Main Menu

New Year's Resolutions

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 02 January, 2016, 04:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Anyone got any? 

Here are a few of mine:

1. To get some land to live on in my mobile home.

2. To pay off the last of my debts. Nearly there. 

3. To write my second ever short story and send it to a few publishers.  (The first one wasn't published; it was a bit shit.)

4.  To set up and teach an art course.

5.  To go to the gym and my martial arts course regularly (at least once a week for each).

6.  To meditate for at least 10 minutes every day; filthy hippy that I am.

That's all I can think of for the moment.  Yourselves?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Mardroid

1. To be more creative. Finish off some projects I started and work on another idea that I have. ( I won't necessarily finish that all next year, but point is, I want to make some leeway on something and stop procrastinating.

2. Make more effort concerning things I'd like to change in my life.

3. Control my emotions a bit more. I'm not one to fly of the handle at people but I sometimes spend too much time dwelling on things that bother me and it can lead  my mind to a dark angry place. Sometime you've just gotta let things go. I'm usually blowing things out of proportion anyway.

4. Stop worrying so much!

ThryllSeekyr

Hawkmumbler

I'm not aiming too high, but I do want to make some lifestyle changes.

1. Quite my current job upon finding something better, really I should have done this months ago but good christ my current employment is becoming unbearable.

2. UPLOAD MY ART ONTO THE INTERNET! The main reason I never do this is a side effect of crippling anxiety...that and a scanner. But I can fix the latter! No, I just need to get into the habit of finishing even a basic sketch, whipping out my phone and uploading it to the doodle thread. I really need to get into the habit of receiving feedback.

3. Learn to drive. I'm fucking terrified of this, my cognative functions are on average far slower than most (this is probably a symptom of my autism) and the idea of driving on a motorway or in areas of dense traffic has me shitting bricks but now i've started my divemaster and instructer course AND i'm on a week long trip to Scapa Flow in August I can not afford to pur this off any longer.

I, Cosh

Never usually entertain these but...

- Talk more German better.

- Read fewer comics. Haven't finished an actual book for two or three months.

- Get off my arse and go snowboarding at least every second weekend between now and April.

- Be less tolerant of other people's stupid opinions.
We never really die.

TordelBack

1. Plan some regular properly dedicated time with each member of the family, instead of continually intending to and never 'finding' the time. Time management is my weakest trait, and I need to get the priorities sorted.

2. Lose some damn blubber and get the kids more active as part of the process.

3. Get back to cooking proper food as a matter of course - I've been so busy this past year that I've been taking short cuts and leaning on the missus.

4. See if I can employ a second person for a decent chunk of time, rather than the few days I've managed so far. I lost so much good business last year by trying to cover everything myself - and I'm just too old to work 20 hours a day, 7 days a week, as I discovered to my cost.

5. Get back to programming. I have stuff I really want to do for work, and just can't anymore. That's not good enough.

6. Get to a conversational level in Irish. My son is now better than me, and he's 9. I speak better Greek than I do Irish, and I learnt that from a tape -  I did Irish 5 times a week for 14 years.

sheridan

1. Get (back) into the Prog Slog habit, including updating the 2000adopedia as I go.
2. Once my leg is more sorted out (just out of hospital again a few days ago) get down to a healthy weight.
3. Be more creative, maybe contribute to one of the threads on this forum.
4. Organise finances so I a) don't pay interest on student debt, etc and b) get a better rate of interest on savings
5. Keep the flat organised and tidy.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Tordelback on 02 January, 2016, 08:21:41 PM
1. Plan some regular properly dedicated time with each member of the family, instead of continually intending to and never 'finding' the time. Time management is my weakest trait, and I need to get the priorities sorted.

That's one I forgot. I really, really need more free time and a decent social life (I had both in spades before i became a stressed, tired, frequently ill and lonely DYNAMIC, GO-GETTING ENTREPENEUR.)

...he typed, after a long and tiresome shift of Saturday work.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

ThryllSeekyr

Tordalback if you have rudimantery understanding of Irish......do you know if (Remembering Hellboy Two!) Nuada's conversation with Balor (His father!) is in Irish

I certainly wouldn't know, because there was no accent as far as I could hear.

In case anybody is wondering, my favourite part of this film is the Elder-Thing moving into the background at the faerie markets. 

As for my N.Y. Resolution, I think I should finish cleaning my room and finally move out!

JayzusB.Christ

If you could paste the bit from the movie script I might be able to translate it.  (No guarantees though,  i'm very rusty and was never fluent.)

JayzusB.Christ

P.s. send it as a pm though if you find it, it's a bit off topic for this thread.

Grugz

the usual eat healthier...

grow my hair and fight the compulsions to cut it myself (a stress thing) and let it grow a lot

also finally get my eyes tested and accept I need reading glasses.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Modern Panther

1: learn to play the guitar.  It's been sitting there since last Xmas, with nought but a couple of chords learned.

2: exercise more.  Regular runs and gym were once a thing, until cake and ...more cake took over.

3: finish and submit more scripts. Focus, dammit!

Mardroid

Quote from: Hawkmonger

3. Learn to drive. I'm fucking terrified of this, my cognative functions are on average far slower than most (this is probably a symptom of my autism) and the idea of driving on a motorway or in areas of dense traffic has me shitting bricks

Reaction time  can be  crucial when driving Hawk so be careful!

Or maybe that's not what you meant by slower cognition.

Make sure you mention it to the instructor anyway. I'm sure they'll advise you.

I never learnt to drive due to the fact that my attention span can sometimes be poor and my mind has a tendency to wander. I had a couple of new misses on a bike as a result, so I don't cycle anymore. I figured if I was in a car and something similar happened, I might end up killing someone!

Not to disuade you. Emergency stops are a major part of tests I think, and if you keep aware of shortcomings I'm sure you can compensate.

This is an example of that over worrying I spoke of earlier that I should probably give up.

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 02 January, 2016, 09:09:00 PM
P.s. send it as a pm though if you find it, it's a bit off topic for this thread.
Off topic for this thread, but perfect for this one.