Main Menu

Weekly Shonen Jump Weekly update (hopefully)

Started by IronGraham, 05 November, 2013, 11:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Didn't say official announcment in next weeks podcast, I will keep ye informed.

The Adventurer

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Spaceghost

This one is the most interesting of the 3 Young Jump stories -

Yokohama-sen Doppelganger (Yokohama Line Doppelganger, seen bottom right in image) by Vanessa Chihiro Tamaki is a personal story of two people who fight against fate in the midst of a chain of serial murders. In the crime pursuit suspense manga, the two protagonists can only believe in themselves. The series will debut in the 11th issue on February 13.

It would break up the almost exlusively action oriented line up that we currently have.

Of the new Shonen Jump series, I hope we get this one -

The "winter revolution" will begin with the fantasy crime action series Illegal Rare (top right in image) by Hiroshi Shiibashi (Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan). This new title will begin in the 11th issue on February 10.

I'm not a fan of romantic comedy or sports manga and Stealth Symphony looks a bit too cutesy and generically shonen.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Spaceghost

Hawkmumbler

Interesting. Rhyoga Naritas series all share a universe, a rare occurrence in manga. I wonder...

The Adventurer

QuoteInteresting. Rhyoga Naritas series all share a universe, a rare occurrence in manga. I wonder...

If we'll see Isaac and Maria? Because that would be rad.

Hawkmumbler

Theirs always the possibility. Luckily i've never disliked something the man has done so I hope it'll be a hit.

Oh, and we where talking about crossovers?...

http://youtu.be/H-B8ddDyCCk

The Adventurer

Not available in my country :(

As for shared universe manga, it's my understanding that all Akira Toriyama manga are cannon to each other.

IronGraham

We're werewolves not swearwolves

Hawkmumbler

OK. So Murata went back and re-drew some panels from OPM. And i'm not talking about fixing Judge shoulder pads here I mean he completely redesigned Lord Boros.

http://8bitsaitama.tumblr.com/post/76455399149/i-liked-the-other-one-more

On the one hand, the mans a monster artist so anything from him and im happy. On the other, it'll completely mess up the eventual collected edition.

Spaceghost

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 07 February, 2014, 09:04:45 PM
Interesting. Rhyoga Naritas series all share a universe, a rare occurrence in manga. I wonder...

I've never read anything else by him. What would you recommend?

On this week's issue;

I've always enjoyed Naruto, especially the Akatsuki arc, but this battle has been going on waaaaaaay too long. If this is going to be the ultimate battle to end the series, it needs to be wrapped up quickly as it's already losing its impact. There have been so many 'ultimate finishing attacks' that haven't worked, I can't see how it's going to top itself.

Naruto is still out for the count and fading fast, as is Sasuke. Surely a titanic team-up between these two soon-to-be-revived shinobi will put paid to Madara's evil schemes?

Bleach seems to be coasting a bit at the moment too. Both series seem to be trying to finish but they're dragging it out so long, it's hard to stay interested. At least Bleach has cool enemies and (compared to Naruto) brisk and exciting fights. Byakuya Kuchiki steps in this week to save Rukia.

Nisekoi represents everything I detest about Japanese pop culture. Generic, formulaic, predictable, boring, filled with bland characters and tedious situations. I can't understand why this is even remotely popular. It's a charmless, by-the-numbers harem manga with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Go read Ranma instead to see this kind of thing done right.

The polar opposite of Nisekoi is All You Need is Kill, which is brilliant. I read the novel when it was first released a few years back and immediately thought it would make a brilliant film. It remains to be seen how successfully the Tom Cruise starring adaptation can capture the feel of the book, but the manga is doing an excellent job, thanks in no small part to Obata's gorgeous art.

We start to see some of the minute changes that can be made by even a subtle expression while eating this week. I love time manipulation stories and the ideas here can sustain interest even when there's no alien killing action. I hope it's released as a collected edition as I, for one, would definitely buy it.

World Trigger trundles along, failing to engage the reader in any way. The interchangeable, look-alike characters all melding into one, the blandly designed enemies being dispatched with no effort. I just don't care about it in the least. This week the characters go somewhere and nearly do something. Probably. I can't remember.

At least Seraph of the End has a strong lead character and an exciting confrontaion just around the corner. As with most Shonen Jump series, the first volume has been about pulling the reader in with some comfortable cliches but hopefully we'll start to see it find it's feet when our heroes clash with Mika.

And, suddenly, Toriko and Rin are getting married! This series never fails to surprise and delight. Endlessly inventive, playful and ridiculous. The Four Heavenly Kings along with Rin and Komatsu continue to search for the IGO President's legendary Full Course which will save the Human World from starvation. That looks like an old, bald GT Robo sat in the tree house...

Aaaand it's goodbye to Dragonball. I've enjoyed re-reading this in glorious technicolour but I'm so familiar with the story that I'm not sorry to see it go either.

Next week we have the first episode of Stealth Symphony. The art on that character looks a little bit cutesy for my tastes but I'll keep an open mind.

No One Piece in this issue which is usually my favourite story. I'm dying to know who is currently impersonating 'Lucy' in the collosseum.

Weekly Shonen Jump continues to be amazing value at under 50p a week for around 200 pages of manga frolics. Even if you only read half the stories, it's still better value than most other comics on the market. Long may it continue.

Hawkmumbler

The Rin scene in Toriko had me in stitches this week. I gotta wonder though if this means Toriko is now half finished, now it's had the token time skip. Hope not because i'm really starting to love it. Like One Piece before it it's a very different Shonen series. Not a teenagers with supernatural power series for a start!

Hawkmumbler

Yes. I liked Stealth Symphony VERY much indeed. In added to an already solid line up I'm more than chuffed. Kubo had me eating humble pie, Toriko had me guffawing, One Piece had me smiling like a 10 year old on prog day, All You Need is Kill was a great as per. And I now hate Yusuki Murata with a read hot passion. The man has to much talent.

Spaceghost, if you want to read Naritas novels your gonna have to read translations online as their are currently no official ones. Baccano is the place to start though.

Spaceghost

Pleasantly surprised by Stealth Symphony which debuted this week with one of the best opening episodes I've ever read. Love the [spoiler]invisible dragon[/spoiler] character and the crazy world in which the story is set. Loads of potential here and anything could happen.

Shonen Jump is really strong at the moment. The only thing I'm not bothering to read is Yu-Gi-Oh because having not read any of it, at this point, it's just a load of garbled nonsense about a daft card game to me.

Still not keen on Nisekoi but I'm reading it just for value for money.

Naruto is still dragging things out but at least there's potential for a tide-turning event at the end of this episode. Bleach sees Rukia re-take the stage to resume the fight in Byakuya's stead.

One inevitable and unavoidable consequence of reading this type of series on a weekly basis, rather than in big chunks of tankoubon as I've been doing, is that the protracted battles feel even more protracted and I find myself wishing they'd just get on with it.

Something that isn't troubling One Piece at the moment as the story is barreling along at a frantic pace. Love the outrageously powerful bad guys in this arc.

One Punch Man is still beautifully drawn, daft fun, Toriko is mad and hilarious, and All You Need is Kill is the best new manga I've read in a long time.

Another fantastic issue.