Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

The Invaders From Mars remake is so terrible it is actually mesmerizing.  I think most people's brains will likely explode when they twig that the 8 year old boy and the 30-40-something teacher are written as unlikely romantic foils for each other to the point that at one stage the aliens are coming and the woman huddles into the kid like he's going to protect her - I thought she was maybe trying to get a better grip on him so she could throw him at the aliens and buy herself some time, but nope...

SmallBlueThing

Interesting you should use the word 'mesmerising', as that was the single word i was battling against using when talking about tcm2. There though, it's hypnotic in a positive sense- i find, when watching chainsaw 2, i often question if im awake or dreaming, so close to being an actual representation of night terrors do i find it. I remember next to nothing about invaders, other than it being terrible, and it having a similar hypnotic feel. Lots of pulsing reds and oranges, with creatures so bizarre they score a pass on the designer's chutzpah alone.

Oddly, 'hypnotic' and 'mesmerising' are words ie seen used to describe lifeforce too- and not just in the sense of there being tits in it. I remember thinking it a 'big screen dr who crossed with john constantine' during one viewing.

Must see it again!

SBT

Professor Bear

When I first saw the Martians I thought "fuck me!  REALLY?"

Frank

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 26 November, 2012, 10:20:54 AM
Drive had perhaps been overhyped a bit for me, and a couple of the more shocking parts had been spoilerbombed, but it was still a really intense watch. I've seen Gosling in a few things now and he really is incredible. The score was perfect too, licensed songs aside it was really disciplined, bubbling away and keeping tension going when more traditional composers would have been trying to ramp things up constantly.

I just saw Drive myself, and I'd agree that it's nothing short of astonishing in places. Like its main character, the film's a great example of what you can do when you keep everything very simple and don't place any restrictions on how far you're prepared to go.

Steve Green

Avengers Assemble belatedly.

Enjoyed it, but didn't really see why a lot of people were raving about it - still, more fun than TDKR.

I did love Hulk's puny god/Tom and Jerry moment.

Oh and 21 Jump Street, which sags in the middle a bit, but I thought pretty entertaining.

radiator

I think The Avengers really deserves to be seen in the cinema - it's such a crowd pleaser and I think the atmosphere of seeing it in a packed-out cinema really lifted the film to another level. People were going fucking nuts for it - and it was a great communal experience.

Tiplodocus

IRON SKY
How do you make a movie about space Nazis boring?
I have night idea but they managed it.

EIGHT LEGGED FREAKS
Much more like it in the fun and hokum department but again, still somehow managed to miss the mark.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Dandontdare

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 30 November, 2012, 11:05:31 PM
IRON SKY
How do you make a movie about space Nazis boring?
I have night idea but they managed it.

I said the same thing about the last Superman movie

shaolin_monkey

I watched Swingers last night. That was a lot of fun, very witty, and spoke to me on a number of levels. also, it's probably Vince Vaughns best role.

radiator

Swingers is one of my favourite movies. It's easy to forget how cool Vaughn once was.

I find it a bit weird how the 'money' catchphrase has been co-opted by Money Supermarket - Swingers is a pretty obscure movie.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: radiator on 01 December, 2012, 09:56:42 AM
Swingers is one of my favourite movies. It's easy to forget how cool Vaughn once was.

And how thin. He's eaten more turkeys than he has appeared in.

Who hasn't done the answer message thing?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Richmond Clements

Quote from: radiator on 01 December, 2012, 09:56:42 AM

I find it a bit weird how the 'money' catchphrase has been co-opted by Money Supermarket - Swingers is a pretty obscure movie.

Yup. Absolutely love how they discuss how the single take entrance to the club in Goodfellas could never be recreated in a low budget movie, while they... wonderful!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Unicorn Bukakke on 26 November, 2012, 03:55:38 PM
The Invaders From Mars remake is so terrible it is actually mesmerizing.  I think most people's brains will likely explode when they twig that the 8 year old boy and the 30-40-something teacher are written as unlikely romantic foils for each other to the point that at one stage the aliens are coming and the woman huddles into the kid like he's going to protect her - I thought she was maybe trying to get a better grip on him so she could throw him at the aliens and buy herself some time, but nope...

Funnily enough I watched that for the first time t'other week. It's certainly... different, isn't it? There's a lot that I like, but it's fair to say it stomps all over the sense of creeping unease of the first one in favour of doing things 'big' - which means bright an' loud an' gory.

@jamesfeistdraws

Dark Jimbo

It does a lot right. For instance, I like the loving recreation of that iconic shot of the winding path up to the sand dunes, the bit that most captured my young mind about the original.

There are other great bits, like the kid walking in on the science teacher wolfing down one of the biology frogs whole. Damn creepy. But for every success they shoot themselves in the foot, like the jettisoning of the creepy sucked-into-the-sand bit, another of the original's creepiest bits. Instead it turns out that people have instead been walking up the path to the top of the hill... then walking down the other side. Then they see a cave with a glowing red light coming out of it. Then they enter the cave and walk down the tunnel and... yeah, not nearly as iconic. And because it relies on people's curiosity leading them to do all the work it loses that sense of people being stolen bodily.

And then there's the awful it-was-all-a-dream ending. But I hated the same thing about the first film, too. Overall an interesting watch, but I don't know if I'd recommend it, necessarily.
@jamesfeistdraws

Kerrin

"End of Watch", very much worth a watch. The two leads, Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Peña, are a brilliant double act. Funny as hell but seriously harsh in places too.