Main Menu

Hi everyone

Started by Vernoona, 10 September, 2016, 03:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vernoona

Hi everyone!

I'm very new to the 2000AD/Dredd universe. I live in Australia and first got into it when the Mega Collection started being released here last year.

I got the very fancy hardcover of the Case Files 01 for my birthday a few months back, and I wanted a new writing project so I'm reading one a day and writing about it over at dailydredd.wordpress.com from the perspective of a new reader. Very grateful for any feedback!

I'm actually pretty new to comics and graphic novels in general - have patience with me!

Colin YNWA

Welcome aboard.

Sounds like a fun and interesting project. Had a nosey at the site and its a good read and its always interesting to get the perspective on some 'classic' stories from someone new to the strip.

I always worry about Case Files 1 as I know its been immensely popular (well according to Molch-R marketing droid for 2000ad) but frankly many of the strips just ain't that good if you ask me (as it goes I've just started a re-read of the Progs this year so have re-read these early stories recently). So it will be very worth while to keep in touch with the thoughts of someone approaching them with an open mind and fresh perspective.

Hope you find enough in there to keep you going and while you do I'll do my best to keep along.

Have fun.

Vernoona

Thanks Colin!

I've definitely come across a few in the first batch that are not exactly stellar - but even then I think remembering the context and time they were published they are still fun to read.

Thanks to the Mega Collection I've read some of the progs ahead and know that things get a lot more epic and intense. It's been interesting to see things right from the start, what the creators keep and change and alter as they go along. There's something very exciting about seeing a work take shape as you go along.

ZenArcade

Hello and welcome Vernoona. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

sheridan

Welcome to the forum, and I'll keep an eye on the blog :-)

Vernoona

Thanks ZenArcade and Sheridan!

Jacqusie

Hi there Vernoona

welcome to the site and good choice! You know that you can get a subscription for 2000AD from the main website? I know you are a long way from the UK but they send them over to Oz... Speaking of which that there is a great Dredd epic that you must read!

Cheers

Si

WhizzBang

Welcome to the forum! What was it about Dredd that fired your enthusiasm? Case Files 1 has its clangers but once John Wagner takes over and gets a few stories under his belt things do pick up.

Vernoona

Quote from: Jacqusie on 10 September, 2016, 06:58:11 PM
welcome to the site and good choice! You know that you can get a subscription for 2000AD from the main website? I know you are a long way from the UK but they send them over to Oz...

Thanks Si - I'm considering getting a digital subscription!

Vernoona

Quote from: WhizzBang on 10 September, 2016, 08:17:03 PM
Welcome to the forum! What was it about Dredd that fired your enthusiasm?

The America graphic novel was very cheap as the 1st issue of the Mega Collection, and I really enjoyed that. But I think overall was 2 main things. 1: the brilliant idea that time has passed in the series as it is has for us and 2: the dark humour and satire elements.

I've never been into superhero comics because they take themselves so seriously, and also seem to reboot themselves every other week. I can't keep up!

sheridan

Quote from: Vernoona on 10 September, 2016, 10:01:11 PM
Quote from: WhizzBang on 10 September, 2016, 08:17:03 PM
Welcome to the forum! What was it about Dredd that fired your enthusiasm?

The America graphic novel was very cheap as the 1st issue of the Mega Collection, and I really enjoyed that. But I think overall was 2 main things. 1: the brilliant idea that time has passed in the series as it is has for us and 2: the dark humour and satire elements.

I've never been into superhero comics because they take themselves so seriously, and also seem to reboot themselves every other week. I can't keep up!
I do like that there have been a) no reboots and b) real-time progression of Dreddworld stories.  Another story, Strontium Dog, sort-of had real-world time passing in the stories as well, though unfortunately this went out of the window in the last few stories of the original run...

WhizzBang

Quote from: Vernoona on 10 September, 2016, 10:01:11 PM
I think there are plenty of people here who feel the same, myself included. I wouldn't call myself a comic book fan as I have no interest in anything to do with comics outside of 2000ad. All I can say to justify my interest in 2000ad is that it does genuinely entertain me and regularly hits the spot like nothing else around fiction-wise.

Colin YNWA

Enjoying the blog. Out of interest you mention that you the Case Files don't list artists etc. If you fancy finding out in Barney we trust...

http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=thrill&page=profiles&Comic=2000AD&choice=DREDD

Vernoona

Quote from: Colin_MakingyamindUP on 15 September, 2016, 09:01:58 PM
Enjoying the blog. Out of interest you mention that you the Case Files don't list artists etc. If you fancy finding out in Barney we trust...

http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=thrill&page=profiles&Comic=2000AD&choice=DREDD
Thanks Colin!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eamonn Clarke

Hi, Vernoona

Thanks for the retweets. I'm following you on the blog and twitter now. Good stuff.

cheers
eamonn