Main Menu

New Year's Resolutions

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 02 January, 2016, 04:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

The mods are deliberating over the matter, fingers poised on the ban buttons. Dr. X's membership rests on hiw own head.

Jim_Campbell

Wasn't going to do resolutions (haven't done for years) but found myself with some realistic goals going into the New Year...

1) Reach target weight on Slimming World (only a matter of time, but if I'm a bit more diligent, I'll get there sooner rather than later).

2) Observe an extra 'dry' night each week (with attendant positive implications for 1, and my blood pressure).

3) Hand letter something for actual publication. I've been practising, and I've got all the kit.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Theblazeuk

Keep up with physio for my shoulder, even when it seems to make things worse rather than better. Once the shoulder is a bit better, get back to push-ups and so on.

Get to running around Richmond Park without stopping by June.

Learn how to play my harmonica (last year's christmas present) by next Christmas, at least one tune.

Get a game of D&D going on the regular (looks like my last game is going to fizzle out :( :( DM isn't really responding to anyone's messages. Oh well.)

Fix my bike up so it works - end of February.

Oh & read more books and stop getting lost in the timesinks of the web on my various devices just because they are backlit and can be read whilst the missus slumbers.

sheridan

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 08 January, 2016, 10:35:10 AMGet to running around Richmond Park without stopping by June.
That'd be impressive!

QuoteGet a game of D&D going on the regular (looks like my last game is going to fizzle out :( :( DM isn't really responding to anyone's messages. Oh well.)
I'd offer up a space, but we're full up (and in North London, I'm guessing you're in or near Richmond)?

Theblazeuk

Quote from: sheridan on 08 January, 2016, 01:12:15 PM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 08 January, 2016, 10:35:10 AMGet to running around Richmond Park without stopping by June.
That'd be impressive!

I dunno if I set off now I could probably get around by February at the least.... ;)

Going to PM you about D&D shortly :)

I, Cosh

So, how are we all getting on with these then?

Quote from: The Cosh on 02 January, 2016, 07:44:04 PM
- Talk more German better.
Hmm. Greater perseverance during interactions with retail and service personnel, including discussing my ailments in the chemist and left luggage on the train.
Failed to go and see a foreign film with German subtitles (but only because it was sold out.)
Went to a football pub quiz in German. Came last.

Verdict: More? Probably. Better? Probably not.

- Read fewer comics. Haven't finished an actual book for two or three months.
A lot of series I was reading came to an end over the last month so I've been giving them a reread and I've bought about 8,000 pages of crap in varous humble bundles.
Made it halfway through The Narrow Road to the Deep North.

Verdict: Not going well.

- Get off my arse and go snowboarding at least every second weekend between now and April.
Including this weekend coming, it'll be 2/5.

Verdict: borderline. Need to get out of bed on a few Sunday mornings.

- Be less tolerant of other people's stupid opinions.
Piss up a rope, fuckstick!
We never really die.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 02 January, 2016, 04:10:14 PM
Anyone got any? 

Here are a few of mine:

1. To get some land to live on in my mobile home.

2. To pay off the last of my debts. Nearly there. 

3. To write my second ever short story and send it to a few publishers.  (The first one wasn't published; it was a bit shit.)

4.  To set up and teach an art course.

5.  To go to the gym and my martial arts course regularly (at least once a week for each).

6.  To meditate for at least 10 minutes every day; filthy hippy that I am.

(EDIT) - 7.  To have more free time.

That's all I can think of for the moment.  Yourselves?
`

1.  Made some enquiries; getting there.

2.  Still nearly there.  About a month away I think.

3.  Nope. 

4.  Nope.

5.  Nope.

6.  Did it for three weeks; stopped for a few days; will get back into it tomorrow.

7.  Getting there; I have at least one day off a week now and most evenings.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Mardroid

Quote from: Mardroid on 02 January, 2016, 04:46:32 PM
1. To be more creative. Finish off some projects I started and work on another idea that I have. ( I won't necessarily finish that all next year, but point is, I want to make some leeway on something and stop procrastinating.

I haven't done much yet, but I did write the first way-too-long draft of a story for the short story competition. I need pare it down to third its current length to make it fit the 500 words specified.

There's a whole chunk of stuff at the start which can be chopped off easily but the rest might be difficult... but fun.....

I will probably have a lengthier version I'll put in a blogg later after the competition. I need to get back I to Editting sharpish before my story idea is used up.

Quote2. Make more effort concerning things I'd like to change in my life.

I guess resolution 1 is a small step in that direction. I am also strongly considering moving in with a housemate in a few months time... but other than that I haven't done much.

Quote3. Control my emotions a bit more.
Better, lately in some ways but very much a work in progress.

Quote4. Stop worrying so much!

I recently got worse then better...

So not much changed really. But kinda proud I made headway on that story, even if its a new story rather than completing ones.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 02 January, 2016, 06:45:56 PM
I'm not aiming too high, but I do want to make some lifestyle changes.

1. Quite my current job upon finding something better, really I should have done this months ago but good christ my current employment is becoming unbearable.
Done and done! Tendered my resignation this morning, a new job is the the horrizon (as a bar attendant) and i'm feeling much better about my future right now, at least in employment.

Quote2. UPLOAD MY ART ONTO THE INTERNET! The main reason I never do this is a side effect of crippling anxiety...that and a scanner. But I can fix the latter! No, I just need to get into the habit of finishing even a basic sketch, whipping out my phone and uploading it to the doodle thread. I really need to get into the habit of receiving feedback.
Over the last month I uploaded....5 WIPs of which I finished none and 2 sketches. It's an improvement, but not by much. Must step my game up this month, at least get that self portrait finished.

Quote3. Learn to drive. I'm fucking terrified of this, my cognative functions are on average far slower than most (this is probably a symptom of my autism) and the idea of driving on a motorway or in areas of dense traffic has me shitting bricks but now i've started my divemaster and instructer course AND i'm on a week long trip to Scapa Flow in August I can not afford to pur this off any longer.
No headway has been made on this what so ever, but in my diffence I have spent every none waking hour working on my dive skills ready for Hungary at the end of the month. I'll see if I can set aside sometime next week for some lessons.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 02 February, 2016, 03:29:00 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 02 January, 2016, 06:45:56 PM
I'm not aiming too high, but I do want to make some lifestyle changes.

1. Quite my current job upon finding something better, really I should have done this months ago but good christ my current employment is becoming unbearable.
Done and done! Tendered my resignation this morning, a new job is the the horrizon (as a bar attendant) and i'm feeling much better about my future right now, at least in employment.

Quote2. UPLOAD MY ART ONTO THE INTERNET! The main reason I never do this is a side effect of crippling anxiety...that and a scanner. But I can fix the latter! No, I just need to get into the habit of finishing even a basic sketch, whipping out my phone and uploading it to the doodle thread. I really need to get into the habit of receiving feedback.
Over the last month I uploaded....5 WIPs of which I finished none and 2 sketches. It's an improvement, but not by much. Must step my game up this month, at least get that self portrait finished.

Quote3. Learn to drive. I'm fucking terrified of this, my cognative functions are on average far slower than most (this is probably a symptom of my autism) and the idea of driving on a motorway or in areas of dense traffic has me shitting bricks but now i've started my divemaster and instructer course AND i'm on a week long trip to Scapa Flow in August I can not afford to pur this off any longer.
No headway has been made on this what so ever, but in my diffence I have spent every none waking hour working on my dive skills ready for Hungary at the end of the month. I'll see if I can set aside sometime next week for some lessons.

Good man, HM; the job is the big one and that's sorted anyway.

JayzusB.Christ

You're not walking away from this thread, you know.  Progress for me so far...

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 02 January, 2016, 04:10:14 PM

1. To get some land to live on in my mobile home.

2. To pay off the last of my debts. Nearly there. 

3. To write my second ever short story and send it to a few publishers.  (The first one wasn't published; it was a bit shit.)

4.  To set up and teach an art course.

5.  To go to the gym and my martial arts course regularly (at least once a week for each).

6.  To meditate for at least 10 minutes every day; filthy hippy that I am.

That's all I can think of for the moment.  Yourselves?

1. Hmmmmmm, well, let's not go too deeply into that one... haven't given up the search yet though; not by a long way.

2.  Yes, unbelievably.  First time in over 20 years I've been out of debt.

3.  Not yet.

4.  Next month, I think.  I've already booked a room; just need to sort out my advertising.

5.  Martial arts yes; gym no.  (On the downside I cracked a rib on my first time back training a couple of weeks ago; I'm still going though.  Just training very gently at the moment.)

6.  Most mornings anyway. 

Another one I added was to have much more time to myself; and due to my having my own transport these days, there's been a vast improvement there.  In fact I've worked out a way of making time go more slowly - basically do lots of different and new things all the time; even if it's just having a coffee in a village I don't normally go to; or going for walks in an area I've never visited before.

I've been listening to a seminar by Marc Allen lately who recommends spoken affirmations; so I'm giving it a shot.  He's a bit of a spaced-out old hippy (albeit a very rich and successful one) who attributes his success to magic and God; for me though the affirmations are just a way of constantly reminding myself of my priorities (and I generally say them a few times a day while I'm driving).  Are they working?  Well, it's only been a few weeks, so I don't really know, but I'm noticing some small improvements in my life.  The practice has also inspired me to add a whole new set of goals to the existing ones (for better or worse).

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 08 January, 2016, 10:35:10 AM
1. Keep up with physio for my shoulder, even when it seems to make things worse rather than better. Once the shoulder is a bit better, get back to push-ups and so on.

2. Get to running around Richmond Park without stopping by June.

3. Learn how to play my harmonica (last year's christmas present) by next Christmas, at least one tune.

4. Get a game of D&D going on the regular (looks like my last game is going to fizzle out :( :( DM isn't really responding to anyone's messages. Oh well.)

5. Fix my bike up so it works - end of February.

6. Oh & read more books and stop getting lost in the timesinks of the web on my various devices just because they are backlit and can be read whilst the missus slumbers.

1. Kind of - had cosmetic surgery (cyst) on my neck a few weeks ago, haven't done the exercises since for fear of pulling something loose as it was on the very top of my spine. Started again last night.

2. Not sure if I've got there yet - have to push myself next weekend and see.

3. Drokk. Going to have to get moving on that.

4. My D&D game fizzled out :( I played a few drop-ins at the local game store in between and thoroughly enjoyed but a holiday and random acts of inconvenience have kept me away for about 2 months now. 8 sessions later I doubt I can drop back in again. I will return though.

5. Done! Did it early Feb. Now the bloody cones are loose on the back wheel though and the gears are slipping again. Fixing it this weekend.

6. Read plenty this year so far, including all of Joe Lansdale's books I coudl get hold of.

Doing ok actually!