Main Menu

Prog 1807 - We love Gavin Leahy!

Started by Pete Wells, 27 October, 2012, 09:29:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oshii

Another thing, if it was deliberate planning to have a story concerning a list of undercover agents stolen in the same week as Skyfall is released with a similar conceit, than that's rather bloody cunning as well

And if it isn't deliberate, then they should certainly claim that it was.

Trout

Or they could just not spoil Skyfall.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Trout on 31 October, 2012, 10:53:00 AM

That bit's kind of in the trailer...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Trout

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 31 October, 2012, 10:58:52 AM

Cheers

Jim

Ah, OK. I've been avoiding anything to do with it.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Trout on 31 October, 2012, 11:13:13 AM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 31 October, 2012, 10:58:52 AM

Cheers

Jim

Ah, OK. I've been avoiding anything to do with it.

[spoiler]James Bond and M are in it[/spoiler]
DDT did a job on me

a chosen rider

Cover - Now that's a great, striking cover.  (Although I did briefly see it as a head with MODOK arms and now it's really hard to un-see that.  Sorry)

Dredd - Roffman!  So glad to see he made it.  And, "The man's got a mind like a clenched fist," is a brilliant line.  I always forget to praise the art when it's Henry Flint, because, y'know, it's Henry Flint, doing this thing.  But yes.  Awesome.  And Al Ewing pulls the Wagner-esque trick of making me think I must have reached the last page when there are still two more to go.  High praise indeed, sir.

Simping Detective - Great, incredibly clever opening.  [spoiler]Despite the drastic change in art styles, the shift is so seamless that I was actually disconcerted when the story started following Point instead of Dredd.[/spoiler]  The "ohhhstommit'sDredd" made me snicker.  I also kind of like the symbolism of Point teaming up with his perp against Dredd.  It draws a nice clear line between Point as a protagonist and Dirty Frank, who is Judge through and through despite the mental instability.  This is defintely the best episode of Simping yet, and either Coleby's art's getting steadily better or it's grown on me a lot.

Low Life - Everything about this is fabulous.  "Both mein Gott and blimey!"  Bwahahahaha.  And D'Israeli's art seriously is getting better every time - how is that even possible?  And the moment when [spoiler]it all ties in[/spoiler] - genius.  Amazing stuff.

[spoiler]So.  Now we know we've actually seen our mysterious biscuit-dunker in the first part of Low Life.  Any theories on his identity?  Also, does the fact that this is a crossover mean there's a chance of seeing DeMarco appear in the main Dredd strip?  Please make it so, Mr Ewing![/spoiler]

ABC Warriors - Unfortunately for this strip, it was always going to be a let-down after that lot, and the awkwardly photoshopped White House in the first panel doesn't help.  I'm not one of the people who hates Langley's digital stuff, but I do think it makes a clumsy juxtaposition with the rest of the artwork here.  That's become my feeling about ABC Warriors all over, really: entertaining enough despite the obvious clumsy bits.

Brass Sun - Starts out a bit of a talky instalment, so it's good to see some action get going.  Lovely art continues lovely.  Not much else to say!

Well, that was incredibly clever.  Dreddworld stuff overshadows everything else in the prog, not just because of the spoilery clever thing, but also because all three strips are on fire individually.  Top stuff!
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

SmallBlueThing

Trout, I'm really not having a go at you- you're a splendid chap and I like you very much indeed. But it drives me absolutely NUTS when people complain about "spoilers" to things that bear absolutely NO RELEVANCE to the subject of a message board. Are we supposed to never mention anything about anything lest we accidentally "spoil" this unobtainable state of innocence that seems to be the only way some people think they can enjoy a film/ book/ comic/ whatever? I can sort-of understand it if we were "spoiling" something 2000AD related- but James Bond is - in my opinion- a terrible crock of old arse, that has nothing to do with anything here, as much relevance as a poor football result, a nil-nil draw say,  on a drizzly Saturday afternoon. If I wanted to reveal the entire plot as part of a gag, I'd not care one jot. If you actively take part in social discourse, you must expect to be "spoiled" about some things you'd rather not be. This isn't the seventies- the biggest threat to that innocence isn't overhearing someone give away a plot point in a shop, it's logging on to the Internet in the morning.

The bottom line is it DOESN'T MATTER if you know everything about a film going in. You'll enjoy it anyway, if it's any good. And the next time you watch it, you'll know it all in advance. I've seen people actually FALL OUT over perceived spoilers, and it drives me to the edge of madness. Bond, being absolutely THE most predictable film franchise in history - even more so than the Friday The Thirteenths, which are famously "all the bloody same"- is spoiler-proof in perpetuity.

But what do I know? You'd no more get me to pay money to see Sky Fall than willingly remove my own genitalia with a sharp spoon.

On the subject of the prog- am I missing something? How is Low Life tied-in?

SBT

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 31 October, 2012, 12:03:47 PM
On the subject of the prog- am I missing something? How is Low Life tied-in?

[spoiler]The data chip that was stolen by Folger (maybe on the orders of Bachmann) that Dredd's now pursuing and was hidden in the statue, (and maybe switched by Anne Thrope) and was given by Point to the buyer, was the one transmitted to Mister Overdrive on the moon.[/spoiler]
@jamesfeistdraws

Hawkmumbler

Cover: Langley recycle's his pre-chaos day Dredd cover from last year, this time wither Hammerstein on show. I love it.

Dredd: IS this PSI chick Janus? Why pull her out of the word work after so long? Why is she working with Batchman? Why is she crying on the last page? How does this all tie in with [spoiler]The Badge Priest and Ninja Black Op's personel?[/spoiler] Now I say that last question out loud, it make's sense. Kinda.
Flint is on fire, look at that law master! And Batchman has a pony tail! Yes that kinda surprised me, I thought the Hitler quiff was a design choice.
The transfer was seemless [spoiler]From Dredd to Point[/spoiler] and that get's extra mark's in my book!
And with that, onto...

Simping Detective: Coleby really is shit hot isn't he? This is prity much following on from [spoiler]Dredd[/spoiler] and the transition is well handled, indeed I only noticed when Point jumped the window.
"Ohstommit'sDredd" Is gonna be a long term quote for me. Had me in stitches.
Great art work, great carry on, loving this very much.....but poor Larf!

Low Life: Don't see how this is fitting in....But "EAT THIS BOARD MEMBER!" so, 10/10.

ABC's: Was never going to live up to the previous three strip's. The art is still nice, and Mill's CAN write good action. This series just isn't gelling with me. I don't hate the ABC's I just don't understand how they survived past Black Hole, a master piece in it's own right and should have been left there.

Brass Sun: Just fucking epic. Like Tolkien but in space!

Top thrill: The Trilogy. Can't be argued there.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 31 October, 2012, 12:46:43 PM
Low Life: Don't see how this is fitting in....

I literally just posted how.
@jamesfeistdraws

strontium71

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 31 October, 2012, 12:46:43 PM
Cover: Langley recycle's his pre-chaos day Dredd cover from last year, this time wither Hammerstein on show. I love it.

Dredd: IS this PSI chick Janus? Why pull her out of the word work after so long? Why is she working with Batchman? Why is she crying on the last page? How does this all tie in with [spoiler]The Badge Priest and Ninja Black Op's personel?[/spoiler] Now I say that last question out loud, it make's sense. Kinda.
Flint is on fire, look at that law master! And Batchman has a pony tail! Yes that kinda surprised me, I thought the Hitler quiff was a design choice.
The transfer was seemless [spoiler]From Dredd to Point[/spoiler] and that get's extra mark's in my book!
And with that, onto...

Simping Detective: Coleby really is shit hot isn't he? This is prity much following on from [spoiler]Dredd[/spoiler] and the transition is well handled, indeed I only noticed when Point jumped the window.
"Ohstommit'sDredd" Is gonna be a long term quote for me. Had me in stitches.
Great art work, great carry on, loving this very much.....but poor Larf!

Low Life: Don't see how this is fitting in....But "EAT THIS BOARD MEMBER!" so, 10/10.

ABC's: Was never going to live up to the previous three strip's. The art is still nice, and Mill's CAN write good action. This series just isn't gelling with me. I don't hate the ABC's I just don't understand how they survived past Black Hole, a master piece in it's own right and should have been left there.

Brass Sun: Just fucking epic. Like Tolkien but in space!

Top thrill: The Trilogy. Can't be argued there.

I thought the PSI was bleeding from her eyes as she was using her powers?
...because I hate you.

Proudhuff

yeah, the Broomcupboard witch is pushing her to her limits.

SBT you cannot be serious?  :o
DDT did a job on me

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Thanks everyone, but I think the first page of Simping Detective was even more exciting then seeing my name on a tower block.

[spoiler]I would love to see an interview with the writers and artists to see how they came up with the idea for this and how late nights this crossover caused. [/spoiler]

[spoiler]So, is anyone else think that the Prog 1812 special will be a crossover between Dredd, Simping Detective, Low Life?[/spoiler]

SmallBlueThing

Proudhuff: what, about not seeing how it fits in? No, i am- and even with dark jimbo's kind explanation im still not getting it! Mind you im a ways away from the prog at the moment, so given a reread im sure i'll get it. If you meant about spoilers and bond- heh, just having a rant! Pay me no heed. My wife has returned with my repeat prescription of codeine and coffee so im not in so much pain now, so nowhere near as grumpy. Bond sucks though.

I will review the prog after halloween. Initial response: oh my snekking grudding dokk. Minor disappointment at lack of halloween cover or seasonal tie-in story, leading to greater malaise and sadness about the lack of winter specials and tharg-pumpkin covers. Other than that, on the back of a breakfast unrushed 'day off work cos of halloween' reading- just bloody wonderful.

SBT

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Gavin_Leahy_Block on 31 October, 2012, 01:51:25 PM
[spoiler]So, is anyone else think that the Prog 1812 special will be a crossover between Dredd, Simping Detective, Low Life?[/spoiler]
This. It wouldn't surprise me. Really quite excited now.  :D

Oh, Dark Jimbo. Your response was posted while I was in the proces of writing my opinions. Thank's for the clarification.