Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenArcade

Yep the NHS, Public health information, decent wages and education arrest that sort of thing.  Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Old Tankie

What all because we leave the EU.

ZenArcade

Do you want to be left alone in a rump English/Welsh state (with NI thrown in and its associate political nematodal governing class). All under the care of a permanent conservative government, who's only aim is to perpetuate the wealth maximization of the class from which it derives. Good luck if you're of the poor or middling sort or if you are ill or hungry. Z

Old Tankie

But we are already living under a permanent conservative government! M

ZenArcade

You are also living within a supra-national political construct (The EU) which has strictly defined social and economic legislation (a lot of which is beneficial to the vast majority of us who didn't pop out of Mater with a silver spoon inserted fully between our lips).
David pork rodgerer and his merry bunch still have to accept and implement the laws i alluded to.
If there was an exit, things (bad as they are now) would guickly get a lot worse. Z

Old Tankie

Would that be the same EU that has imposed severe austerity, suffering and pain onto millions of its citizens, all in the name of competitiveness?

Look Z, you're a good guy and I totally respect your views and I am happy to concede that the EU does some good things. For me it's a balance between UK and EU sovereignty and I think it's shifted too much towards the EU. Cheers, Mike.

ZenArcade

Just putting my view across. Like many others here, a lot of what is currently happening in the EU causes me some dismay, but (there's always a but) it is infinatly preferable to what lies in wait for us outside if it. Z

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Old Tankie on 07 February, 2016, 12:38:50 PMBut we are already living under a permanent conservative government! M
Not yet, but we're in a position where it's hard to see how Labour could win a majority in 2020. Even a Labour/SNP coalition or supply/demand agreement is a huge stretch, given the way the media goes nuts whenever anyone suggests the Scots might have a sniff of the Cabinet.

Now add in the current government's attempts to declaw the Lords, the boundary changes that will work significantly in their favour, and the way in which the government is attempting to change law on party funding. An EU exit will almost certainly trigger a second Scottish referendum, at which point 2020 or 2025 will not mean we have a permanent Conservative government, but a situation where it would be nigh on impossible to oust them.

It's interesting to note Jim's points. The UK is clearly torn between people who genuinely believe the US model is the way forward, and those who would prefer something more Scandinavian. The two sides simply have incompatible ideologies, and so lots of people are going to be pissed off one way or the other. Personally, I'd sooner the UK remain inside the EU and push heavily for reform of the shit bits, while we keep the good bits (not least worker rights). The reality is the country's been heading in the other direction since Thatcher (who, today, it's claimed would not have wanted to leave the EU—probably accurate, given that she also thought privatisation of Royal Mail was a crazy idea).

Big_Dave

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 07 February, 2016, 01:58:23 PM
Quote from: Old Tankie on 07 February, 2016, 12:38:50 PMBut we are already living under a permanent conservative government! M

Not yet, but we're in a position where it's hard to see how Labour could win a majority in 2020.

conservatives in power since 1979
labour win in 2020 wont change that
labour win in 1997 didnt

pauljholden

Professor Bear

Yes, well, you can prove anything with facts.

Old Tankie

Yes and we are in the EU but if we leave everybody will get it.

COMMANDO FORCES

There you go then! The Tories and wanting to exit Europe gives you scurvy :lol:

Old Tankie

:D

ZenArcade

Yes Cf according to Old Tankie. Z