Main Menu

2000 AD Where are you in Smiths?

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 06 December, 2012, 04:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: sheldipez on 18 December, 2012, 12:00:58 PM... none of the Tescos around here sell anything but children's comics (the ones with free toys stuck to them).

I think you'll find it's the free comics that are stuck to the toys.

COMMANDO FORCES

Todays effort and I had two assistants near me at all times ;)

Spikes

But youve left a copy of the Meg hidden at the back  :o 
Or was that delibrate?  A kind of rear guard action so Joe can keep his eye on the stomm?

Colin YNWA

Isn't it a sad lonely and rejected copy of last months issue?

JamesC

Just an observation but look how well the Clint, Dark Knight, Batman and Avengers logos stand out in that photo. The white logo on a dark background works brilliantly. Imagine if Clint said DREDD.

TordelBack

Quote from: JamesC on 19 December, 2012, 05:09:46 PM
Just an observation but look how well the Clint, Dark Knight, Batman and Avengers logos stand out in that photo. The white logo on a dark background works brilliantly. Imagine if Clint said DREDD.

I don't quite get what you mean... the 2000AD and Meg logos are white too, no?

sheldipez

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 19 December, 2012, 03:52:43 PM
Todays effort and I had two assistants near me at all times ;)

Haha that's made my day  :lol:

shaolin_monkey

I discovered my local corner shop stocks 2000AD!  I was amazed - I haven't seen that in more than 20 years.  Pity I get all mine on the iPad now.

I, Cosh

Bah, no wonder I can never find my copy of Carp Fanciers Weekly for a bunch of stupid kids comics about spacemen.
We never really die.

Tombo

CF's photo shows that Smiths doesn't really follow any sort of plans.  At the Boro branch the Marvel comics are along the top of the end bay, Tooth and the Meg are in the middle (along with the Doctor Who mag and Neo magazine) and the bottom bay has things like Vanity Fair and other movie magazines.  The tattoo mags are round the corner near to National Geographic and Smallholders Monthly.

In fact why would you put the tattoo mags, which usually show acres of bare flesh and only just concealed nipples* near to comics?

*Not that I'm adverse to looking at such things myself but wont someone think of the children!

Dash Decent

I love that the newsagent has thought, "What can we put near the kids comics?  Knitting magazines?  No.  Crossword and puzzle books?  No.  Aha!  Tattoo magazines!!"

'Cos obviously when children are looking at the rack, you don't want them to be standing next to some old grandmotherly type, no, best if they're in the same section that attracts the guy who wants a picture of his boss being cut up by a chainsaw permanently imprinted across his torso(*).

(*) Of course, you may have a totally different tatt to mine.

Edit: Just seen Tombo's reply.  Great minds, and all that.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

SmallBlueThing

That's a good effort Mr B. I'd love to do similar, but my local WHS sold out of Prog 2013 by last Saturday when I bought the last one as a xmas present for a mate. Bizarrely there were TEN COPIES of the Meg in this morning- none of which I could buy because I have a regular order at my local newsie (who completely failed to get it for me today, the bastards). My WHS never has more than THREE Megs, hidden away at the back, but today there were ten and all at the front. Had you been to Hastings this morning?

Two things: Children love breasts- they get more boob than most of us.

AND- Who is buying "Movie Superheroes" and "Greatest Sci-Fi Films"? (Aside from the answer being "no one" as they've sat on the shelves since about August)

SBT

James Stacey

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 19 December, 2012, 08:37:31 PM
I discovered my local corner shop stocks 2000AD!  I was amazed - I haven't seen that in more than 20 years.  Pity I get all mine on the iPad now.
The one on the corner of my block does too. Must be an upswing of interest in Splott.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: James Stacey on 20 December, 2012, 11:15:11 AM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 19 December, 2012, 08:37:31 PM
The one on the corner of my block does too. Must be an upswing of interest in Splott.

Considering we're only a street apart, we may be talking about the same newsagent!

James Stacey