Main Menu

prog 1814 the martian monocles

Started by JUDGE BURNS, 05 January, 2013, 12:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 09 January, 2013, 05:49:38 PM
The repeated mis-print 'mutsie' in SD was a tad distracting.
I assumed it was deliberate. A corruption of mutie and gypsy, as they were travellers.

I was very surprised to find myself interested by and engaged in Savage for the first time in years. The fatalism/death wish stuff in the middle of the episode gave me hope that we might be heading for an actual ending of sorts. I'm not just being catty there, a satisfying ending to Savages one-man war would actually be something worth reading. Although there are, of course, all sorts of possibilities for stories about someone like him trying to find a place in the world after the bombs have stopped so it probably wont happen.
We never really die.

Richmond Clements

Quoteassumed it was deliberate. A corruption of mutie and gypsy, as they were travellers.

Ah! Good thinking!

sheldipez

The double page spread for Savage was my highlight and I thought Ampney Crucis Investigates was great.  I could live without The Red Seas and Strontium Dog though.

Proudhuff

Quote from: The Cosh on 09 January, 2013, 06:05:04 PM
I was very surprised to find myself interested by and engaged in Savage for the first time in years. The fatalism/death wish stuff in the middle of the episode gave me hope that we might be heading for an actual ending of sorts.

same here, the knowledge that his time had come/passed and go out in a blaze would seem apt and in character, him in the post War years would be like Dredd in the CJ's chair, Conan on the throne etc
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Proudhuff on 10 January, 2013, 09:58:30 AM
I was very surprised to find myself interested by and engaged in Savage for the first time in years. The fatalism/death wish stuff in the middle of the episode gave me hope that we might be heading for an actual ending of sorts.

same here, the knowledge that his time had come/passed and go out in a blaze would seem apt and in character, him in the post War years would be like Dredd in the CJ's chair, Conan on the throne etc

See I think there's potential for at least one series in that. I can see Pat Mills coming up with something pretty sinister and intriguing about how the government(s) deal with this man who they've used to led a rebellion in a time well they are trying to re-establish the status quo.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 10 January, 2013, 10:55:00 AM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 10 January, 2013, 09:58:30 AM

See I think there's potential for at least one series in that. I can see Pat Mills coming up with something pretty sinister and intriguing about how the government(s) deal with this man who they've used to led a rebellion in a time well they are trying to re-establish the status quo.

retelling history with the Bollngton Club ( or whatever) as the heroes!
DDT did a job on me

Mabs

Programme 1814

Judge Dredd/ Hellers Last Stand Part 2; Really enjoyable stuff! I'm loving Peter Doherty's outstanding artwork. His almost watercolour style is quite reminiscent of Guy Davis' work. The opening pages with Judge Heller's ricochet shot cockup was really funny - as was his attempt at trying to cover up for it. Last page was superb; nothing stays hidden from Dredd...or does it? Looking forward to the next instalment.

Red Seas Part 3; I'm really enjoying this strip. The whole set up for me at least is quite intriguing. Theres some nice touch in the artwork, and the fact the devils triangle is outside the rule of time and we see all manner of oddity such as dinosaurs and fighter planes in the same place, is fascinating. The two page spread of the giants holding up the earth was superb, maybe not as awesome as the Kraken shot in Prog 2013, but still worthy of mention. And Yeowell's artwork is great.

Savage/ Rise Like Lions Part 3; unfortunately this right here for me is the weakest strip. I just cannot get into it, regardless of Goddard's brilliant black and white art. His two page spread of the Hammersteins wreaking the fury of grud was outstanding though.

Ampney Crucis Part 3; another great strip. Simon Davis is doing a stellar job on art duties and this week is the same. The opening to this was great, as was our protogonists meeting with the Martian ambassador. But all is not as cosy as it seems....

Strontium Dog/ Mutant Spring Part 3; its coming along nicely. Great to see Middenface back in the mix.

All in all a strong Prog. In terms of favourite; its gotta be Judge Dredd followed Red Seas and Ampney, with SD and Savage at the end. By the way the cover by Davis is magnificent. So far the best of the new year, although we don't have much to contend with at this time!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

House of Usher

Actually, I don't think it is a misprint. I found it a bit of an odd word to scan, too, but I think it's supposed to suggest 'muties' who are also gypsies. It's a portmanteau word.
STRIKE !!!

Richmond Clements

Quote from: House of Usher on 10 January, 2013, 09:41:25 PM

Actually, I don't think it is a misprint. I found it a bit of an odd word to scan, too, but I think it's supposed to suggest 'muties' who are also gypsies. It's a portmanteau word.

Yup, Cosh has already put me right on that!

MercZ

All in all, I liked the prog. I think SD was the weakest though, the storyline is slow starting there with what ever we'll see out of "Mutant Spring. Hopefully that'll pick up some steam later. I liked the two page spread on Savage. Ampney Crucis was nice to look at (the style matches with the surreal mood imo) and I'm already interested in seeing where it goes. Its presence on the prog's cover was also good.

I like the Dredd strip so far, I was amused how he already knew what Heller was aiming to do.

Since I'm a new subscriber I'm unfamiliar with Red Seas' past events, but it is an interesting one. I liked the shot of the giants in there too like Mabs mentioned.

Banners

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet, but I think it was deliberate.

;-)

Montynero

possibly a portmanteau of gypsy and mutie, difficult to say.

:D

Proudhuff

can I just point out, oh wait a mo...
DDT did a job on me

Richmond Clements

Hawkmumbler

Did we mention they where mutant gypsys at all? Just checking.  ;)