DC 'revamps' Hanna Barbera cartoons with top line comics creators

Started by Colin YNWA, 28 January, 2016, 07:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Cosh on 29 January, 2016, 08:47:33 AM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 29 January, 2016, 08:45:43 AM
Quote from: The Cosh on 29 January, 2016, 08:30:47 AM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 28 January, 2016, 08:28:09 PM
Oh, and Shaggy's a hipster now?  Piss off.
Wasn't that always the joke?
I would have said unkempt and slovenly hippy, hence 'Shaggy'; as opposed to slick, spruce and elegantly-coiffured hipster, no?
Caricature of contemporary, alternative youth culture which the makers don't actually understand in both cases, no?

Well, maybe.  I just think Shaggy should look shaggy.  No?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

Forgot to add, it's still a great piece of artwork.  Jim Lee remains fukking arsom even after having to draw All-Star Batman and Robin.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JamesC

What about Shaggy suggests the original characters didn't understand the 'hippy' culture?
He's a pacifist who always has the munchies - sounds about right to me.

Professor Bear

Regardless of the specifics, if your wider argument is that Jim Lee is not a great judge of what makes a character enduring and/or popular, then your argument is probably a sound one.

Shaggy is just supposed to be a slacker, he's not tied to any specific subculture.  Making him a hipster seems contrary to him being a layabout, as the hipster label is applied almost entirely to those who are palpably trying too hard.

pauljholden

""It's really important for this to resonate with folks who have never even heard of the characters. If this is the first they're seeing it, we want them to be enjoying the material."

Just imagine if that's your first viewing of Shaggy. JUST IMAGINE.

Professor Bear

I'm no marketing genius, like, but it seems there might be a basic flaw with aiming your comics at people who won't read them at the expense of people who will.

Still, I'm sure all at DC know what they're doing.  That's why they're the dominant market power they are today.

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 28 January, 2016, 08:27:43 PM
DC's creative cartel just chatted for 20 minutes about the fact they liked 'After Life With Archie' and just quickly said "Oh okay then we'll do that...

I was just thinking the same thing, although I can't imagine it will have as dark a tone.
If it turns out to be even half as entertaining as Afterlife they'd probably be on to a winner though.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Scolaighe Ó'Bear on 29 January, 2016, 01:33:27 PM
Regardless of the specifics, if your wider argument is that Jim Lee is not a great judge of what makes a character enduring and/or popular, then your argument is probably a sound one.

Shaggy is just supposed to be a slacker, he's not tied to any specific subculture.  Making him a hipster seems contrary to him being a layabout, as the hipster label is applied almost entirely to those who are palpably trying too hard.

Preshishely.  He could have been a grungey, Clerks type too. I'm too old to know what the modern day equivalent is.  But definitely not someone who spends all his time grooming himself and going out of his way to look sharp.

BPP

Quote from: Scolaighe Ó'Bear on 29 January, 2016, 02:24:39 PM
I'm no marketing genius, like, but it seems there might be a basic flaw with aiming your comics at people who won't read them at the expense of people who will.

Welcome to IDWLAND!
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Satanist

Jim Lee says "we just thought it would just be really interesting to take the cartoon version of these characters and see where they would be if we took what existed in the very first iteration of the cartoon and moved it into this day and age."

Didn't Mystery Inc already successfully do this?
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Dash Decent

""It's really important for this to resonate with folks who have never even heard of the characters. If this is the first they're seeing it, we want them to be enjoying the material."

I hope they're gooderer at drawing than they are at speeching.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

blackmocco

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 28 January, 2016, 08:39:42 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 28 January, 2016, 07:58:54 PM
The Mad Max Wacky Races one might be interesting.

blackmocco (Mick Cassidy) is all ready there.

http://blackmocco.blogspot.ie/2013/10/blog-post.html

Aw shucks.

Yeah, sexy Sexton's about the only round of this I'd be interested in checking out. That Flintstones actually looks worse than a certain Family Guy creator's proposed reboot and I didn't think that would have been possible. As for Scooby... man. Is there a property that's been more cluelessly fucked around with?
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

I, Cosh

Quote from: JamesC on 29 January, 2016, 12:55:22 PM
What about Shaggy suggests the original characters didn't understand the 'hippy' culture?
He's a pacifist who always has the munchies - sounds about right to me.
I'll let you into a secret. Sometimes I just type the first thing that comes into my head without really stopping to think about it.
We never really die.

Hawkmumbler

The Adventurer

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 03 February, 2016, 04:29:11 PM
The Flintstones has always been shit anyway.

Whaaaaaa? (Early) Flintstones and Jetsons were a corner stone of my youth. Best versions of the Honeymooners and the Dick van Dike show.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK