Main Menu

Meg 355 - Ho Ho Drokkin' Ho, Creeps!

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 13 December, 2014, 02:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenArcade

It is pretty tedious stuff I agree....where does it fit into the Dredd world context. I know the answer by the way. I wish the Megazine would concentrate on the world of the 22nd century. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I believe Tharg dedicates some space in the Meg to creator owned content. Lilly Mackenzie and Numbercruncher are two of the best examples. I just don't buy the Meg if Reaper is in it. Like has been said, takes a hell of a lot of pages for nothing to happen. I seem to remember in the first installment it took two whole pages for someone to get shot. From the trigger being pulled to the bullet finding its mark. Two pages. The gunman and victim were both standing in the same small room. Two pages.
You may quote me on that.

Fungus

Thought experiment: imagine someone other than Pat Mills pitching AR, would we see it at all?
I think writer clout has a lot to do with this?

Ghost MacRoth

Good point.  Much as I love a lot of Mills' work.......... recently, not so much.  It could be that I'm not a fan of Langley either, so ABC is murky, and doesn't scan well, leading me to get bored.  Reaper is murky and doesn't go anywhere, leaving me REALLY bored.  Even the last Slaine story seemed like it should have been 2-4 episodes tops....but we had loads of him making his way.......leading me to get bored with even that.  Dunno if I've lost patience, or he's gained loads.....but whichever...I'm losing faith in his stuff.  Hopefully the Joe Pineapples/Bisley tale will re-invigorate my interest in his work.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Ach, the man wrote Nemesis, the Black Hole and Sky Chariots. I'll give him some leeway, but not a free pass.

Ghost MacRoth

Absolutely, and that's exactly what I mean...you just mentioned some great work from him.  None of it was recent was it. ;)

I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Ghost MacRoth

TordelBack

Quote from: Fungus on 30 December, 2014, 07:21:30 PM

You say clout, I say a back catalogue unequalled in British comics. Anyone can name half a dozen Mills strips they don't care for, but you'd be a lot longer naming all the ones that thrilled your socks off. He gets to write what he wants to write not because he's Pat Mills, but because the odds are good that the next script could be pure genius.

ZenArcade

Sh**t, you mean Mills next will be the equivalent of give my regards to Broadstreet! Z

My problem with a lot of his recent strips has nothing to do with the plots or whacky, undoubtedly Millsian concepts. It's the pacing that seems off.

Fungus

Quote from: TordelBack on 30 December, 2014, 08:28:52 PM
Quote from: Fungus on 30 December, 2014, 07:21:30 PM

You say clout, I say a back catalogue unequalled in British comics. Anyone can name half a dozen Mills strips they don't care for, but you'd be a lot longer naming all the ones that thrilled your socks off. He gets to write what he wants to write not because he's Pat Mills, but because the odds are good that the next script could be pure genius.

Hm, let's say 'pedigree' then. And if you read 2000AD you can't not be a fan.

AR is onto a third series of extremely long episodes and feels like an experiment that is sadly failing. Of course, the movie that comes out of it will be a smash  :o

ZenArcade

It has been pointed out that Mills had a massive creative patch in the mid to late 70's until the early 90's and it is the fervent hope of many on this thread that those heights of excellence will be regained. The gaps between his ultimate take on fresh original tales has widened hugely since then.  Those wonderful days, which we all loved and still yearn for will not be regained with the constant bombardment of boring interminable stories such as American Reaper or for that matter Savage and Flesh in the prog. However his recent revisiting of what, in my opinion, Slaine really meant, coupled with an invigorating, original artist ( Davis) does offer some hope. Z

Ghost MacRoth

Spaceghost

Quote from: ZenArcade on 30 December, 2014, 09:03:46 PM
It has been pointed out that Mills had a massive creative patch in the mid to late 70's until the early 90's and it is the fervent hope of many on this thread that those heights of excellence will be regained. The gaps between his ultimate take on fresh original tales has widened hugely since then.  Those wonderful days, which we all loved and still yearn for will not be regained with the constant bombardment of boring interminable stories such as American Reaper or for that matter Savage and Flesh in the prog. However his recent revisiting of what, in my opinion, Slaine really meant, coupled with an invigorating, original artist ( Davis) does offer some hope. Z

Personally, I think Defoe is up there with the best Mills has ever written, and Requiem Vampire Knight, another recent and ongoing series, is the best thing he's written since Nemesis.

I've got a lot of love for Pat Mills. In fact, on balance, he's probably my favourite comic writer of all time, but I just really don't like American Reaper. It's the worst Pat Mills story I've ever read.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...