Main Menu

New old NES!

Started by JamesC, 14 July, 2016, 04:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

To tide us over until the NX launch, Nintendo are releasing a mini version of the 8bit NES with 30 games installed.
It has a very strong line up of classic titles including all three 8Bit Super Mario games, Castlevania 1 and 2, kid Icarus, Bubble Bobble and both 8Bit Zeldas!
Day one purchase for me!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/07/nintendo_entertainment_system_nes_classic_edition_coming_this_november_ships_with_30_games

Hawkmumbler

Can't say no to that! :D
8-Bit Metroid AND Mega-Man 2? Yes please!

Michael Knight

Oh my days this is so cool! Definitely want to buy one of these!  :)

IndigoPrime

Amusing to see Nintendo finally doing this, given that cheap rip-offs of this kind of thing have been doing the rounds for a decade or more. Amazing that they still have rights to some of the old coin-ops like Bubble Bobble. Those conversions must have come with a seriously watertight contract. (Also: no cart slot? Pfft.)

Link Prime

Now that is unexpected.
I can see this doing very well over the Christmas period. I'll certainly be getting one, and a few more for gifts too.

I've already purchased most of the games on Wii U / 3DS Virtual Console, but who could resist this?
The price seems too good to be true. The NES games retail for approx €5 on VC, so this is €150 worth of classic Nintendo software for €60, all in a Happy Meal sized retro console.
A no-brainer.

Rately

This looks utterly fantastic.

My parents wouldn't get me one, so, finally, the twenty odd year wait is nearing an end.

Hawkmumbler

It really is quite a brilliant little console concept. It's what, £30? For 30 classic games i cluding, as i've already said FUCKING MEGA MAN 2 which is probably one of the best platformers of all time. 30 bob for 30 vintage games is just oure class.

I, Cosh

Sounds like fun, especially for the price.

Will be quite interesting to see how the games themselves hold up for me. Obviously, I lived through the 8-bit era but it was all Amiga to Sega where I grew up so I have absolutely no nostalgia for Nintendo the way I do for, say Alien Breed or Toejam & Earl. The ones I know from the list are the arcade incarnations.
We never really die.

Link Prime

Quote from: The Cosh on 15 July, 2016, 11:03:13 AM
it was all Amiga to Sega where I grew up so

Pfffft. 16-Bit Johnny-come-lately.

JamesC

Available for pre-order now:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/07/guide_where_to_preorder_the_nintendo_nes_classic_mini_in_the_uk

£50 for the console and £8 for an extra controller.

Weirdly, the UK version doesn't come with a plug adapter, just a USB charging lead. You can buy USB chargers from Poundland though, so it's not a big problem.

Link Prime

James Stacey

Quote from: JamesC on 15 July, 2016, 11:14:34 AM
Weirdly, the UK version doesn't come with a plug adapter, just a USB charging lead. You can buy USB chargers from Poundland though, so it's not a big problem.
Nintendo love that sort of thing to keep costs down. See also DS & 3Ds's which never came with a charge cable

I, Cosh

Quote from: Link Prime on 15 July, 2016, 11:13:20 AM
Ha ha! Master System was the 8 bit rival to the NES wasn't it?

Don't make me tell you all about my Acorn Electron!
We never really die.

Link Prime

Quote from: James Stacey on 15 July, 2016, 11:56:20 AM
Nintendo love that sort of thing to keep costs down. See also DS & 3Ds's which never came with a charge cable

Just the recent 3DS XL if I recall James- my DS & 3DS came with a charger.

The Sega Master System was indeed the 8-Bit rival of the The NES, Cosh. Nowhere near as popular though.

Ironically,  a decent catalogue Sega Master System (and Megadrive) games are now available through Nintendo VC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Wii_(PAL_region)#Sega_Master_System_.28500_Nintendo_Points.29

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: The Cosh on 15 July, 2016, 12:23:14 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 15 July, 2016, 11:13:20 AM
Ha ha! Master System was the 8 bit rival to the NES wasn't it?

Don't make me tell you all about my Acorn Electron!

I loved my Acorn Electron!  But I also loved my SNES.