Main Menu

**PIMPING** - The PARAGON annual 2016

Started by Daveycandlish, 12 December, 2015, 08:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daveycandlish

Like the sales starting in December, wearing a Christmas jumper ironically or putting glitter in your hipster beard, the PARAGON annual has become a recent tradition.

PARAGON is an old-school boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70'S and 80's. It's hard to find a comic nowadays that inspires the same kind of feeling picking up one of those comics back then did, but PARAGON is as  close as you can get,  containing new stories, reprint, text tales and self contained adventures of our various heroes.
This years annual not only has a host of the regular contributors back to delight your sense of adventure but we also have a number of newcomers to add to the roster of talent.

So grab that bowl of brazil nuts and settle down for a good read!

It's called PARAGON for a reason!

Order your copy by Sunday and get free P&P!! (UK only)

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=C6YA3KJSKV2CL
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Daveycandlish

But what's inside I hear you ask?

Well how about the 20 page multi-hero adventure featuring Bulldog - the anthropomorphic defender of the skies above Blighty, Jikan - the time-travelling demon-hunting samurai, Ganesh - the six limbed superhero from the sub-Continent and Spencer Nero - the Civil Centurian - the British agent who is endowed with extraordinary strength whenever he dons the Janus mask!

The three part adventure is written by Greg Meldrum, drawn by Scott Twells and lettered by Jim Campbell, David Metcalfe-Carr and Ken Reynolds
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

amines2058

I can only say that what I have seen looks rather fantastic!😉. Top effort by all involved.

Daveycandlish

I'll be posting more preview art later today but I thought i should put this here now;

pdf version available for only 95p!!

http://www.lulu.com/shop/paragon-comic/the-paragon-annual-2016-ebook/ebook/product-22484146.html

Go on, treat yourself!

Daveycandlish

Quote from: amines2058 on 13 December, 2015, 12:11:41 AM
I can only say that what I have seen looks rather fantastic!😉. Top effort by all involved.

Glad you like it!  :)

Also included in the annual;
Jikan - the time travelling, demon hunter lands on the set of Star Trek!
How will Kirk, Spock, er, I mean Shatner, Nimoy et al cope with creatures from another dimension?
Find out in To Boldly Go... by Mark Howard, Alex Mines and Ken Reynolds

JohnOsborn

This is one fun, old-school comic. Really makes me wish I wasn't a millennial punk, and that I'd been around back when all comics lived up to what Paragon is! Seriously, this annual is an absolute gem!

Daveycandlish

Cheers John!

But of course, there's even more in the annual;
an illustrated text tale by Jason Cobley - The Memoirs of Wellington Bulldog, in which the anthropomorphic hero goes exploring at the North Pole, but it isn't Santa he finds there...

The Legendary Shark

This really is a bloody good annual - The Paragon Paradox three-parter is brilliant and worth the money (less than £1 for the digital copy - yes, that's not a tpyo, less than £1!) all on its own.
If there's someone in your life who loves comics, why not rekindle the passions of their youth by ordering the hardback copy to slip into their stocking this Christmas? Remember the joy of unwrapping that 2000AD Annual on Christmas morning? Well now you don't have to remember - that experience can be yours once more for a paltry sum!
I could go on hyperbolising for pages and pages about this (you know I can), so just buy one and stop me!
paragoncomic.blogspot.nl/?m=1
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Greg M.

I'd say the annual's worth it for the final panel of the Jikan story alone - that had to be one where you had that idea and worked backwards, right?

Daveycandlish

It's a corker innit? Mark had a great script there and Alex did a bang-up job on the art for it.  :)

I know that £12.50 for a hardback is an indulgence, so for those who balk at that price (or don't do digital) why not opt for the paperback version? At £2.99 for 64 page A4 comic, that is an absolute bargain!

http://www.lulu.com/shop/paragon-comic/the-paragon-winter-spectacular-2016/paperback/product-22486883.html

Go on, bag yourself a copy!

This is from Cushing & Sons by Mark Howard, Dave Candlish and John Caliber

Mark and I are both fans of Hammer films and I love the art of Paul Grist so tried to echo his style in this tribute to monster hunters of yore!

The Legendary Shark

Actually, the final panels took me ages to think up as I just couldn't figure out how to end the story - then it just came to me. I'm glad you liked it. :)
The dialogue in TPP was a joy to read - or it would have been if it didn't leave me green with envy. Properly loved that, so I did.
Not to detract from the other stories, which are all proper crackers!
Buy one!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Greg M.

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 14 December, 2015, 08:49:32 PM
Actually, the final panels took me ages to think up as I just couldn't figure out how to end the story - then it just came to me. I'm glad you liked it. :)

Ha! Shows what I know! I love it when stuff like that happens during scripting - when things just fall in to place. It's a great story - an instant favourite.

Thanks for the kind words re: TPP. For my money, the real star there is Scott Twells - bloody hell, he's good!

The Legendary Shark

No argument here! It's extremely satisfying, and more than a little humbling, to be in amongst such talented people - makes me feel like an interloper!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Daveycandlish

The Legendary Shark

I will get one soon - when work picks up again (2 days work in the last 3 weeks, so I'm brassic at the moment). But yes - definitely!!!
Is it selling well?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]