Main Menu

prog 1814 the martian monocles

Started by JUDGE BURNS, 05 January, 2013, 12:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

Quote from: vzzbux on 05 January, 2013, 01:36:24 PM
You have to remember Public schoolboy isn't just Tory. Many Labour piers are of the same ilk who pretend they have our best interests at heart. Many people seem to forget or don't realise this.
V

That said, they'd more likely be collaborators with the Volgans than resistance fighters. There would be more money in that and less chance of getting shot.

Really good Prog. Apart from the aforementioned panel in Savage making me a little bit sick in my mouth, and an apparently outdated reference to cordite in Judge Dredd, it's really firing on all cylinders. Ampney Crucis Investigates was my top thrill this Prog: a really novel twist on H.G. Wells' Martian landings.
STRIKE !!!

Rog69

I'm guessing from the low number of posts in this thread that a lot of other subscribers haven't received their prog yet either?

lborl

Quote from: Rog69 on 08 January, 2013, 07:41:55 PM
I'm guessing from the low number of posts in this thread that a lot of other subscribers haven't received their prog yet either?

Would also explain why none of the resident ballistics experts have flagged the unlikely cordite-smelling in Dredd, which is the first thing I expected to see here:
no-one's used it since around WWII. Quite a common writer's mistake, apparently.

Shame because just prior to reading that panel I'd just begun to marvel at how skillfully the current Dredd strip ties into and evokes various key elements of the DREDD film, eg the verbal Slo-Mo "[spoiler]in the aftermath of a gunfight, the senses are still acute[/spoiler]", while also being its own thing. Just took me out of it mid-marvel.

Personally I blame Nick Cave.

lborl

Ah heck. I've just now read House of Usher's post above. Aren't I a silly.

House of Usher

I am frankly amazed to see that kind of mistake being made in 2013 (let alone 2135). I thought this was the sort of thing writers talk to one another about.
STRIKE !!!

Goaty

Give us some time... we get digital copy of Prog 1813 on Monday, and Prog 1814 today!

Proudhuff

Quote from: Goaty on 09 January, 2013, 11:03:06 AM

Give us some time... we get digital copy of Prog 1813 on Monday, and Prog 1814 today!

and that's why the paperc opy is bestest  :D
DDT did a job on me

Montynero

Excellent prog. So good to get it back in my hands.

Dredd and Savage were the standouts for me. Morrisson's a great writer, and this is a beautifully written setup with a sweet cliffhanger. I wish he'd write more Dredd.

Savage is the most radical thing in the comic, which is amazing considering how long Pat Mills has been doing this. His passion still burns, where other veteran writers have mellowed and tired. There's a contemporary edge and energy to his best work which is a vital part of 2000ad, for me. Our generation is characterised by irony, or simply taking the piss - and Pat's got the balls to be earnest. To be serious. What makes it work here is the juxtaposition with [spoiler]an awesome robot invasion blasting their way into Liverpool, Cardiff, and Glasgow. Fantastic imagery throughout - with the 'Kil Dem Crew' and 'Bullingdon Boys' streetfighting and Charles and Diana 'praying for liberation' from Canada. Awesome! 
[/spoiler]

Proudhuff

Hmmm one man's 'mellowed and tired' is another man's matured and developed.
DDT did a job on me

Alien Goodness

Cover: I love Simon Davis's painted artwork. But like somebody else who posted earlier, found the two "halos" blocking the logo a strange design layout. Didn't work for me. Fairly confident that this year we'll see better covers than this.

Dredd: [spoiler]I know the corrupt cynical cop vs. straight guy is a cinema archetype, and we all knew that Dredd wouldn't be taken by surprise.[/spoiler] But I'm enjoying this story and the artwork.

Red Seas: Can't wait for this story to finish so I can say "Good riddance!"

Savage: I couldn't help comparing the two black and white stories. I read Colin_YNWA's post earlier on comparing Yeowell's art with Goddard's. He made some good points about the skill of simplicity and I know sometimes "less is more" in comic art. But it looks more like laziness to me. Goddard seems to put more effort into illustrating the story to me. In comparing the two double-page spreads, I prefer Goddard's.

Ampney Crucis: As somebody who has only returned as a regular subscriber to 2000AD in 2011 after a long absence, I didn't like my first taste of an Ampney Crucis story (though I loved the artwork!). TBH I was a little baffled. So I wasn't looking forward to his return, but I've been pleasantly surprised by this story. It's my second favourite after Dredd this week.

Strontium Dog: I'm sorry, but I switched off a little reading this. I find the pacing a little too slow and a nasty voice in my head goes "Same old. Same old." But Alpha is such an iconic character that I'm prepared to persevere...

Hawkmumbler

That Patrick Goddard is a bit good isn't he?

Montynero

The Adventurer

Goddard is technically good. But I find his style a tad uninteresting. Unlike, say, Yowell. Who, while maybe not at the top of his game is always drawing interesting things to look at.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Hawkmumbler

I feel like breaking the mould a bit, so while on the topic of art here's how I see it.

Dredd: I like Doherty's style, just not when it's bright like this. His dark 'Hills Have Eyes' style art for Ratfink was much betterm very moodey. Not top work here then alas.

Savage: Freakin LOVE Goddard on this, and everything really. That's one lovely torn apart BlackBlood, strangely satisfying to look at.

Red Seas: Yeowell is a bit bland for my taste. Looking at his stuff on Zenith, there was shadding and all that, yet here's it a bit TO minimal. A bit boring TBH.

Crucis: Simon Davis. When are we going to crown him one of the lesser god's of comic boo artistry?

Strontium Dog: Am I the only one who feels the super squierl isn't on top form here? Feel's a bit sloppy in comparison to his previous few works (The project, Durham Red, Abjudicators etc).

Richmond Clements

The repeated mis-print 'mutsie' in SD was a tad distracting.