Main Menu

The Film Star Challenge!

Started by JamesC, 17 February, 2017, 10:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Bill Murray & Tom Hardy are my favorite choices from the ideas so far.

For my sins, the actual answer will be Tobin Bell.
I want to re-watch the entire Saw series before Saw Legacy hits cinemas in October.

sheridan

Quote from: Rara Avis on 20 February, 2017, 11:29:28 AM
Good choice.
I would recommend this one:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0839938/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_23

Thanks for the heads up - he appears to have had an interesting career as lead actor in New Zealand films, then smaller parts in variable quality US films (as I say, I haven't seen most of them) before rising to more consistently good quality films.  The typical journey of a non-US actor breaking Hollywood then.

Tony Angelino

Quote from: Frank on 19 February, 2017, 10:27:43 PM

As well as money, it's probably because Caine's a very good actor. There must be an element of seeing whether he can still be good in any old shite, or elevate something ordinary. His screen acting masterclass is sort of legendary in thesp circles:

https://youtu.be/bZPLVDwEr7Y?t=2m8s

I've only watched five minutes of it but will watch the rest of it tonight. I'll be watching for him not blinking in his movies now.

Rackle

Quote from: sheridan on 20 February, 2017, 02:09:24 AM
By the way - Karl Urban.

• Lord of the Rings
  • Star Trek
  • some film in 2012
  • Pete's Dragon
  • the upcoming Thor: Ragnorok
  • a whole host of interesting looking films I haven't seen yet

I could quite happily spend the day watching Karl Urban films.  Or Viggo Mortensen   :D

Satanist

As Caine has already been called I'll go for Gene Hackman and these...

The Royal Tenenbaums
The Quick and the Dead
Superman II
Young Frankenstein
The Poseidon Adventure

Some obvious misses that I either don't like or have seen to much.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

ming

I'd probably go for Yuen Biao; I'd certainly find it very easy to fill a day watching anything from the list below (which are all on the shelf at home anyway) and these span enough of a range of genres to keep me entertained.  He's not the main character in a lot of these but that doesn't matter, does it?

The Young Master
The Prodigal Son
Winners and Sinners
Project A
Zu Warriors from the Magic Mountain
Wheels on Meals
My Lucky Stars
Mr. Vampire
Millionaire's Express
On the Run
The Iceman Cometh
Once Upon a Time in China

I, Cosh

Quote from: ming on 21 February, 2017, 02:47:57 PM
I'd probably go for Yuen Biao; I'd certainly find it very easy to fill a day watching anything from the list below (which are all on the shelf at home anyway) and these span enough of a range of genres to keep me entertained.  He's not the main character in a lot of these but that doesn't matter, does it?
A list which doesn't even include Dragons Forever!
We never really die.

Frank

Quote from: Pegasus P Artichoke on 20 February, 2017, 07:41:03 AM
Another actor i could watch is JT Walsh, he was a terrific character actor

Character actors give you variety. Walsh turning up in a film was like bumping into an old friend; you always knew he'd be great, so seeing him walk into frame stamped a seal of quality on the video you were watching.

Sadly missed, especially since he was born (and died) too soon to play the starring role that would have elevated him from being very good in other actors' vehicles to a dramatic lead, in The Bill Hicks Story*:

The Negotiator

Breakdown

Sling Blade

Nixon

Outbreak

The Client

Blue Chips

The Last Seduction

Needful Things

Red Rock West

A Few Good Men

Backdraft

Misery

The Grifters

Crazy People

Good Morning, Vietnam

House of Games

Hannah and Her Sisters

* Not a real thing. I just mean they looked alike, even if Walsh was too old to play Hicks by the time Hicks was famous enough to warrant a biopic.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

JLC

Trent

Just watching McFarland USA and would happily spend a day watching Kevin Costner movies.
From The Untouchables to Field of Dreams, No Way Out, Mr. Brooks, Wyatt Earp etc a really good selection of movies.
I really rate Costner and find it interesting that he really seems to polarise opinion unlike most other actors, but the films mentioned would keep me happy for a day.

JamesC

Costner is an interesting one. I'm no fan but he's been in some decent stuff.

Female actors are much harder to call though. For example, I really like Geena Davis but I'd struggle to fill a day watching her films. Likewise Sharon Stone.

Mardroid

I guess Sigourney Weaver would be an obvious one. You can get four Alien films* and two Ghostbusters** films out of that.

And Avatar too, if you like. I found it overrated when it first came out, yet not as unlikable as many people made out after watching it. Despite the amazing CGI world brought to life, the story was actually pretty decent... albeit done a couple of times before.  (I'd sooner watch A Man Called Horse though, even with the eye-watering stuff with the extreme piercings and such, but that doesn't feature Sigourney, that I remember.)

*It helps that I quite like the last two that others tend to think of as bad.

** It helps that I'm rather fond of the Ghostbusters sequel, which is maligned in some quarters. Oh, it perhaps lacks originality when comparing it with it's predecessor, but I thought it a fun film overall.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Mardroid on 14 March, 2017, 04:12:19 PM
And Avatar too, if you like. I found it overrated when it first came out, yet not as unlikable as many people made out after watching it. Despite the amazing CGI world brought to life, the story was actually pretty decent... albeit done a couple of times before. 

It was done better as Fern Gully.  :D
DDT did a job on me