, Apocalypse Now, The Road) or John Goodman (the Coen Bros, Monsters Inc, and Trumbo) have spent their lives playing the lead actor's pal.

Who can forget Ron Rifkind's excellent turns in Silent Running, Husbands and Wives, and LA Confidential, the late James Rebhorn popping up in Carlito's Way, The Game, and The Talented Mr Ripley, or the even later Ruth Gordon mugging her way through Harold And Maude, Rosemary's Baby, and Every Which Way But Loose?

Everybody can, which is why a marathon of their films wouldn't grate in the way the films of Toms Cruise, Hardy or even Hanks would.

JamesC

You could certainly have a great night by choosing some lesser-known bit-part stallwarts. If you like action films, you could easily while away a day watching films in which Al Leong plays some sort of henchman (even though some of those roles are uncredited).
If we were generous enough to allow stunt performers we may be able to come up with an almost unbeatable list of top action films.

Goaty

Rara Avis

Magnetica

Easy one for me - any of :

Clint
Arnie
Harrison Ford

Daveycandlish

Peter Cushing could get you a Laurel and Hardy comedy, Dracula, Frankenstein, 1984 (admittedly a tv show, not film) and Star Wars  :)
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

SIP

Quote from: Magnetica on 18 February, 2017, 06:11:38 PM
Easy one for me - any of :

Clint
Arnie
Harrison Ford

Yup. I'm down with that.

M.I.K.

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 18 February, 2017, 09:46:25 PM
Peter Cushing could get you a Laurel and Hardy comedy, Dracula, Frankenstein, 1984 (admittedly a tv show, not film) and Star Wars  :)

...and Biggles.

You could also amuse yourself by keeping a tally of all the magnifying glasses he looks through.

Fungus

Peter Sellers?
To some Pink Panthers, add Dr Strangelove, Lolita and Being There.
Got to enjoy British films, and he definitely - excepting Clouseau - mixed things up a *lot*.

Tony Angelino

Clint Eastwood has a body of work that no other actor can currently get near. He's been a major star since the mid 60's and I could easily watch the three 'Dollar' films, Kelly's Heroes, Where Eagles Dare back to back and then move on to the Harry movies, Eiger Sanction etc.

Harrison Ford might be second although I really would only watch the first three Star Wars, first three Indys, Force 10 From Navarone and The Fugitive. I wouldn't be that keen on many of his other films.

Laurel and Hardy are a possibility as well although a lot of their stuff were 'shorts' if memory serves me right. I'm not sure they were all fully fledged films.

I have re-assessed Arnie in recent years and I barely rate his films at all now. He's got the first two Terminators and Predator. Other than that I'm not really interested in his stuff and think its pretty poor. Has anyone watched Commando recently? I loved that when I first saw it. Now its just horrendous. Its almost so bad its good.

SIP

I've certainly watched Commando recently and it's still f***ing awesome.

Tony Angelino

I could go on a rant about Commando that would last hours. I wouldn't even know where to start with it.

It's not even Arnie's worst film.

Frank

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 18 February, 2017, 10:46:38 PM
I really would only watch the first three Star Wars, first three (Indiana Jones) films

Blade Runner, Apocalypse Now and American Graffiti have small but dedicated followings.

Tony Angelino

I don't really count Apocalypse Now as to me he doesn't have a significant enough part in it. Blade Runner is ok and I've never seen American Graffiti.

My main issue with Harrison Ford is that after The Fugitive I felt he just made one forgettable movie after another.