Main Menu

Cinema Purgatorio by Moore, O'Neill & Friends

Started by Link Prime, 02 February, 2016, 04:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Caught this on Bleeding Colon a few minutes ago; http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/02/02/alan-moore-on-his-new-comic-with-kevin-oneills-cinema-purgatorio-including-kieron-gillen-max-brooks-garth-ennis-christos-gage-and-more/

Reading the blurb by Moore instantly caught my attention- this is the kind of comic I know that I want.

Only the second time in my life I've pledged to Kickstarter, but just couldn't resist this.

Kickstarter link; https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/avatarpress/alan-moores-cinema-purgatorio

Hawkmumbler

Good bloody christ that looks a thing of beauty! Pledged!

Dark Jimbo

Cor!!!

I don't know how those boys do it - both Moore and O'Neill (Kev in particular!) seem to keep improving year on year.

@jamesfeistdraws

Link Prime

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 02 February, 2016, 05:13:06 PM
Moore and O'Neill (Kev in particular!) seem to keep improving year on year

Kevin O'Neill is one of the most consistently amazing artists I've come across in my 35 years of reading comics.
He hasn't skipped a beat.

I recently picked up the LoEG Nemo slip-case, and it is beautiful beyond words.
http://www.topshelfcomix.com/catalog/nemo-trilogy-slipcase-edition/926

Colin YNWA

Well that pretty much reads as a must buy.

Interesting that Avatar have gone the Kickstarter route to throw some funds into the coffers. When 'largish' publishers have done that in the past they have been mocked out of town. That said in this case doesn't seem to be a problem and they have romped the early target.

TordelBack

The Adventurer

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

SuperSurfer

Looks great.

According to the Kickstarter page "one of the O'Neill boys" will be signing at London Super Comic Con.

(Would be good if Alan Moore borrow 'im back to Pat Mills for a bit?)

richerthanyou

Saw this on my facebook thing today. Looks like it will be well worth a go
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

Satanist

Well this looks right up my street and is out just in time for my B'day (if all goes well). I think the Mrs will be funding her first kickstarter tonight.

Not a Euphemism.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

SuperSurfer

Picked up the hard cover book of Cinema Purgatorio at LSCC and only just got round to reading it.

Billed as being "in the vein of classic horror comics published by EC Comics and Warren Publishing" with "some of the best creators in comics".

The Moore/O'Neill strip is decent enough as is the Ennis one. As for the rest? The same old same old US comics as far as I am concerned. But in black and white.

I'm reading Dredd Case Files 6 at the moment and that seems to be much more in the spirit of EC Comics.

Not quite sure what the format will be when this appears in comic shops but I'm very disappointed with it, having spent £25.

maryanddavid

SuperSurfer

Quote from: maryanddavid on 07 March, 2016, 10:20:38 PM
What sort of page count is it SS?
The version I have is the 64 page Kickstarter hardcover. 16 pages are a photo story that apparently won't available in any other edition.

The Amstor Computer

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 05 March, 2016, 03:36:30 PMThe Moore/O'Neill strip is decent enough as is the Ennis one. As for the rest? The same old same old US comics as far as I am concerned. But in black and white.

Reading through the pitch and reports that's exactly what I was concerned it would be :(

IIRC, I saw a slightly grumpy comment from Steve Bissette when it was announced, about how the pitch sounded like the original Taboo manifesto he and John Totleben put out in the '80s, but the more I read of it the more it sounds as though it's going to be a pale imitation of that transgressive anthology. I'm sure Moore & O'Neill's contributions will be solid, but the rest looked a bit bland, and with none of the real horror and bite the best of Taboo had.

I think Bissette is right to be a bit grumpy about the pitch (particularly as Moore has studiously avoided mentioning Taboo - where two of his most notable projects, From Hell and Lost Girls, got their initial support and first appearance - since cutting off all contact with Bissette, apparently over an interview he was unhappy with) but I don't think Cinema Purgatorio is going to have the power (or notoriety, or longevity) of Taboo.

Link Prime

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 05 March, 2016, 03:36:30 PM

The Moore/O'Neill strip is decent enough as is the Ennis one. As for the rest? The same old same old US comics as far as I am concerned. But in black and white.

Disappointing to hear that 'Surfer, I'm eagerly awaiting a read of this.
I'd assumed Ennis & Gillen would have produced some decent work too.