Main Menu

The 2000 AD Thrill-Cast - the official podcast of the Galaxy's Greatest Comic!

Started by Molch-R, 22 January, 2015, 10:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fungus

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 21 March, 2016, 04:50:47 PM
Quote from: Fungus on 21 March, 2016, 12:55:19 PM
Yes, creators do tend to deny interest in reading comics (not just the mainstream ones, but everything). It's bizarre and veers towards snobbery which is odd in that it's the field in which they choose to work.
You think chefs go home and cook the stuff they spend the whole day cooking up in the kitchen? It doesn't mean they don't appreciate a nice, well-cooked meal, but it does mean they have a very different relationship with the product to that of the punters.
I think they do go home, cook and eat something. Not the best analogy.

if you think that when I knock off at the end of the day, reading more comics is anywhere near the top (or even the middle) of my list of recreational activities, you're off your rocker.
That's a big 'if' since I didn't suggest that. I'll be on my rocker then, thanks. Jesus.

GordonR

Oh, that awkward part in interviews when they ask you what comics you read or what your favourite current titles are...

Jim_Campbell

EDIT: Fuck it, never mind.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Fungus on 21 March, 2016, 05:19:59 PMI think they do go home, cook and eat something.
Well, quite, just as writers often do. I spend my day writing and reading non-fiction prose. I therefore rarely feel compelled to read non-fiction prose in my downtime. The important thing for a writer is they take in stories and ideas from elsewhere, and I can't imagine the Wagners and Rennies of this world never read anything.

Hawkmumbler

I guess it all depends on the individual being interviewed and broadly sweeping all writers, pencilers, inkers, letterers, colourists, and whatever role you wish into one camp or another isn't doing anyone in the industry any favors. Just my two pence as someone who doesn't work in the industry, obviously.

The Wagner interview I have yet to listen to (well, part 2 and 3 anyway) it all but John Wagner seems like such a pleasant individual.

Molch-R

Quote from: Fungus on 21 March, 2016, 12:55:19 PM
Worthy of a follow-up question, that didn't happen.

To be fair, we were both pretty drunk by that point - I'm surprised we could string more than two or three words together.

In entirely unconnected news, Mr Wagner is a rather excellent and generous host. Stay away from the damsin gin, mind.

inkymonkey

Quote from: Molch-R on 22 March, 2016, 01:56:56 PM
In entirely unconnected news, Mr Wagner is a rather excellent and generous host. Stay away from the damsin gin, mind.

Homemade damson gin..? I'm on my way... :)

Molch-R

Glad you all enjoyed the Wagner interview, Squaxx! This week, writer Guy Adams and Jimmy Broxton talk to me about the new collection of Goldtiger, the iconic 60s comic strip that never was... An obscure Italian artist and a down-to-earth British writer came together to create a rival to Modesty Blaise that has lived in infamy.

This enthralling book lifts the lid on comics' most unsung creation and includes letters, scripts, interviews and sketches - all documenting the creation of the strip and the outlandish lives of its creators - plus its connection to 2000 AD!

Listen now at http://2000adonline.com/podcast

Fungus

Look forward to the podcast. Teed up on my phone and the GoldTiger material was the best part of a frankly poor Megazine. As 'Damned' is continuing, unsure of buying next month's.

Molch-R

Leah Moore, John Reppion and Tom Foster are our guests on the latest Thrill-Cast to talk about Brit-Cit Noir, the ghoulish new collection of two tales of the weird from the Britain of Judge Dredd's world. Plus, writer of the DREDD movie sequel tie-in series, Arthur Wyatt, discusses bringing Alex Garland's vision to the comics page. Subscribe on iTunes or listen now at http://www.2000adonline.com/podcast

Molch-R

The new Thrill-Cast episode is online and we're chuffed to welcome award-winning author of Zoo City, Shining Girls, and Moxy Land - Lauren Beukes - with her comics conspirator Joey Hi-Fi - otherwise known as book designer, artist, and writer Dale Halvorsen - to talk about growing up reading 2000 AD in South Africa, how Johnny Alpha helped them understand apartheid, bizarre censorship by the South African authorities, what it meant when Halo Jones got out, and how the Galaxy's Greatest Comic affected both their careers.

Molch-R

Warning - spoilers abound ... but what the drokk has happened to Dredd?! We bring writer Michael Carroll onto The 2000 AD Thrill-Cast to explain himself, Gruddammit! He's joined by co-conspirator, artist PJ Holden, to talk about 'Grindstone Cowboys' and 'The Lion's Den', what's happened to everyone's favourite lawman, and what's in store for Mega-City One.

Listen now on iTunes https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-2000-ad-thrill-cast/id964089199 or http://2000adonline.com/podcast

Molch-R

Veeeeeeeeeery happy to reveal that the legendary Mick McMahon is to be a guest on a future episode of The 2000 AD Thrill-Cast. Got a question for Mick? Post it on this thread and I'll do my best to include them in the interview...

Molch-R

On the latest 2000 AD podcast, we bid goodbye to 2000 AD reprographics droid, Kathryn Symes aka Kat-Scan, and discuss the challenges of breathing life into the comics of yesteryear, whether it's Judge Dredd, Dan Dare, or Misty! Kat's work on our graphic novels has been tireless and usually goes unnoticed by most readers, so we're sad to see her go.

We also talk to writer TC Eglington and artist Boo Cook about their new Dredd-universe series, Blunt, which has been years in the making and debuts in this week's Judge Dredd Megazine!

You can subscribe to the Thrill-Cast on iTunes or listen now at www.2000ADonline.com/podcast

Theblazeuk

Oo Lauren Beukes....

I forgot to resubscribe to the Thrill-Cast when I changed phones. Cheers for all the audio-thrill power!