Main Menu

3A Toys/Rebellion Press Release

Started by Robo-K33F, 16 November, 2009, 01:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albion

Quote from: Albion on 22 July, 2016, 11:12:12 PM
1/12th Ro-Jaws too.  :D

Just noticed that Ro-Jaws arms are the other way round on the 1/6th version (as they are in the comic).
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

blackmocco

Quote from: TheTooN on 23 July, 2016, 01:46:28 PM
Another pic from the con borrowed from zzzzz on the 3A forum.

My pic, I might add! Ha!

Here's some more Satanus...

I'm a bit hit-and-miss with 3A. Loved the initial 1/6 Ro-Jaws and Mongrol but felt like the Dark Judges were a bit rough and I feared the same for Satanus when I saw the initial pics but in the F-L-E-S-H (see wot I did there?), it looks pretty great.

A little unclear about the scale. Seems a little too small to match the 1/6 scale line of figures. I'd have said 1/9 maybe but he's a big boy for sure. About the same mass as the 1/6 Mongrol.

But that Dredd...? It's absolutely beautiful. Best thing they've done so far, hands down. A must have.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

James Stacey

I love that Dredd and would be sorely tempted. Satanus just leaves me cold. Looks a bit like the sort of Dinosaur you could buy at the seaside for a tenner, just with a better paint job.

TheTooN

Quote from: blackmocco on 26 July, 2016, 12:47:30 AM
Quote from: TheTooN on 23 July, 2016, 01:46:28 PM
Another pic from the con borrowed from zzzzz on the 3A forum.

My pic, I might add! Ha!

Sorry, I didnt know to give you a shout out blackmocco. Many thanks for the pics, much appreciated seeing him up close and personal. Money in the bank right there !

I've seen a picture of the 1/6th and 1/12th Mongrols together, if Satanus is similar to the 1/6th he's a beast.

Quote from: James Stacey on 26 July, 2016, 08:49:48 AM
Satanus just leaves me cold. Looks a bit like the sort of Dinosaur you could buy at the seaside for a tenner, just with a better paint job.

I've already stuck my foot in my mouth saying worse. If your reading 3A, I apologise to all those involved with the project, 'Imaginext' was below the belt but was my gut reaction when I first saw pics. As someone on the fence with Satanus from the first announcement I wanted to be wrong and to love him. (I still do but it will take more than rose tinted memories) I would buy that sculpt, without the articulation.....but I know that misses the point.

I've not seen any comments from 3a as yet. How much of a prototype is it ? Could it have a fully covered vinyl body to hide the articulation in its final from ? Hot Toys Hulk used that to hide some of its artic and it worked pretty well imho.

Mikey

Think Satanus is meant to be 1/12, isn't it? Those are much better pics than I've seen so far and he's growing more and more on me (mind if I share?) The thing is, Satanus is a view of a Dino noone sees anymore and it looks anachronistic - this'll be a problem depending on the price.

And yeah blackmocco, I imagine it's a proto and I agree it's the visible articulation spoils it slightly. They've released a figure with a covered body already and it looks really well (Lasstranaut if you're interested - fairly iconic Ashley Wood totem).
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

TheTooN

Gregory has previously given dims for Satanus as 26-30cm tall. Head was 14cm wide or thereabouts from memory. Not quite in scale for 1/12th but a decent tradeoff given the limits of the pricetag.

I googled Lasstronaut and its very nicely done judging from the pics. Limbs look silky smooth in a variety of walking/standing poses.

TordelBack

I really like Satanus. Draping a dino in baggy skin and giving him that lumbering king-rat quality is brave as bejayzus and really works. Perhaps there's a market for that fabulously classic look, I certainly hope so, but at the likely price...?

Colin YNWA

I'm almost relieved by Satanus as I was thinking that I'd have a tough decision to make about whether I could justify the expense. Based on those pictures alone I'm not that impressed.

Clearly more will come but he looks a bit smooth, not gnarled and craggy as I expected, His features a little smooth and round maybe?

I'll see what else comes out but as it stands I'm saved a tough decision!

Dark Jimbo

Conflicted about Satanus. I can't say I love him on first sight, but on the other hand... 1/12th Satanus!!!
@jamesfeistdraws

blackmocco

Quote from: Mikey on 26 July, 2016, 09:46:09 AM
Think Satanus is meant to be 1/12, isn't it? Those are much better pics than I've seen so far and he's growing more and more on me (mind if I share?) The thing is, Satanus is a view of a Dino noone sees anymore and it looks anachronistic - this'll be a problem depending on the price.

And yeah blackmocco, I imagine it's a proto and I agree it's the visible articulation spoils it slightly. They've released a figure with a covered body already and it looks really well (Lasstranaut if you're interested - fairly iconic Ashley Wood totem).

Agh. Sorry. Yes, 1/12 was what I meant. Blame SDCC fatigue. However, I suspect he's possibly 1/16...? He's not big enough to be in scale with the likes of the 1/12 Death figure I'm looking at on my desk. Probably more realistic in terms of an actual real-life bull tyrannosaurus but in the comic he's pretty immense. You won't be dangling a 1/12 Judge Jack from his teeth and getting the same result as the comic, let's put it that way.

The joints are just gonna be what they are, I think. It's 3A, it's the look they go for and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The joints are the reason I didn't go for the Robo Hunter.

I'd love to see the skin a little more refined, if we're going to nitpick. They're on the right track with what they've got going, but be nice if they could go a step further and push the details a bit. It's a little loose right now.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

SIP

It looks like McMahon Satanus.  That's a win in my book. Think they've done well with the joints, and with those rubber type skins to hide the joints there are all kinds of long term issues.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: SIP on 26 July, 2016, 07:04:30 PM
Think they've done well with the joints, and with those rubber type skins to hide the joints there are all kinds of long term issues.

Not to mention adding a good £100 or more to the price...!
@jamesfeistdraws

blackmocco

Quote from: SIP on 26 July, 2016, 07:04:30 PM
It looks like McMahon Satanus.  That's a win in my book. Think they've done well with the joints, and with those rubber type skins to hide the joints there are all kinds of long term issues.

Don't think they need to add a rubber layer. Wouldn't want that either. Just think the sculpt and texture could be refined a little?

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

Ghost MacRoth

Dredd looks great, Satanus looks awful.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

SIP