Main Menu

NOVEMBER ART COMP - STEVE DILLON TRIBUTE

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 02 November, 2016, 07:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

Well we were going to roll on with the short story collaboration but that will have to wait for the new year.

Things took a horrible turn in the last month when we lost artist Steve Dillon with horrible suddenness.

His contribution to the history of comics is undisputed, the outpouring of love for him personally and artistically in these few weeks is a ringing testament to both his character and his talent. His distinct uncluttered artwork enraptured many mainstream comic readers across the pond for the last two decades but this month we'll be focusing on his work in 2000 AD - much of which was astonishingly produced when he was in his early twenties!

From the beautiful obituary posted on the 2000 AD Tumblr:

QuoteA superb draughtsman from the very start of his career, Dillon is a fantastic storyteller, proven with his touching rendition of the death of Judge Giant, (the first victim of the Block Mania virus, Progs 236-44, 31Oct-26Dec'81) the all-action adventure of Cry of the Werewolf (Progs 322-28, 25Jun-6Aug'83) one of the best Dredd tales of all time), the utter desperation of an eyeless Judge Dredd fighting off an unstoppable zombie future-version of himself, in another classic, City of the Damned! (Progs 393-406, 24Nov'84-23Feb'85), or perhaps even the breathtaking moment a dolphin leaps over Chopper as he crosses the Pacific Ocean solo, on a powerboard - gorgeous...(Oz, Progs 545-70, 24Oct'87-16Apr'88).

The Dillon droid was also known for his work on Rogue Trooper, creating the best (to-date!) post-Gibbons masterpiece, Cinnabar (Progs 624-35, 29Apr-15Jul'89, inks by Kev Walker & John Smith (w), Mean Arena, Hap Hazard and the underrated, Tyranny Rex (again, with John Smith). He also did several other terrific Dredds, like The Hunter's Club (Progs 407-11, 2-30Mar'85), Death of a Politician (Prog 443, 9Nov'85) and of course, the hilarious Emerald Isle (Progs 727-32, 20Apr-25May'91), featuring the first appearance of Judge Joyce, with Dillon's partner-in-crime, Garth Ennis..

We know Preacher was printed in the Megazine but I'm afraid we'd rather 2000 AD-original material - it's not like there's not lots to choose from!

There will be a GN straight from the nerve centre for the winner of course, and one for Tharg's Choice - and there will also be a bonafide 2000 AD droid choosing their favourites - all entries will be viewable here, on our dedicated FB page, and also on the official 2000 AD Tumblr and Twitter!

Rules for the art comp are these:

- It must fit the theme.

- You can enter as many times as you like but bear in mind it will split your vote so it may not be worth it.

- All entries have to be constructed specifically for this competition - so nothing you've done for anything else.

- You can enter either here or by directly putting it on our FB wall here: https://www.facebook.com/2000adartcomp/

YOU HAVE UNTIL THE 27TH OF NOVEMBER WHEN WE'LL DOWN THE VOTING GUINNESS

Andy Lambert

amines2058

Wow Andy. super quick and an amazing tribute to boot. Congrats on last month and judging by this entry I am sure you are going to be a contender this month as well!

IAMTHESYSTEM

Well a pretty rotten time but here's my tribute to Steve . Try to ignore the unintentional humour of the 'Dat ass' meme variety from the wolf judge. I couldn't fit him in anywhere else and yes, the worst drawing of Abslom Daak ever .

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Goaty

For Steve, on my favourite 2000AD Steve Dillon moment;

Albion

Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Neil McClements

I am the laaahh!

Steve Dillon's work on Cry of the Werewolf was just amazing and his figures always seemed so effortless. My scope of comics doesn't go that far so I can only say his Dredd work and in particular Cry of the Werewolf, City of the Damned and BlockMania standout in my memory of Dillon. I wish I had more time to add a background but alas and ironically time is fleeting so this is my tribute to him, gone too soon. 

IAMTHESYSTEM

What a picture Neil, that's some werewolf! The short, angry lines suit it perfectly.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

mejustnow

SMUSHY PEAS!!!

pauljholden

Quote from: Neil McClements on 15 November, 2016, 12:43:40 PM
I am the laaahh!

Steve Dillon's work on Cry of the Werewolf was just amazing and his figures always seemed so effortless. My scope of comics doesn't go that far so I can only say his Dredd work and in particular Cry of the Werewolf, City of the Damned and BlockMania standout in my memory of Dillon. I wish I had more time to add a background but alas and ironically time is fleeting so this is my tribute to him, gone too soon. 

I'm reporting this to a moderator. FOR BEING AWESOME.

Neil McClements

Thanks all, your comments much appreciated!

Tulio_Vilela

My entry for the November Art Comp - Steve Dillon Tribute: "Judge Dredd/ Fangface mash-up: Cry of the Werewolf".

Tulio_Vilela

Submitting again my entry (with a few little modifications). "Fangface/ Judge Dredd mash-up: Cry of the Werewolf".

CrazyFoxMachine

Goaty