Main Menu

Mega City Book Club - a new podcast about 2000AD books

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 23 May, 2016, 08:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexF

Not at all! I'm looking forward to doing the same thing in a couple of weeks.

Timothy

I've just discovered this podcast and have binge-listened over the last couple of days. All of the episodes have been really entertaining and informative. Well done; keep it up.

Rio De Fideldo

I have also recently binge listened and have enjoyed all episodes immensely.

I think the episodes which work particularly well are those ones which concentrate on the stories behind the production of the art and the art itself. I really enjoyed the ABC Warriors Black Hole review and the differences between the various reprints.

Whilst I still enjoyed the Scarlet Traces episode I think it fell into the slight trap of relating everything that happens in the story. Whenever this happens on podcasts I zone out. At the end of the day its a minor quibble and ultimately its horses for courses but i would like more tales of the making of please.

Eamonn Clarke

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the comments.
And we are trying to concentrate more on the background and significance of each book. I thought the Scarlet Traces one was a useful fill in for any new readers to the latest story in the prog but I know what you mean about straight run throughs.
Cheers

Eamonn Clarke

A return visit to the sixties fashion house book club for Simon Belmont who briefs men on Modesty Blaise before we get into the metatextual fiction of GoldTiger. We play along with the setup for a while before cracking the code and unlocking all the secrets of the greatest sixties comic that never existed.

Your comments welcomed.

http://megacitybookclub.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/mega-city-book-club-12-goldtiger.html?m=1yt

Eamonn Clarke

http://megacitybookclub.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/mega-city-book-club-13-alan-moore.html

Brett Summers from CultFaction.com is my guest to discuss Alan Moore's Future Shocks. We both grew long beards especially for this episode, unfortunately Brett's may have interefered with his microphone which is why he sounds like he is trapped in a coal shed in the Boroughs.

Let us know what you think

Leigh S

Great podcast, Eamonn!  My favourite has to be the Redondo drawn "Time Machine" which (without spoilers) is still a marvel for actually getting printed in a kids comic. 

MY recommendation for Brett for contemporaneous stories to explore outside of Moore would be Nemesis The Warlock.

sheridan

Quote from: Leigh S on 02 October, 2016, 09:11:29 AM
Great podcast, Eamonn!  My favourite has to be the Redondo drawn "Time Machine" which (without spoilers) is still a marvel for actually getting printed in a kids comic. 

MY recommendation for Brett for contemporaneous stories to explore outside of Moore would be Nemesis The Warlock.

Nemesis Book III - the story that got me into 2000AD - though it wasn't in the line-up in the first progs I read, and I started buying Tooth every week the prog after it finished.  *shrug*

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: Leigh S on 02 October, 2016, 09:11:29 AM

Thanks, Leigh. I'll pass the recommendation onto Brett. And Nemesis should be coming up on the podcast before too long.

Tony Angelino

Just dug out my 2006 copy of the Complete Alan Moore Future Shocks. Enjoyed the podcast and will have to give this a re-read.

I think Moore's Future Shocks and DR & Quinch (or if you were my schoolmate Doctor & Quinch) were his best work for 2000 AD. I'm just not the biggest fan of either Skizz or Halo Jones. They weren't bad stories I just don't look back on them with the same fondness as I do other strips.

JayzusB.Christ

Still really enjoying these.  Looking forward to the Redondo one.  (And I now have a new-found appreciation for Brass Sun, which I got a bit lost reading first time round but am now re-reading - nice one!)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Eamonn Clarke

http://megacitybookclub.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/mega-city-book-club-16-judge-child-quest.html

Judge Anon joins me all the way from Buenos Aires in a crackly, spacefaring Justice 1 book club to discuss the legendary Judge Child Quest.

Let us know what you think.

Eamonn Clarke

http://megacitybookclub.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/mega-city-book-club-17-ballad-of-halo.html

Where did we go?
The Pub
What did we do?
Talk about one of the greatest tales Tharg has ever given us.

A lot of background noise in the pub this time and my thrill sucker suppression software has left the vocals a little
squelchy (technical term ;) ) but turn the volume up and let us know what you think.

Cheers.