Main Menu

Go 8-Bit

Started by Dudley, 31 August, 2016, 08:29:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudley

I'm probably a bit invested as I've watched a mate develop this over the past 4-5 years, but even with that bias I reckon some forum members might enjoy this.  New series devoted to old skool games, on Dave, starting Monday (but first episode is here - http://uktvplay.uktv.co.uk/shows/dara-o-briains-go-8-bit/watch-online/).

Keef Monkey

Got this marked on the calendar, definitely something me and the wife will watch. Both big fans of Dara (and Ed Byrne who seems to be appearing too) and games so should be a great weekly sit-down.

Steve Green

Thanks - a lot of the Dave stuff passes me by since it's not on Freesat.

Dara's a good host for it.

Greg M.

Unfortunately, the presence of Dara puts me off it a bit - it's not that I dislike the guy, but he seems somewhat omnipresent on tv at the moment.

SaintofKillers

I've seen the live version of this earlier this year... Really clever idea! Super funny.

I hope they haven't changed it too much for TV.

Ta for the link Dudley.

CrazyFoxMachine

Blimey how strange I used to live with the brother of one of the team captains - very surreal  :o

Dandontdare

Quote from: Greg M. on 31 August, 2016, 11:01:20 AM
Unfortunately, the presence of Dara puts me off it a bit - it's not that I dislike the guy, but he seems somewhat omnipresent on tv at the moment.
but when he's discussing video games he's priceless - he articulated everything I hate about owning the whole of a games content .when you've paid £40 for it ..

(drunkenly paraphrasing) you buy a book - Chapter two - the book says "I don't think you understood chapter one properly, so I'm gonna make you re-read it over and over before I'll allow you to read the second chapter. Or you buy a CD and after Track one it says  "you didn't dance well enough to listen to track 2"

Bottom line - I like Dara (that horrible 9/10 cats show not withstanding)

IndigoPrime

8/10 Cats is Jimmy Carr, not Dara. He helms Mock the Week and a bunch of science stuff (most of which is really good).

As for Go 8-bit, I watched the first one last night and it's an oddball. It felt very much like a scrappy pilot, created by mates, and entirely not what a stuffy executive would want to see. From what I've seen of the original live show, the studio one is (unsurprisingly) far less anarchic, but it was still amusing enough, if overly long at nearly 45 minutes. Plus the UKTV app is dogshit, which doesn't help.

Dandontdare

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 01 September, 2016, 10:42:41 AM
8/10 Cats is Jimmy Carr, not Dara. He helms Mock the Week and a bunch of science stuff (most of which is really good).

ah yes of course. Can't stand either programme - comedy is not a competitive sport.

IndigoPrime

MTW is almost a good show, but it dates really rapidly, and pits the comedians against each other rather than having them collaborate. They just want to get in 'their bit', which is usually cut and pasted from their stand-up routines. It's no coincidence that the most successful round is the one ripped from Whose Line is it Anyway?, 'Scenes we'd like to see', which is essentially 'Scenes from a hat'. It's a pity Dan Patterson said during a MTW recording that there had been attempts to resurrect WLIIA? in the UK, but no-one was interested. (Fast and Loose seemed to be an attempt by the back door, but was awkward and flawed.)

Steve Green

Watched the online version - yeah, that was great fun - the broadcast seems to have gone down as well with gamers.

Fungus

Found this to be car-crash television, I'm afraid. You've got the games themselves which feel perfunctory... then the banter. Tales of weekends sitting in your pants playing games isn't great telly.

But then, I'm not a gamer (since 1980-something).