Main Menu

Where are we at with getting a Dredd 2?

Started by thelawgiver, 13 January, 2015, 11:07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thelawgiver

I haven't been on the forum in ages.
Just wondering where we were at with getting a Dredd sequel?
Twitter = @snarlsbukowski

Jim_Campbell

Already a thread for this prominently located in the same 'Film Discussion' sub-forum you just posted to.

TL; DR version: not gonna happen. Let it go.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Steve Green

Alex Garland has done a couple of interviews where he says it is very unlikely (at least in the DNA incarnation)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhqNMUWLxkc&feature=share

If one does happen, it's unlikely it will be his version and not in the immediate future.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Steve Green on 13 January, 2015, 11:14:45 AM
If one does happen, it's unlikely it will be his version and not in the immediate future.

If a future Dredd production isn't a development of the Garland/Urban version, then it's going to be a stretch to call it a sequel, IMO, given the vigour with which we've all protested that Garland/Urban wasn't a sequel to Cannon/Stallone...

Cheers

Jim

Zenith 666

Zen and I are doing the euro millions Friday so fingers crossed it'll be green lighted Monday.

TordelBack

Steve Green

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 January, 2015, 11:31:09 AM
Quote from: Steve Green on 13 January, 2015, 11:14:45 AM

If a future Dredd production isn't a development of the Garland/Urban version, then it's going to be a stretch to call it a sequel, IMO, given the vigour with which we've all protested that Garland/Urban wasn't a sequel to Cannon/Stallone...

Cheers

Jim

Well, reboot/whatever - it depends what the OP defines as a sequel, I think if it was the same lead, people would be more inclined to count it as a sequel, but they wouldn't necessarily be looking for the same writer or director.

There are a lot of hypotheticals, I *still* here sequel mumblings even with what Alex has said, but it's all straw-clutching and speculation IMHO.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Steve Green on 13 January, 2015, 12:33:21 PM
There are a lot of hypotheticals, I *still* here sequel mumblings even with what Alex has said, but it's all straw-clutching and speculation IMHO.

Aren't the rights a complete fucking mess, on top of the dismal box office?

Cheers

Jim

Molch-R

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 January, 2015, 12:43:29 PM
Aren't the rights a complete fucking mess, on top of the dismal box office?

Nope. The complete audio and visual rights reside with Rebellion and are currently optioned to DNA Films. All other trademark and copyright rights for Judge Dredd reside with Rebellion.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Molch-R on 13 January, 2015, 12:46:20 PM
Nope. The complete audio and visual rights reside with Rebellion and are currently optioned to DNA Films.

Cool. My apologies for the lack of clarity — I was specifically talking about the movie distribution rights, which were supposedly spread across multiple companies (understandably) but that these then fed back into potential problems for DNA in getting another movie off the ground since each distributor had effectively taken a financial stake in the first movie. I may have mis-remembered this entirely and couldn't google up anything relevant, hence the question...

Cheers

Jim

Molch-R

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 January, 2015, 01:08:27 PM
Cool. My apologies for the lack of clarity — I was specifically talking about the movie distribution rights, which were supposedly spread across multiple companies (understandably) but that these then fed back into potential problems for DNA in getting another movie off the ground since each distributor had effectively taken a financial stake in the first movie. I may have mis-remembered this entirely and couldn't google up anything relevant, hence the question...

Ah, I see - that's not an issue of rights, but of original financing. And the only impact would be that those distributors would be once bitten, twice shy.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Molch-R on 13 January, 2015, 01:31:17 PM
Ah, I see - that's not an issue of rights, but of original financing. And the only impact would be that those distributors would be once bitten, twice shy.

Gotcha. Ta!

Cheers

Jim

Spikes

Quote from: thelawgiver on 13 January, 2015, 11:07:54 AM
I haven't been on the forum in ages.
Just wondering where we were at with getting a Dredd sequel?

Apparently we'll be getting, finally, a steelbook release for the first film.
Any other good news is pretty thin on the ground...

DKCX

Throw on some new features and remaster the UK print and I might double dip! Pretty awful transfer on the UK disk!
I take it that this release is the same UK disk in a fancy box.  >:(

Steve Green

No idea - I don't know whether steelbook releases just use the same disc as the normal one or if they ever create a new disc.