Main Menu

SHORT STORY/ART CROSSOVER COMP - "THE RACE"

Started by Bad City Blue, 15 September, 2016, 03:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad City Blue

Greetings, Grubby Grexnixes,

Yes, it's finally here as we weld together the shiny, beloved art comp with it's cruelly ignored third cousin the short story comp.

Here's how it works...

The deliberately open theme is simply "The Race". As long as it's 2000AD themed you can use any character or setting.

When the comp is over, and there will be prizes, the entrants will be handed over to the prototype art droids on the forum, who will choose to illustrate any entry they fancy (not just the winner).

Hopefully at the end we will have some fine combos to admire.

So there it is, let's see if we can create something worth drawing, at 500 words or less.

Make me proud, children, lest I sell you to organ leggers.

Bad City Bertty Boo
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Eamonn Clarke

Hotdog

As soon as he saw the blip on his radar he knew it was going to be touch and go. Swan was far left of a wide formation as Judge Giant led the cadets on a sweep. After clearing a nest of Dune Sharks they were hunting for survivors. They had passed a mutant convoy heading for the Coney Island township two kilometres back, and now there was an ominous green dot on the extreme edge of the bike screen that only he could see.

He turned the Lawmaster and accelerated hard.

"Swan here, sir. Fast moving signal at edge of scanner, probable Shark on the convoy's tail. Moving to intercept."

Giant's response was brief, "Roger that, Swan. Cadets, left wheel."

He stepped the bike up a gear and concentrated on the green dot. A faint ping at top of his screen indicated the rear of the mutant convoy. Thirty seconds to visual range, he transferred the radar to his visor and scanned the horizon. It was going to be damned close.

The green dot resolved into an image which his visor magnified and threw up to the top left of his HUD. Shark alright, big one, 200 kilos of flying muscle and teeth, kept aloft by a huge gas filled stomach chamber. Skin like plasteel, hi-ex could penetrate it but only if you hit soft spots. The bike had spitfire missiles to pick them off at range, he thumbed another switch and targeting confirmed what he already suspected, the shark was too close to the convoy. Any collateral damage and Giant would bust him back to the admin corps.

"Have to be the hard way. Bike, auto steer, same course."

He pulled his knife and cut through the palm of his glove. Blood flowed freely as he popped a grenade from his belt. He shook his head to clear the HUD, he could see the Shark and the convoy now, the wagons were making their way through a narrow gully with high sandy walls. No time for computers, this was going to be gut, and gut alone.

He gunned the bike to higher ground on full turbo and hit the edge at max speed. A brief glimpse of surprised faces in the last wagon and he was airborne. The grenade was slick with blood as he tossed it into the air.

"Hey, Fido. Catch!"

The shark's response was instinctive, attuned to the smallest trace of blood, it swooped away from the convoy and snatched the device from the air.

Swan's landing was rough but he held it together and the bike slewed to a halt on the far side of the gulley. Behind him there was a satisfying, muffled thump and the crash of the shark hitting the ground, its wings flapping uselessly against the sand.

Giant rode up close.

"Unconventional approach, Swan...."

"Sir"

"...but effective, now field dress that hand. Cadet Ajax, execute the creature. Snow, you've got point. Fun's over, get ready to move out, people."

Bad City Blue

Rogue Judge

Cool idea, I'll be happy to to illustrate an entry but I have NO writing skills!

Jacqusie

Intriguing idea and one I will defo give a go after a forced lay off...

My usual question is however...when's the deadline BCB?

::)

ta

Bad City Blue

Let's say end of October, plenty of time to think

The Legendary Shark

The Race.

"Pure bred, pure bred, pure bred!" The vicious chant rang in Johnny Alpha's ears as a hard fist crashed into his kidney. His knees buckled. The rabid mob around the shallow pit howled gleefully, then booed as Johnny pivoted, schyting out one leg. One of his three norm assailants squealed as Johnny's foot slammed into the side of his knee. The norm's leg bent inwards and he collapsed. Before the others could react, Johnny drove an elbow into his throat.

A hand grabbed Johnny's hair, dragging him off the corpse. The mob cheered as Johnny took blows to his battered face. Ignoring the pain, he gripped the arm above his head with both hands. More punches thundered into his head and chest but Johnny concentrated on the norm holding his hair. He planted his feet and threw this man into the other. The action unbalanced them both and Alpha lashed out. His first blow crushed one norm's solar plexus, rupturing his heart. The second smashed the other's nose and Johnny followed up with half a dozen rapid, savage punches.

The three norms lay dead or dying in the bloodstained, stinking earth of the rough pit. Johnny sucked in deep breaths. How many was that? Eight? Ten? His fuzzy mind, more concerned with broken ribs, cracked teeth and trembling muscles, couldn't remember. It was hard to focus through the exhaustion and pain. Not much longer. Be over soon.

Idris Jones, skin glistening under the lanterns illuminating the interior of this remote barn, raised his arms until the mob quietened. He laughed. "Quite the savage, aren't you?"

Johnny spat blood into the dirt, striking as defiant a pose as his abused body would allow.

"Kept us here longer than usual. Stupid mutie, why not just die like the rest of your inferior litter?" He waved his own question away and nodded to the far side of the arena, where a huge man stirred in the shadows. "Still, die you will. A freak can't survive against pure humans." Jones pointed to The Race's bloodsatined flag. "The Race will prevail."

The mob cheered as the big man dropped into the arena like a boulder.

Wulf, stripped to the waist, muscles bulging, stepped forward and placed a massive hand around Johnny's throat. Wulf moved his face close to Johnny's, his words inaudible to the baying mob. "Ach, Johnny," he said. "Dese plans off yours, alvays so risky."

"Everyone in place?"

Wulf nodded. "Ja, you bought us der time. Middenface and der rest are ready to roll."

Johnny nodded. Wulf let go of his throat and scowled at the mob, which was beginning to sense danger.

"What is this?" Jones said. "Kill it!"

Explosions tore into the barn and a dozen Search/Destroy agents poured in, guns blazing.

Idris Jones ran but Wulf drove him to the ground. "Not so fast," Wulf said. "For you, Old Cucumber, der Race is finished."
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Killmaster

TEK DIVISION INCIDENT REPORT # 167/J10/Err?/2138-09-29.

@11:47hrs Justice Department Unmanned Cursed Earth Monitoring Station 221b detected fast moving object proceeding towards MC1 Sector 39W. Initial reports indicate object land vehicle traveling ~416kph (+/- 23kph). Recognition attempts failed due Cat 7 Rad Storm.

@11:52hrs aerial unit MNTA-3091 dispatched. MNTA-3091 unable to locate object.

@~12:06hrs object penetrated city perimeter Sect 39W, exact co-ordinates unknown due to extensive CD damage/weather conditions.

@12:10hrs, object re-acquired, Miles Jupp Sked, Tom Clancy Intersection, traveling 520kph. Object violated 23 traffic regulations, causing multiple accidents (see TRAFFIC DIVISION INCIDENT REPORT # 2017/SK13/UV3/2138-09-29). Assessment indicated two-wheeled motorcycle of unknown configuration with one rider.

@12:12hrs, Senior Street Judge Dredd, J., dispatched (see STREET DIVISION INCIDENT REPORT # 11099/S01/TP17/2138-09-29).

@12:16hrs, Dredd sights vehicle, reports Second Gen MKI Lawmaster (obsolete), extensively damaged and in generally poor condition, ridden by a robot in equally poor condition. Assessment was semi-derelict war robot hijacked Lawmaster for use in attack on MC1. Despite Traff-Div roadblocks/diversions, pursuit failed. Rogue Lawmaster fired upon Dredd, disabling his Lawmaster, and escaped to City Bottom ruins. (NB-Lawmaster Refresher Course? Hershey.)

@12:20hrs, Dredd commandeered citizen-owned LandSkySpeeder (Reg MC1-S207-286-G - listed destroyed) to continue pursuit. (Citizen Carat Moss, 2271b Dale Winton Underhang, sentenced to five years: resisting commandeer, attempted assault, lip - see previous STREET-DIV I.R.)

@12:22hrs, Dredd re-acquired target, continued pursuit. Pursuit difficult due to CD damage and extreme aptitude of rider. TAC-COMP calcs indicated 87% (+/- 12%) probability vehicle destination Sector House 291 (listed destroyed, CD). To minimise citizen danger, Dredd executed collision with Rogue Lawmaster. Rogue Lawmaster survived collision but was badly damaged. Dredd continued pursuit on foot.

@12:26hrs, Dredd destroyed robot rider with high-explosive blanket spread, however, Rogue Lawmaster continued course for SH 291, wounded Dredd with four non-standard 9mm old-style carbon jacketed rounds. Dredd continued pursuit.

@12:29hrs, Rogue Lawmaster, failing due to heavy damage, arrived site of SH 291 ruins and shut down. Dredd rendered vehicle safe, requested Tek-Div support.

@13:02hrs, Tek-Div report Rogue Lawmaster assigned Judge Tooly Aite (listed MIA presumed dead, 2101). Recorded message from Judge Aite recovered. Relevant section transcript: "Bike - get this message... (unclear)... back to Sector House 291. Stop...  stop for nothing. The... (unclear)... fate of the... city may... (unclear) depend on it." Coded urgent sub-message warning re "Father Earth" threat to MC1. Rogue Lawmaster log indicates vehicle lost in Cursed Earth ~37yrs due to nav-comp damage. Robot slaved to system to perform maintenance/act as decoy rider. (NB - exemplary AI conduct. Investigate?)

Closing Comment (Dredd, J.): "Grud damn hunk of junk. I don't know whether to melt it down or fix it up."

Rogue Lawmaster under Tek-Div investigation prior installation, Black Museum.

Judge Tooly Aite, put on posthumous report for issuing dangerous orders.

+++REPORT ENDS+++
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Lobo Baggins

Of course, there is only one 2000 AD story with Race in the actual title which gives me an idea, but I only got as far as describing the Slag Sisters and their Boulder Holder Mobile (and I hadn't even written down Rula Roughshod and Whoretooth in the Buzzwagon!) before a Rigelian Hotshot appeared in the sky from the direction of Oxford and exploded my house.

That means you won't get to draw Babe Race 2000: The Whacky Races in next month's art competition, artist types!
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Lobo Baggins

I thought this one would get loads of entries - feel a bit guilty about only responding with a gag now :(

Echidna

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 09 October, 2016, 01:43:13 PM
I thought this one would get loads of entries - feel a bit guilty about only responding with a gag now :(

There's usually a few entries in the last couple of days before the deadline from slackers like me and Jacqusie ;)

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 09 October, 2016, 01:30:22 PM
Bumpity bump bump

Not sure a sound effect is enough to qualify as an entry, but it is quite evocative

Lobo Baggins

Everyone Looses Sometimes

She landed on her knees as the cop shoved her thoughtlessly into the cell, the barred door slamming loudly behind her.  The sound echoed, reverberating around and around for an inordinately long time... no, that was just in her head, she decided.  She carefully picked herself up and sat heavily on the hard bunk that occupied the corner of the tiny room.  It was pretty much the same as every other cell she'd been in, they rarely had much variation.  She'd seen quite a lot of them in her life.  This particular one was a drunk tank, so it had a bucket as well as a bunk.  She sighed.  She'd had so many dreams, once upon a time.  How had it come to this?

She looked up, taking a vague disinterest as a group of cops made their way along the corridor outside.  One, a tall woman, paused outside.  She found herself frowning, the profile looked familiar... her breath caught in her throat as she gasped as recognition finally filtered through her alchohol addled synapses.  She was a lot older, naturally, and had much less hair and rather more clothes than the last time she'd seen her, but it was her, it was!  She glanced down at her identifying badge and all doubt fled – it read 'Olsun'.

'Rodice!' Halo Jones screamed, leaping to her feet, a long forgotten smile breaking out, 'Oh, Rodice!  I thought you were dead!' she said, stumbling forwards to grasp at the bars of the cell door.

Rodice turned towards her.  No smile, no sign of recognition... there was only half a face.  A crude, jagged scar surrounded a too large cybernetic eye that glowed balefully at her.  There was a light on, but Rodice wasn't home any more.  She'd been leucotomized, the ultimate fate of someone from the Hoop who wouldn't conform and behave themselves.  'Move away from the bars', she intoned in an emotionless parody of her oldest friend's voice.

Halo stifled a sob as she backed away, once again slumping back onto the bunk as what was left of her friend turned and began to walk away.  Halo watched her go.  There was nothing of her left, nothing.  She'd thought they'd get away, they'd once agreed to race to the other side of the galaxy.  Halo had thought she'd won, but Rodice never left the starting block, never left the Hoop.  She thought she'd been killed in a terrible massacre, but this was actually worse.  Much worse.

A tear rolled down Halo Jones' cheek as she lay back on the bunk.  She had a lot to think about.

Modern Panther

RACE TO THE WHITEHOUSE

*** partially recovered audio transcript *** presidential archives *** reference CO521738 ***

[applause]

"[inaudible] ...back to the third debate in this, the 2068 presidential campaign race.  I'm your host, Brish Shapely, and this debate is sponsored by BleachPear...for sparkly teeth and home."

"In this section of the debate, well be taking questions from voters.  Our first question is from Boris Numan of Baton Rouge Bay.  Boris asks "what is the greatest threat facing America today?"  Senator James Velazquez, that question is for you."

[applause]

"Thank you, Brish.  And thank you Boris for your question. We're clearly a nation which has, and continues to have, great upheaval.  Recent riots in Gore City have demonstrated that the president has failed to...."

"Jeez, Velly, just give the guy an answer!"

[laughter]

"Vice President Booth, you clearly disagree..."

"Damn right I disagree, Brish.  Your looking hot today, by the way.  The problem that America faces is our enemies abroad.  We've go the Sovs taking power over in Russia, we've got the Chinese, the Brits.  They're against us, Brish.  They send their people over here, they ruin our economy, they're criminals,  they threaten our way of life.  Our great way of life..."

"With respect, Vice President Booth, the issue is a little more complicated..."

"Shut up, Velazquez.  I've a plan for America.  I will build a shield!  A patriotic shield, which will defend us from our enemies.  [applause] We will no longer allow weaklings,  like the senator here, sell America to our enemies.  You're weak, Velazquez! You don't have the stamina to run this country!  When I'm president, I'll have people like you [inaudible]"

[gasps and applause]

"Gentlemen...please.  Our next question comes from Moira Peffeffer from Mega City Two.  Moira asks " watcha gonna do bout smog man?".  Senator  Velazquez, would like like to respond?"

"I'll certainly try, Brish.  [laughter]  Our transition away from fossil fuels has been largely successful, but we continue to rely outdated nuclear options and foreign investment in our fusion industry.  I have a four year plan..."

"You've handed those oil reserves over, Senator.."

[applause]

"You well, know, mister Vice President, that US oil long since..."

[Boos]

"I'm talking out the mid-east, I'm talking about the Brits.  That's our oil. [cheers] America build the oil industry!.  And now, you and your cabal of...[inaudible]  politicians...want to restrict the hardworking people of our nuclear industry who...

"The negative effects of strontium-80 are already being seen across the dustbowl states who..."

"Don't interrupt me, dammit!  It's rude!  The brave men and women who are working to put nuclear power in the homes of ordinary Americans, hard working Americans, are being let down by people like Senator, here.  They're shutting down business across our country. 

[applause]

"This great country was founded on capitalism!   it's right there in the declaration of independence!"

"Vote Booth!  I will crush those who would take our freedoms!  I will make America great again!

[applause intensifies]

**** end **** classification chief judge only *** recommend permanent deletion ****

Bad City Blue