Main Menu

The Board Game Thread

Started by radiator, 21 February, 2014, 03:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

I buy the 4th edition Talisman sets. They're in my loft, waiting for my boys to get old enough to play!
Lock up your spoons!

The Bissler

@Radiator:They're on to 6th edition 40K rules now. I wouldn't recommend buying them as the community is bleating that they are broken. 

radiator

Don't worry, there's no chance of that - my Warhammer days are well and truly behind me, save the odd videogame (I adored Space Marine!). What I meant was that I'd like to have a nostalgic one-off game.

2nd Ed FTW:

The Bissler

Nah!  2nd edition Space Marine (aka Epic)!  :)

CrazyFoxMachine

Now THAT is boxart. :O Stunning - and I thought Geoffery's LOTR board game had good art:

Bongo_clive

You people need to be watching/reading the following sites to keep up to date with these things!

http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/ For reviews with a British flavour

http://www.dicetower.com/ For reviews with an American flavour

http://boardgamegeek.com/ For everything you could possibly need.

But if you can't be bothered to click those, apparently this will be the next big game.

Bobblehead

I'll be checking out Netrunner,sounds good from what ive heard.
Also is that Richard 'Magic the Gathering' Garfield whos made that? Good pedigree!

Recently played a game called Small World with about 6 people.Was fun but we'd never played it before so it lasted ages  :P

We had Settlers of Catan but ran out of time so didnt get round to playing it :(

Keef Monkey

I got The Walking Dead too (assuming it's the same one, there's a telly licensed one and one based on the comics, mine is the telly one) and have a had a couple of really good games of it.

The Battlestar Galactica board game is also brilliant, but as the first game we played took 8hrs to get through it's been difficult to put aside a whole day where we can wheel it out again! No-one cared that it took 8hrs, we were having a blast and made a day of it. I hear some games can be really short, it just all depends how things turn out. A lot of really great cylon paranoia going around the table, great stuff!

Another one full of paranoia that's really worth checking out is Panic Station, a friend brought it round recently and it was fantastic. Basically a board game of The Thing, with accusations flying all over the place and a lot of mistrust. When you're desperately trying to convince your friend you're human before he turns a flamethrower on you it gets pretty tense!

Bongo_clive

Bobblehead

Ive played one game of that Bongo_clive,with about 6 people,for about 3 hours and we got to turn 4!
I assume its not supposed to last so long but in our defence it was our first time playing it and we were using the Necromancer expansion too. I was Hill + Elves or something and i was doing ok until the fragile unspoken alliance id made with 2 other people collapsed into betrayel and bloodshed.
Enjoyed the game though,the Necromancer player won on turn 4 by getting all her ghost tokens out.

James Stacey

I enjoy playing battlestar but it tends to be that if the person who is a cylon declares early then they usually win easily. I've been enjoying Alhambra recently. Persian gardening is more fun than it should be.
Lords of Waterdeep is also a lot of fun, especially if you insist everyone narrates what they are doing in a mock serious fantasy voice.
I also find Tsuro fun for a quick game

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Bongo_clive on 26 February, 2014, 01:50:35 PM
Anyone play this?

My girlfriend and I play that all the time. Very fun game.

mimikeke

some pics of Lords of Waterdeep and Death Angel in case you are the type to get swayed by fancy art :)

Ancient Otter

Quote from: Bobblehead on 24 February, 2014, 08:40:13 AM
I'll be checking out Netrunner,sounds good from what ive heard.
Also is that Richard 'Magic the Gathering' Garfield whos made that? Good pedigree!

He kind of designed it. Back in the day in the '90s he  made a collectible card game called Netrunner, a spin off of the Cyberpunk 2020 RPG. Fantasy Flight Games brought the rights, rejigged it to the setting of their Android/Infiltration games and changed it from a collectible card to a ''living card game" i.e no buying packs of randomly assorted cards, all sets come with the same cards so you know what to buy to build what decks you want.

Ancient Otter

Oh yeah, where's Tordelback? I'd thought he'd be all over this thread!