Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

A couple of guys in the office were playing that yesterday, looked gorgeous but we only had a short break to give it a try and the opening cutscene was loooooong and unskippable. It mainly made me want to have a Rez session!

Misanthrope

Saints Row 2. Finished the game yonks ago, but I now spend my time making famous people to run around as.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

Simply Si

Does it have to be a computer game? Just finished a game of MTG Commander if that counts?!  :-\
Do you have to put something witty here?

I, Cosh

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 18 June, 2011, 05:46:39 PM
Got a review copy of Child of Eden through today.
It looks wonderful, and is quite and experience, but it is- when you boil it down- a standard on rails shooter. Still a lovely game though.
It kind of is, but so was Rez and that was still great. I foresee the same incessant replaying to get a perfect score on every level.  Favourite bit so far is the giant, luminous space-whale that turns into an even gianter space-phoenix thing.

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 18 June, 2011, 06:58:57 PM
A couple of guys in the office were playing that yesterday, looked gorgeous but we only had a short break to give it a try and the opening cutscene was loooooong and unskippable. It mainly made me want to have a Rez session!
Really? I don't recall any intro sequence, although I was very drunk when I first put it on.
We never really die.

Richmond Clements

QuoteI foresee the same incessant replaying to get a perfect score on every level.  Favourite bit so far is the giant, luminous space-whale that turns into an even gianter space-phoenix thing.

Agree on both counts! It took a couple of goes, but it has really sucked me in.

Tiplodocus

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D.

It's Ocarina of Time that you know and love but with polished 3D graphics, extra garnishing in many scenes, a fabulous touch screen inventory and map  plus some fancy gyroscopic control tricks.

The 3D and polished graphics really work to immerse you better; the lava and fire in Dodongo's Cavern was always a bit flat and lifeless but now you get a good sense of depth and scale.  The extra garnish is great; decorating the shops and the town and teh countryside but without getting in the way.  The touch screen inventory is just brilliant and makes life so much easier and saves a lot of fannying about. 

I'm not quite so sold on the "move your 3DS about to emulate the view" feature mainly because it sometimes takes you out of the 3D sweet spot and leaves you with a blurred double vision (not good when trying to aim) .

Nut overall, best game on the 3DS so far (though I am REALLY enjoying GHOST RECON)  and I'm looking forward to completing it ON MY OWN without children wrestling the Nintendo 64 or Gamecube or Wii controllers from me.

Tiny Tips convinced the kids to club together and get me this for Father's Day (I feel like a fraud).  But then I don't have a 3DS so Tiny Tips has ended up playing more than me. Clever boy.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Played long session of Lego Star Wars III on the Wii last night with the Boy - the missus was at a work thing, and we stayed up way beyond his school-night bedtime and were caught and roundly reprimanded on her return (I am irresponsible 'fun Daddy', apparently - guilty as charged).   But what a game - so much to do, so many ways to do it, so many mildly frustrating puzzles and the elation of discovering their solutions! 

Much like the DS and X-Box predecessors I'm familiar with, the real advantage of this game for playing with little kids is that you can plough through it satisfyingly working out solutions, and then once you have the basic answers for progression you can play it for points, then completeness etc. etc.  There's no danger of wee ones getting utterly frustrated by dying just short of the goal, and no danger of 'using up' the game by blasting through it. The vehicle modes in this one work brilliantly (taking control of a Vulture droid and stomping around the hangar blowing things up had me rolling about with glee), and there's some good intuitive use of the Wii controllers. 

Really great fun. 

Keef Monkey

Quote from: The Cosh on 20 June, 2011, 08:28:10 PM

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 18 June, 2011, 06:58:57 PM
Really? I don't recall any intro sequence, although I was very drunk when I first put it on.

Yeah, there was a few screens of text explaining the concept, then a film of Lumi in Eden getting overtaken by...badness or something. It may have been skippable, but we tried every button to no avail. Only annoying because we wanted a quick jump in and out, I don't skip cutscenes generally so it wouldn't bother me ordinarily.

JamesC

I'm playing Assassin's Creed Brotherhood at the moment (it's just come out on XBox classics) and I'm loving it.

I played AC2 last year which I enjoyed, but i rushed it a bit because i had other games waiting. Now I feel like going back and playing 2 again and then trying out the first game.

I love the over the top italian accents and the graphics are really lovely. I'll never get tired of burning down Borgia Towers or just galloping down narrow streets on horseback.

Richmond Clements

QuoteI'm playing Assassin's Creed Brotherhood at the moment (it's just come out on XBox classics) and I'm loving it.

My favourite game of the past couple of years.

Rog69

I bought Frozen Synapse a couple of days ago, it's not the usual type of game that I go for but it looked intriguing and a bunch of people I regularly game with all have it so I figured I could have some multiplayer fun.

Unfortunately I suck so badly at it that I'm too embarrassed to challenge any of my buddies to a game  :-[.

strontiumdawg

I'm mainly playing Black Ops at mo multiplayer, its like crack I can't seem to give it up, even though i know BAd Co 2 is by far the better game...  But the new zombies map looks pretty good :)

For Single player I've just returned to GTA4 as I only got a few missions in and other than that Dragon Age which is excellent and ties in nicely when I have just watched that game of thrones...

Peter Wolf

I just finished Call Of Duty 4 Modern Warfare and it was very very good so much so i want to play through it all over again.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Zarjazzer

Section 8. A good old fashioned,futuristic, FPS shoot-em-up. Alas the tossers at Micro-fuhrer have decided to lock me out from x-box live until tomorrow,(without which nothing get s saved in the game the w8nkers)  whilst they mull over my attempts to log in. The curse of the password is back...
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Keef Monkey

On the 4th 'interval' (of 8 I think) in Fear 3 (or F.3.A.R. if you're pedantic) and loving it. Loved the first two, still up there with my favorite shooters ever made, but have to admit I was sceptical about this. It's a different studio, and the trailers had been a bit cheesy, so it's a huge relief that they've done a great job.

If you hadn't been told it wasn't Monolith you'd never know, because it looks and feels like they've been at the wheel, and if anything the mechanics feel a lot tighter than 2 (and the movement is certainly less spongey). It's not been scary as such yet, just the odd jump here and there, but it is pretty intense and some of the new enemy types show they've been paying a lot of attention to Left 4 Dead and have done a good job re-appropriating that sense of panic. It helps that I'm playing it on the hardest setting, because I usually keep that for a 2nd playthrough but chose it on a whim and it means survival is far less certain which adds a ton of tension. The MP modes are great fun too (Fucking Run is particularly great).

Probably shouldn't praise it too highly without finishing it, but unless things go sorely tits up in the last half then I'd call this a great sequel.