Main Menu

Welcome to 2000AD Online

Started by VinceBot, 07 September, 2009, 09:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Welcome, By-Jove. Others will be able to tell you better how to change your name but I'd suggest fiddling with your Profile Page or, failing that, PM one of the mods for assistance. A good place to start exploring is the Active Topics page - there should be a link to that somewhere near your name an avatar. Enjoy!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sheridan

Quote from: By-Jove on 09 September, 2016, 10:17:56 AM
How do I find my profile?
Your browser my differ, but for me I go to the top of the screen, hover over 'profile', wait for the drop-down to appear, then go for 'account settings'.

QuoteI also want to change my username to JovisbyJove or the other way around, JovebyJovis. What ever sounds better. You should know where Jovis comes from, & the expression By Jove or Jovis. I think it's a polite expression for something else. I couldn't be bothered looking this up right now, but I did so about a month earlier & thought of that Irish actor who played that Roman owner of Gladiator slaves from the television series. He's prone to some of the best & most original profanity in that show, atleast. Not sure where to start here. How about a tour of this forum?
I believe it's a mince oath, and that people in 18th and 19th century England who couldn't say 'by god' in polite company co-opted a god from another pantheon for the same effect.  Other stand-ins included 'dash' or 'darn' for 'damn' and 'gadzooks' for 'god's hooks' i.e. the nails which attached Jesus to the cross.

Welcome to the board!

The Legendary Shark

Not forgetting Father Ted's "feck," BSG's "frack" and Old Stoneyface's "drokk."

Ah, swears - how I love 'em!

(Thanks for the "gadzooks" explanation - I didn't know that and now I'm glad I do!)
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Dark Jimbo

...And of course 'Judas Priest!' in place of 'Jesus Christ!'

I think the titular band probably killed that one off overnight, though, as the band's probably now the first thing it brings to mind!
@jamesfeistdraws

Tony Angelino

Evening all.

I read 2000 AD (on and off) from Prog 1 up to some point around Prog 600. I stopped reading, not because I was getting older, but because I just didn't find the Prog that good anymore. Strontium Dog didn't have Wulf, Robo-Hunter had aged and then got stuck in a clones body and Rogue Trooper now appeared to be some other bloke called Friday.

I bought the odd collection over the years since but got back on board with the release of Judge Dredd The Mega Collection. I still enjoy re-reading the old strips the best but have really enjoyed a lot of John Wagner's recent stuff. 

Anyway it is good to see the Prog still going.

ZenArcade

Welcome and just pop out and buy Leviathan. You'll fall in love again. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

sheridan

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 09 September, 2016, 07:04:27 PM
Evening all.

I read 2000 AD (on and off) from Prog 1 up to some point around Prog 600. I stopped reading, not because I was getting older, but because I just didn't find the Prog that good anymore. Strontium Dog didn't have Wulf, Robo-Hunter had aged and then got stuck in a clones body and Rogue Trooper now appeared to be some other bloke called Friday.

I bought the odd collection over the years since but got back on board with the release of Judge Dredd The Mega Collection. I still enjoy re-reading the old strips the best but have really enjoyed a lot of John Wagner's recent stuff. 

Anyway it is good to see the Prog still going.
You're not the only one to stray in the nineties, and not the only one to return to the fold either!  Welcome back!

sheridan

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 09 September, 2016, 06:40:07 PM
...And of course 'Judas Priest!' in place of 'Jesus Christ!'

I think the titular band probably killed that one off overnight, though, as the band's probably now the first thing it brings to mind!
Similar happened to adventure stories where a character says "Take That!" while punching somebody...

By-Jove

JovebyJovis sounds better...I think I'll get that one.

Colin YNWA

All these new people, cool - welcome aboard, have fun.

Rackle

:wave:  Hello new peeps and long-established drokkkers too!

I joined about a week ago and am still finding my way through the epic threads of 300+ pages (what a rabbit hole that was - I lost an entire day just catching up on the "threadjacking" thread!

Professor Riptide

Morning,

Long term 2000AD fan and reader here. Done a couple of things for Dogbreath writing wise and fancy doing more.

Do a bit of reviewing for downthetubes and co-host the Awesome Comics Podcast (mentioning 2000 whenever possible).

Big fan of all things 2000 and really looking forward to joining in on here.

My favs are Slaine, ABC, Dredd, Bad Company, Savage, Defoe, Stainless Steel Rat, M.A.C.H. 1, Meltdown Man, ACE Trucking and so many more.

Tony

Link Prime

Welcome Tony / Professor Riptide!

CrazyFoxMachine

Ello Tony - ! Love your work on the Awesome Podcast - brings a much-needed spotlight on small press folk :)