Main Menu

Meg 358: Dial Hard

Started by Richard, 14 March, 2015, 06:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

Brilliant, brilliant artwork by Nick Percival on the Mean Machine story. More of this please.

Some more gruesome nastiness in Dredd this month, and American Reaper finishes. It's not for everyone, but I liked it.

A very nice tribute to Brett Ewins on the back cover, inside and out.

IndigoPrime

A really split issue for me. American Reaper was hard going, stretching out its last few pages in a manner that I'm sure some would consider filmic, but to be felt indulgent and stiff. I won't be sad to see it go. Harlem Heroes also continues to be as dreadful as I remembered it.

Fortunately, the rest was far more enjoyable. A curious but decent end to Mean Machine, a great Dredd, and Rennie's Pa backstory were all first-rate. Here's hoping for an uptick next month now ostriches are finally vanquished.

The Monarch

Does the floppy reveal whats next? Harlem heroes will never ever be read by me so just curious

Richard

Hawkmumbler

Geoff

The Dredd story is superb! A month is such a long time to wait for the next instalment..

I'm very pleased that American Reaper has finished. Some strips, of course, I like more than others, but there are very few strips that I don't actually read when I get my 2000ad or Meg, Reaper was one of them and it took up so much of the Meg. Looking forward to seeing what replaces it.

Pa's backstory and Mean's demise, love the art and the writing on both. 

Wonderful back cover by Rufus Dayglo in memoriam of Brett Ewins and tribute by Molch.

Freddychopper

Good issue but man, what a lot of pages (with no text!) for American Reaper! - Dredd is coming along nicely and love the Angelic storyline but the highlight for me was Michael Carroll's and Nick Percival's final days of Mean Machine story. Nice, sad end to the character (although I'm sure he'll be back?) - stunning art and what a cover!

Freddychopper

Ooops. Forgot to post the cover:

Ghost MacRoth

Cover: Very nice cover, but not fitting the banner very well....only got full appreciation of it when I saw the thumbnail inside, and realised how much detail has been obscured.

Dredd: Cracking tale, cracking art.

Interrogation: Too much space took up as always with this, but I did get drawn in a bit more than usual since it was art I really liked.

Ostriches:  Well, at least it's finished.  It goes out on an even more static , murky, overly cluttered episode than usual, and while I dearly hope it doesn't return, I suspect as there are those who do like it....it probably will be back.

Angelic: Particularly pleasing to get to this after wading through the previous tale!  Nice clean lines, and a much more traditional 2000ad type feeling to Carter's art.  The tale itself, loving it.  Did wonder though......my memory may be hazy on this...but wasn't Fink the oldest, then Linc, then Mean, then Junior?  So ask Pa awakes to the infant Linc.....and call's him Junior....mm, I guess we'll have to wait and see what's going on!

Rising Angel: Amazing the sympathy you can feel for a character who's an utter bastard!  Great art from Percival, and I can't help wondering.......if he had drawn 'Reaper', would it have been a bit more palatable?  Similar style to Langley....just clearer ad less 'busy'.  Who knows!

Brett Ewins Obituary: A fitting summation of a fella who I've never heard anyone say they didn't like his body of work.  A loss indeed to UK comics, as well as his nearest and dearest.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Freddychopper

Yeah, I LOVED the cover but I think they actually zoomed in somewhat, which cut off some of the detail.

Buttonman

Quote from: The monarch on 14 March, 2015, 09:04:54 PM
Does the floppy reveal whats next? Harlem heroes will never ever be read by me so just curious

Sorry but it's a 'continued next month' I'm afraid.

Sad to say it, but if I wasn't a subber this one would be left on the shelf. 20 pages of Reaper? C'mon even Dredd never sees that much, and it's his megazine!

Ghost MacRoth

Quote from: Freddychopper on 16 March, 2015, 03:25:40 PM
Yeah, I LOVED the cover but I think they actually zoomed in somewhat, which cut off some of the detail.

Yep, but thankfully there's a nice big version of it on the back of the prog - without the banner - to admire!
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Buttonman on 16 March, 2015, 03:38:05 PMSorry but it's a 'continued next month' I'm afraid.
But was that from the original Prog? The inside back cover says more Black Siddha.

QuoteSad to say it, but if I wasn't a subber this one would be left on the shelf. 20 pages of Reaper? C'mon even Dredd never sees that much, and it's his megazine!
20 pages given over to another strip wouldn't bother me, but Ostriches was divisive at best, and every episode could have been six pages and basically lost nothing.

Buttonman

Doesn't look like it's from the Prog - seeing as it says 'continued next month' rather than 'next week'. Going by Barney this run has the episodes between Progs 699-705 (not in 700) to go so that's six episodes left. May well be a split edition so both the Heroes and Siddah appear - one for the ages!

ZenArcade

Really looking forward to seeing how skewed from the time line Angelic gets this month. Loving it, roll on Wed. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead