Main Menu

The Board Game Thread

Started by radiator, 21 February, 2014, 03:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Satanist on 05 September, 2016, 10:58:55 AM
We played Sheriff of Nottingham at the weekend and I learned that I cannot lie. The aim of the game is to sneak contraband through without getting caught. I failed so badly. Every time I declared I was transporting 3 bread instead of my actual load of crossbows I would start sniggering uncontrollably giving the game away. Quite a fun wee game and we all had a good laugh at how terrible I was.

Oddly, my favourite card game is "Cheat" (or "Lying Bastich", as I prefer to call it).
Lock up your spoons!

Satanist

Fantasy Flights are losing the GW licence which means lots of good stuff may become rare depending on whether GW bring out their own versions, details here...

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/9/a-new-path-forward/

There's some good stuff on that list which I'm gonna have to get, mainly Fury of Dracula as that just came back in print.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

The Enigmatic Dr X

Bummer. I really like their Talisman and have all the expansions.

(Or should that be: To eBay!)
Lock up your spoons!

Theblazeuk

Any of youse around Manchester, Fanboy 23 had a fair few FFG/GW books and games in stock when I was there on Monday.

Satanist

Played Exploding Kittens at weekend and it is good. Could become our go to card game but will need a few more games to be sure.

Finally won at Sheriff of Nottingham (getting better at lying)

Lost 3 games of Pop-Up-Pirate to a 2 year old  :lol: I will have my revenge!

sheridan

We popped in to a Games Workshop shop while in York - just to see what figures were out these days (certainly not going to buy any of them new!) - had some very good news - Blood Bowl is going to be released later this year!  Not Blood Bowl Manager card game, but the real deal - though I'm not completely up to date on which races are current in WH40K or WHFB so presumably there won't be any ratlings, snotlings or squats :-(

Satanist

Always wanted to play that so will keep an eye out for a release date.

Is GW still called that as I noticed the shop in Glasgow is now just WARHAMMER

I, Cosh

Quote from: Satanist on 21 September, 2016, 02:47:22 PM
Think they started rebranding them about a year ago. They had to change the one in Newcastle back to GW as everyone kept thinking it was a hardware store.
We never really die.

radiator

Finally got around to playing a game of 7 Wonders last night.

I enjoyed it, but it seems a little over-complicated to work out scoring (to the point where it feels like maths homework, especially after a few pints) and there are so many different kinds of cards to memorise that we spent the entire game checking the reference sheet. As a result, I can't see this one really catching on with my group in the way that, say, the far more intuitive Splendour has.

sheridan

Quote from: I, Cosh on 21 September, 2016, 03:02:00 PM
Quote from: Satanist on 21 September, 2016, 02:47:22 PM
Think they started rebranding them about a year ago. They had to change the one in Newcastle back to GW as everyone kept thinking it was a hardware store.

Our hardware store at that ;)

sheridan

Quote from: radiator on 14 October, 2016, 06:14:24 PM
Finally got around to playing a game of 7 Wonders last night.

I enjoyed it, but it seems a little over-complicated to work out scoring (to the point where it feels like maths homework, especially after a few pints) and there are so many different kinds of cards to memorise that we spent the entire game checking the reference sheet. As a result, I can't see this one really catching on with my group in the way that, say, the far more intuitive Splendour has.

We used to play Seven Wonders so much that I threw together a spreadsheet to aid in working out totals

Third Estate Ned

After a long wait, the Judge Dredd booster pack to Munchkin Apocalypse has finally arrived.

http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/35825/judge-dredd-joins-munchkin-apocalypse

radiator

QuoteWe used to play Seven Wonders so much that I threw together a spreadsheet to aid in working out totals

Haha, I actually have an app - 'Wonder Score' - on my phone that does the same thing - it even calculates Science bonus scores for you. It's still all a bit confusing though - at least, it is on first play through.

I recently picked up Lost Cities after playing a lot of the app version. It's a really, really good two player game. So simple, but with a surprising amount of strategy to it.

Theblazeuk

radiator

Huh. Don't Rebellion own Mongoose, or did I imagine that? Wonder who, if anyone, will get the license now?

Got to play Dominion over the weekend - I'd been waiting for the second edition to come out to pick it up (as the art on the old edition was horrendous). It's fun.... but it seems a little flabby and uneventful compared to Star Realms (which I've been playing a lot recently). I'll persevere with it and see how I get on.

Speaking of Star Realms - man oh man, what a game. I bought it ages ago on a whim, and it's surprisingly become by far my favourite 2 player game of all of those I've tried over the last few years. Me and a friend played four games back to back at the pub the other night, and we only stopped playing because the pub was closing. I picked up the Colony Wars deck so we can try it out with 3-4 players, and also the Cosmic Gambit expansion.

Also played 7 Wonders: Duel. Really fun game. Bit of a mission to set up (and with so many interconnected play mechanics it's a lot to concentrate on at once) but I like it! Seems a bit more focused than the full version of the game.