Main Menu

Some questions about the Judge Dredd universe

Started by Sandman1, 16 November, 2016, 05:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 17 November, 2016, 07:06:53 AM
You also get to see Dredd without his helmet in the Dead Man and Necropolis, but his face is badly disfigured so you really don't get an idea of what he really looks like. But you do get to see his eyes (at least his eye implants) are blue. (Also, for more dark Judges, see Case Files #2 as well).
Not only blue, but with square irises and pupils:

ZenArcade

Sector 44 was renamed after Barratt decided to raise a few cred's for the Justice Dept coffers. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Frank

Quote from: Sandman1 on 17 November, 2016, 12:17:21 PM
Quote from: ZenArcade on 17 November, 2016, 12:17:21 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 17 November, 2016, 12:17:21 PM
If being a judge for a spell gave him the opportunity to cock an outrageous snook or cement his reputation as the mass-murderer's mass-murderer, (Maybe would) be squeezing into those regulation Emphatically Yess's in a flash

Attitude, physicality and adherence ... to procedural information and automatic actions in an almost reflex manner has given away a large amount of Jimps very quickly indeed. It is debatable in the extreme if even PJ would last more than a few hours.

Mister Maybe manage to infiltrate the SJS, abducts a powerful Psi-Judge and makes contact with the Dark Judges to make a deal. Does that sound too infeasible?

That's Ms Maybe. PJ Maybe's dead, so the plan above isn't very feasible [1].

I assumed you were asking if Maybe might have cheated the executioner's bullet (and frag grenade) by swapping places with a judge. As Z points out, it's difficult to pass as MCJD for any length of time [2], but I take TordelBack's point that Maybe might be able to keep it in his pants long enough to pull off something spectacular.

I'll now pay extra attention to whether Hershey has grown an Adam's apple, or is dressing to the left.

[1] PJ already met and parlayed with the Dark Judges at the end of Day Of Chaos/start of Dark Justice, so you don't have to invent contact between them.

[2] Hitman 571-573

TordelBack

Quote from: sheridan on 17 November, 2016, 01:05:09 PM
Quote from: Smith on 17 November, 2016, 01:02:15 PM
Btw,the celibacy rule seems to be taken more as a suggestion then a rule by a good deal of Judges.
Until the SJS find out, that is...

The odd bit of ow's-yer-clonefather seems to result in a stern caution and may not do your career any good, but it certainly attracts scrutiny and repeated instances are grounds for dismissal, or at least transfer to the Auxilliaries (who lead 'normal' lives). It's forming significant attachments that distract from duty that seems to be at the root of the prohibition (where this leaves Dredd and Vienna is anyone's guess, he's headed off in the middle of a major crisis to rescue her at least twice, and it would have been interesting to see how Sinfield and March progressed): conflict of interest and the potential for leverage against a Judge, rather than squeamishness about bumping uglies. 

Classic instances of unjudicial nookie we appeared to see treated very harshly generally have some other criminality associated with them which is the actual cause of the response/sentence (e.g. The Falucci Tapes).

Dandontdare

Quote from: Sandman1 on 17 November, 2016, 12:17:21 PM
Mister Maybe manage to infiltrate the SJS, abducts a powerful Psi-Judge and makes contact with the Dark Judges to make a deal. Does that sound too infeasible?

I guess it;s feasible but as Frank says, it's not something he'd probably want to do - and it's too close to Necropolis as a plot, so unlikely.

Many people think that the dark judges have been somewhat over-used - the recent Dead-world prequel stories provided a fantastic new twist with some awesome art, but I think it's unlikely we'll ever see another 'dark judges threaten MC1' story.

TordelBack

Quote from: Dandontdare on 17 November, 2016, 02:59:07 PM... I think it's unlikely we'll ever see another 'dark judges threaten MC1' story.

Care to put a currency value on that? (Sterling not accepted) 

Smith

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 November, 2016, 02:57:20 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 17 November, 2016, 01:05:09 PM
Quote from: Smith on 17 November, 2016, 01:02:15 PM
Btw,the celibacy rule seems to be taken more as a suggestion then a rule by a good deal of Judges.
Until the SJS find out, that is...

The odd bit of ow's-yer-clonefather seems to result in a stern caution and may not do your career any good, but it certainly attracts scrutiny and repeated instances are grounds for dismissal, or at least transfer to the Auxilliaries (who lead 'normal' lives). It's forming significant attachments that distract from duty that seems to be at the root of the prohibition (where this leaves Dredd and Vienna is anyone's guess, he's headed off in the middle of a major crisis to rescue her at least twice, and it would have been interesting to see how Sinfield and March progressed): conflict of interest and the potential for leverage against a Judge, rather than squeamishness about bumping uglies. 

Classic instances of unjudicial nookie we appeared to see treated very harshly generally have some other criminality associated with them which is the actual cause of the response/sentence (e.g. The Falucci Tapes).

Well,it is forbidden,but everybody does it anyway.Maybe not exactly everyone,but quite a few anyway.Ofc,your still sanctioned if they catch you.
Also,that seems to be just MC1 thing?Emerald Isle judges are allowed marriage.But I cant really remember more "foreign" examples.

TordelBack

Brit-Cit's Treasure Steel (from Armitage) is definitely married as well, but then BritCit and Murphyville may well share a judicial code. The suggestion from the handful of EuroCit stories is that pretty much anything goes, and I can't see the Ozzers keeping it in their board-shorts either. Probably something in the Ennis Chopper stories I can't remember clarifies this.

Can't think of any other obvious examples.   

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 November, 2016, 03:52:42 PM
Can't think of any other obvious examples.   

Tootsie roll puts her head round the door wearing nothing but her boyf's shirt and all Dredd does is ask Rico where he's getting his cash from*? No wonder Dredd thought Fargo overreacted to his relationship with Sequenta Tells.

* ... and senior management are only worried about Rico's bodycount. Dredd does say standards had slipped at that time.

Smith

Considering even Dredd bends the rules now and then,standards have dropped.

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 November, 2016, 02:57:20 PM
For a long time the only instances I knew of were the Falucci Tapes and the one with the Hellfire Club in.

Sandman1

Quote from: Dash Decent on 17 November, 2016, 01:01:12 PMBuy issue 36 of the "Judge Dredd Mega Collection" as a back issue from Hatchette.  It's only ten quid and it's hardback. Click here.

Is it in black and white or in color? 

Quote from: Dandontdare on 17 November, 2016, 02:59:07 PMMany people think that the dark judges have been somewhat over-used - the recent Dead-world prequel stories provided a fantastic new twist with some awesome art, but I think it's unlikely we'll ever see another 'dark judges threaten MC1' story.

Which enemy/enemies haven't been in the comics so much? 
Error...

ZenArcade

Well most of Dredd's enemies aren't in the prog because they're dead! Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Frank

Quote from: Sandman1 on 17 November, 2016, 11:32:06 PM
Which enemy/enemies haven't been in the comics so much?

Dredd doesn't really have enemies; he kills people.

TordelBack

Quote from: Sandman1 on 17 November, 2016, 11:32:06 PM
Quote from: Dash Decent on 17 November, 2016, 01:01:12 PMBuy issue 36 of the "Judge Dredd Mega Collection" as a back issue from Hatchette.  It's only ten quid and it's hardback. Click here.

Is it in black and white or in color? 

The earliest PJ Maybe stories are mostly in B&W, as they were originally published, but the majority of the book is full colour. It's a  really lovely book, and I believe it's actually got more content than The Complete PJ Maybe. The other advantage is that if you were to get the two Tour of Duty and two Day of Chaos volumes in the same MegaCollection series, I believe you'd have all the Maybe that has been collected to date (there are two recent stories, Serial Serial and Ladykiller, that haven't been collected yet), as well as having hardback versions of some of the best Dredd stories ever committed to paper.

Your 'enemies' questions gets to the heart of Dredd: people like PJ or even Judge Death might like to think of themselves as Dredd's mortal enemies, but as far as Joe is concerned they're just one more lawbreaker out of millions. Just one more perp to bring to Justice: most don't last very long.