Main Menu

Saga

Started by Colin YNWA, 25 June, 2014, 09:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zenith 666

Picked up the deluxe edition yesterday which collects the first eighteen chapters and haven't started reading yet but if your a fan it's a truly gorgeous book that includes scripts sketches and how Vaughan and Staples work together.Its pricey at €50(don't judge I got vouchers for Christmas) but it's over 500 high quality pages and is beautifully designed.highly reccomended to true fans.

IndigoPrime

I have the first four standard trades. They're good to the level I'd almost tempted to 'upgrade', something I've only done for a series twice before (Hellboy Library Editions and hardbacks of Locke & Key).

Zenith 666

It's is a truly gorgeous collection.you could always sell the trades or gift them to friends.

ManParrish

I brought the Deluxe, having never read one book and could not put it down! Had to buy the recent TPB just to get another fix....hope this book goes on a long time

Zenith 666

Only got around to reading the deluxe Sunday and absolutely loved it.going to be hell waiting till 2017 for Book 2.

Colin YNWA

Just finished Book 4 and in some ways the best and worse of the lot*

The story, having created its world and built its characters has a chance to settle down, calm down and try to built its characters. The dialogue was getting slightly less forced and things seemed calmed and had more room. The trouble is that left room for a hell of a lot of cliche. It was bloody awash with it. The innocent flirtation turning on itself and opening the rifts in a relationship. The working driving them apart, too little time for it all, do I know my child? Turning to drugs and the things of youth to try to cope and hold onto what you lost, or fear you might be losing. Christ even the line.

"I wasn't sure where else to go."

Really . This is the best comic out there?!?

Maybe that was the whole point. Again Saga contrasts its biarrze alien world with normality and the drive to cliche was a deliberate way to emphasis this? If so fine idea but it still left cliche.

Still the rest of it was entertaining and the other plots held me better. So I'll be there for the next one... but turn it up Vaughan.

*Probably would have been fitting to say "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."

Hawkmumbler

I thought that the fourth arc was the weakest of the bunch but #25 was bloody aces so it looks to be on the rise again.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 07 February, 2015, 07:51:37 PM*Probably would have been fitting to say "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."

Davek

There are definitely more and more murmurings of this series losing its edge as it goes on. I waited for trades on this title as I knew it would go on forever based on the writer's previous work. Volume 4 is cheap on Amazon so I will carry on with the trades but I'm not a big fan of ongoing works that last this long as the cynic in me thinks the story is fleshed out and extended once enough readers buy in to it so as to eke out maximum profit. (I started to feel the same about another recent series, Fatale, which definitely went on longer than it should of IMO).

ManParrish

I have just brought Fatale Deluxe as a big fan of Brubaker/Phillips...in addition have HC trades of Lazurus, Scalped, Revival, Fear Agent 1&2, Planetary Omnibus, Sleeper and Johnny Red 1-3 to get through...then I can get started on 1-5 of the Dredd mega collection

Hawkmumbler

Just finished both #28 and #29.

WTF Vaughn?! The completely sudden and, in my opinion, unneeded [spoiler]killing off of The Brand[/spoiler] served no purpose other than try and out do GRRM in the shock department.

Proteus4

Thank god you spoilered that. I've only read the first 3 TPB's but I have the fourth on my bedside table to read as soon as my children grow up and leave home  ;)

I'm disappointed to hear it's losing its edge, as it is simply my favourite thing in comics at the minute. But tbh if it's always drawn by fifi staples (as I like to call her) then I'm on board to the end. What a talent.

Dave
My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.

Fungus

Just read 28 and it's never been anything less than a superb series for me. On Staples, Vaughn does say in either this lettercolumn or the preceding one that when Staples leaves Saga, that's the end. Laudable. And she must get so many offers...

Bad City Blue

I've read every issue and am collecting the trades, and I can say I think this is the best comic out there at the moment. never less than entertaining, wonderfully creative and with fantastic dialogue.
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Hawkmumbler

Geez, why do I get the feeling #33 is going to get Vaughn and Staples a lot of hate mail from the Westboro Baptist Church....