Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 22 June, 2016, 02:04:07 PM
Earth orbit defense? It isn't. The fleet originally messes in the Tyfon (sp. ?) Sector but you hear it taking a good kicking. I assume by the time Enterprise gets to Earth this is very much a last stand.

Defiant: that's the only one you explicitly see them saving. It's not to say they didn't save more. But a sequence of transporter orders would make a full movie.

Worf: dunno what you mean about only DS9 crew member. Again he's the only one you explicitly see the others stay in sick bay but Word comes to the bridge presumably because that's where his Enterprise bros and hos  are.

Tactical: I assume one space shop tactical LCARS interface is much like another. Plus he's a bad ass  good guy.

Security - yway off choice that. He wouldn't  know the new shop layout.

Time travel: Maybe this was the first time they tried it but, because it failed and cost them a Queen, they never tried it again.

Ihave few issues with the set up.

I know it can be fun to but no one should have to infer so much to explain away so many apparent* plot holes. Some throwaway dialogue here. A brief visual there. It should be implicit through shrewd writing, not left to fan hand-waiving.

But, hey! Alice Krige.

* It's been years since I last saw FIRST CONTACT so I'm going by the grumblings of others. My only real memories of it are Picard kicking arse, some truly, TRULY unfunny humour, and that bloke from something else being in it.

Oh. And Alice Krige.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

TordelBack

Yeah, you're right about the Typhon system Tips, I'd forgotten about that. But by that token, surely Defiant (a starship specifically created to fight the Borg) should have been in that fight, rather than the one at Earth. And my question about DS9 crew relates to the Defiant bridge crew -  other than Woof, none of her regulars crew are there, for a last ditch defense of Earth? Best foot forward and all that.

My problem with FC is not that it is full of cool stuff (it is), it's that the cool stuff seems to be there just to be cool. Thus the Defiant, Worf, the daft holodeck sequence, the corridor scene, the Moby Dick bit (has Picard ever shown any tendency to want to hound the Borg to mutual extinction? What about Hugh? What about Lore's pals? He already knows Borg are people too), Data's ability to switch his emotions on and off at will (the entire direction of the character for 7 years reduced to running in Safe Mode), the aforementioned newly found bromance between Picard and Data (which if it is a function of their post-All Good Things poker nights seems very unprofessional - maybe Ensign Lynch should have invited Picard to his D&D campaign?), The Borg Krieg herself (note no-one ever refers to her as a Queen in the movie) ..  all these things are good. It's just that they don't make much sense other than being cool.

Oddly I like the bits with Lily best - as the everyman, she doesn't have any inconvenient baggage, and so works fine - particularly when pointing out the silliness around her. "It's my first ray gun" is a classic.

futureimperfect

Grabbers

I must admit that I wasn't really paying attention for the first 15 minutes because I was too busy trying to work out what I had seen the lead bloke in before. Turns out he was a much more Irish (therefore much more drunken) Moist Von Lipwig! I had to cheat and use Google, but I was well pleased when I could put a face to a name.

As far as the film itself goes I was expecting a horror comedy akin to Shaun Of The Dead. While it felt to me more horror with funny bits thrown in that a straight up comedy, it had some great gags. The monster effects were good too. Not a bad little film for a Sunday night in.

sheridan

Quote from: futureimperfect on 27 June, 2016, 11:29:55 AM
Grabbers

I must admit that I wasn't really paying attention for the first 15 minutes because I was too busy trying to work out what I had seen the lead bloke in before. Turns out he was a much more Irish (therefore much more drunken) Moist Von Lipwig! I had to cheat and use Google, but I was well pleased when I could put a face to a name.

As far as the film itself goes I was expecting a horror comedy akin to Shaun Of The Dead. While it felt to me more horror with funny bits thrown in that a straight up comedy, it had some great gags. The monster effects were good too. Not a bad little film for a Sunday night in.
Richard Coyle also played Jeff in Coupling.

JamesC

The Wolf Of Wall Street

I've never been a big fan of Scorsese films and this did nothing to buck the trend.
It's a well made film but 3 hours of watching someone be an arsehole is too much for me.

futureimperfect

Me Before You

I'll be honest, I was expecting to hate this when I went in. I watched the trailer and it looked like a romantic version of The Intouchables (a film that I enjoy). I went in with an open mind and was pleasantly surprised.

There are quite a few similarities to the Intouchables. The lead girl plays the role extremely well. The plot was predictable but I was still satisfied with the ending. If you want to earn some boyfriend/husband points you could do worse than to take the other half to see this.

Goaty

Ahh as many of you talks about Star Trek timeline;

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/43804/abrams-star-trek-timeline-gets-a-name

Abrams' "Star Trek" Timeline Gets A Name

With "Star Trek Beyond" hitting cinemas next month and the CBS series now in the works, the producers behind the "Star Trek" franchise are now getting around to solving one pesky problem that needed to be sorted out sooner or later - continuity.

Specifically it was established in J.J. Abrams' 2009 "Star Trek" that the film and its subsequent sequels are part of an alternate universe that splits off from the rest of the "Star Trek" timeline - so everything that happens within them doesn't upset the continuity of the original 1960s TV series and the various spin-offs like "Star Trek: The Next Generation" and "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine".

Until now there's been no official designation for this splinter timeline, though the Abrams-verse is a name often bandied about. Well that has changed with an official name now being established for it - The Kelvin Timeline.

The name ties back to the Federation starship USS Kelvin, the one in the opening moments of the 2009 film with is destruction at the hands of the Romulan ship Narada from the far future creating the new timeline.

CBS Consumer Products' Holly Amos tweeted about the new name, explaining that they needed an official designation to distinguish it from the other 'Trek' timeline: "We needed an in-universe term since we needed some way to refer to it in the encyclopedia." Amos also revealed that the name comes from Michael and Denise Okuda, the authors behind numerous "Star Trek" reference guides.

The name will come in handy shortly as the new CBS All Access series from producer Bryan Fuller is reportedly set in the original timeline, though when specifically remains a big question. That series will arrive on the streaming service in early 2017.

Tiplodocus

That gets rid of all of my worries about the upcoming films and show.

The biggest problem I had was wondering what the continuity should be called.

No, wait, the other!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

<B>EVERLY</B>

Taking place in pretty much a single room, corridor and bathroom, I thought this was quite good fun.
I'll admit, I was drawn in by it starring the next Mrs Satanist and didn't know what to expect but it flings you right into the middle of the situation and lets you figure out what is going on.  Some inventive kills and violence.

Worth 90 minutes of your time if you have Netflix (or was it Amazon) and are stuck home alone.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Spikes

The latest Independence Day flick...
It is truly awful.

Professor Bear

Yeah, I expected better from Roland Emmeri- no wait, the other thing.

Independence Day Resurgence is dumb as fuck, and I think Brent Spiner is doing it to troll me now.  I think its main problem is that there's just too much going on in the big setpieces so you never know what to focus upon and everything feels like whitenoise, but the big finale where it's some planes versus The Cloverfield Monster is much easier to follow by dint of only having a couple of moving parts, and as such comes off as more enjoyable than the messy dogfights or wholesale destruction sequences.  Like the original, it's playful where other films would be malicious, and the story structure is admirably uncomplicated even if it often pulls shit out of nowhere to get going, like President Pullman having PTSD from being brain molested in the first movie despite no indication being given of this in the first movie - although it does retroactively explain the same condition in Randy Quaid's character in the first movie, so swings and roundabouts.
It also makes no bones about there being a sequel if this one does well, but it does so in such a bone-headed and unpretentious way that I can't be mad at it.

I don't know if I liked it, but I did enjoy it.  I enjoyed its full-on Star Wars trappings - the sci-fi sprawl is an interesting companion to the fleeting glimpses of disaster movie window dressing - and the subdued delivery of President Pullman's speeches and heroics in contrast to the bombast of the previous film.  The comedy relief character being gay should get alarm bells ringing with most people, but here his sexuality is pretty much irrelevant and he's an annoying comedy character who just happens to gay as well, which is still a bit of a rarity, especially in films that deliberately aim to be lowbrow.
I knew what I was getting into here, and in the end it was okay.

Big_Dave

Quote from: Professor Bear on 03 July, 2016, 01:48:34 AMm.  The comedy relief character being gay should get alarm bells ringing with most people, but here his sexuality is pretty much irrelevant and he's an annoying comedy character who just happens to gay as well, which is still a bit of a rarity, especially in films that deliberately aim to be lowbrow.
I kne
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/roland-emmerich-independence-day-2s-781706

NapalmKev

The Green Room featuring Captain Picard and Ensign Chekov!

A punk band plays a gig at a neo-nazi club, with hilarious consequences. It's actually not too bad. The pace is quite lively and there is a sprinkling of decent Punk/Metal tunes.

Worth a watch!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

JamesC

Bone Tommahawk

I really enjoyed this. It doesn't have a particularly great plot but it's really compelling because it has a great atmosphere and the performances are really good. Ive heard some criticisms that it's too slow but I could've sat and watched it all day.

futureimperfect

Frank

Brilliant. 'nuff said.