Main Menu

New Johnny Red series!?!

Started by Tombo, 07 September, 2015, 11:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Quote from: Proudhuff on 04 December, 2015, 06:30:18 PM
Grreat cover on No2, but I find the James Bond stlye of womanising a let down, obvious, dated and predictable. :thumbsdown:
Not really sure what you mean about James Bond. Seemed to me there was obvious history there to be explored later. To be honest, I just don't think the first two episodeshavebeen very good. Not bad but nothing special either.

The editorial stuff in the back was the best thing about it.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Cosh on 04 December, 2015, 07:37:43 PM
To be honest, I just don't think the first two episodeshavebeen very good. Not bad but nothing special either.

The editorial stuff in the back was the best thing about it.

I don't often think this, if ever but it saddens me to say that The Cosh you are a bit smelly bag of the wrong. I loved issue 2 almost as much as issue 1 and I LOVED issue 1 ALOT

Tjm86

I can see where the issue is although I wouldn't say it was womanising.  Seemed very much like mutual consent.  I would agree with the Cosh that it was an obvious bit of history to be explored.  Historically it would probably have been highly accurate as well.  There is a lot of social history that talks about how people dealt with that kind of thing during the war (speaking as the son of a GI baby to boot). 

Hunt noted in the interview at the back that the relationship wasn't explored back in the day because of the view that the readership wouldn't have taken to it.  Considering that the readership has matured a bit (!)  that option is now open. 

For me the big thing has always been that the lead character is a young twenty something who has never been to Russia in his entire life and the first day he arrives he manages to convince an entire squadron to give up trying to kill themselves and go hammer the enemy.  Considering the likelihood that any of them were fluent in English back in those days he must have been bloody good at miming! Its a plot hole so gaping you have to ignore it.

Proudhuff

Yeah, the one good-looking Russian woman (who knows how to grow and wash her hair) warms up the bed of our hero after some banter? not the kind of thing that happens in Bond?  Tired, clichéd and obvious I'm afraid, why not one of the sturdier cropped women Heroes of the Soviet era or one of the Russian men or boys (cat /pigeons!) warming his bed? The audience may have matured slightly - into adolescent fantasy - but not enough to have their stereotypes challenged. As you say there is a lot of silent history that could have been explored, but instead we get the pretty woman falls for the male lead, yawnnn, Imagine as a side story if she was dedicated to the big bearded 'Wulf' guy? or she was in love with her co-pilot and regardless how successful, cocksure and winning Johnny's ways were she stayed loyal to her Russian lover and Johnny's simple viewed world couldn't handle that conflict?

Just saying, missed opportunity.
DDT did a job on me

M.I.K.

Who said anything about her being in love with him?

Hawkmumbler

Seemed to me like a very much consensual, circumstantial, 'ah well theirs no one better too fuck' kind of shag. Far above the average Bond-esque womanizing male power ego shite.

Tjm86

Quote from: Proudhuff on 07 December, 2015, 08:12:05 PM
Yeah, the one good-looking Russian woman (who knows how to grow and wash her hair) warms up the bed of our hero after some banter? not the kind of thing that happens in Bond?  Tired, clichéd and obvious I'm afraid, why not one of the sturdier cropped women Heroes of the Soviet era or one of the Russian men or boys (cat /pigeons!) warming his bed?

Just saying, missed opportunity.

I'll grant you that one.  I guess the Bond cliche also covers it to a certain extent as well but as Hawkmonger says, not quite the full monty as it were.  I would agree that it was the weak point in an otherwise good story that is shaping up nicely.  In some respect the biggest test is whether it adds anything to the narrative in terms of plot development or character development.  It doesn't seem to have done either really.

Can't remember the exact quote but Josh Lyman's response in Take This Sabbath Day to being asked about watching naked women:  "We like looking at naked women fine, it's just watching it with other guys that's weird."

Colin YNWA

While I definitely see the point being raised it felt like scene setting to me and I suspect we'll see the relationship develop far more over the next 6 issues, or at least our understanding of what each party gets from it.

James Stacey

Well I think the whole thing has been splendid so far. I

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Hawkmumbler

Johnny turning out to be gay/bi/pan would be great but I don't expect Ennis to do it. He's a great writer but somewhat clueless in certain regards.

Colin YNWA

So just breezing by to make the petuant point that issue 3 puts pay to the assumption that there's only one attractive Night Witch.

Proudhuff

The photos of the real witches at the back of issue 3 should have been a guide to their look, rather than a bunch of super models...
DDT did a job on me

Tjm86

You know, for me that has been the highlight of this series.  The short historical notes that help to contextualise the story. 

You're right mind, the visuals of the female characters are pretty stereotypical.  I'm always minded of the original Andromeda Strain.  No way would it be made like that today with a portly middle aged female scientist.  Ironically the remake was pretty standard in the casting department (and fairly bland all round).  Hey ho.

Spikes