Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Raul looks more like the old bloke who kids steal booze off in the corner shop than the swashbuckling Liam Neeson clone who's just shuffled off.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

The wall will be partly made of fencing (which it is already).
Hillary will not be locked up.
Accusers of sexual assault will not be sued.
There will not be a blanket ban on Muslims entering the USA.
There will not be millions of deportations.
Climate change is not a Chinese lie.
Waterboarding ('and worse') is highly unlikely to return to the US.

While the above are positives in my (and any right-thinking human being's) book, that's a lot of broken promises for a man who isn't even president yet.

Fuckface Von Clownstick is very rapidly doing the one thing he was elected not to do: Towing the line. And none of his supporters seem to notice.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Smith

Your telling me a politician lied just so he would be elected?Wow,thats hard to process.

Hawkmumbler

Not just that, but a right wing nutter LYING to his target demography in order to get easy votes? What a shocker!

Let this not discourage us though, he's still a violently dangerous man with a cabinet of hard line bigots on his side. This is going to be a terrible four years.

Smith

Just to be a devils advocate here,things arent so simple.One man doesnt run the whole USA on his own.He wont be allowed to tweet without going thru 5-6 commisions and what not.
Things will continue to run as they  always have.Buisness as ussual.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 14 December, 2016, 10:36:17 AMThere will not be millions of deportations.

I'm sure there'll be plenty of those but he has a way to go to beat the present incumbent.

"With the clock ticking down his final months in office, Obama appears to be running up the score in an effort to protect his title as deporter-in-chief from future presidents. To pad the numbers, Homeland Security is now going after the lowest-hanging fruit: women and children who are seeking asylum from violence in Central America."

http://fusion.net/story/252637/obama-has-deported-more-immigrants-than-any-other-president-now-hes-running-up-the-score/

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Smith on 14 December, 2016, 11:02:09 AM
He wont be allowed to tweet without going thru 5-6 commisions and what not.

He won't move into the White House or surrender his personal phone. This is a man who can find time to meet Kanye West but refuses to take intelligence briefings. This is a man who has no conception of what the office he's been elected to actually entails but, terrifyingly, doesn't appear to have any interest in actually finding out.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Smith

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 14 December, 2016, 11:07:57 AM
Quote from: Smith on 14 December, 2016, 11:02:09 AM
He wont be allowed to tweet without going thru 5-6 commisions and what not.

He won't move into the White House or surrender his personal phone. This is a man who can find time to meet Kanye West but refuses to take intelligence briefings. This is a man who has no conception of what the office he's been elected to actually entails but, terrifyingly, doesn't appear to have any interest in actually finding out.
Just an example.However you look at it,the president isnt the ONLY guy making ALL the decisions.

Theblazeuk

Every single thing he has said he will do so far, he has criticised his political opponents for doing (even when they weren't actually doing what he seemed to think they were doing, such as Obama's own attendances of intelligence briefings).

Professor Bear

Quote from: Smith on 14 December, 2016, 11:02:09 AMOne man doesnt run the whole USA on his own.

There are checks and balances to stop this Republican fruitloop doing whatever he wants, unfortunately all of those checks and balances are also currently controlled by Republicans.

It's worth remembering that the CIA and NSA have openly briefed against Trump, and these are not what you would call fluffy liberal organisations with a history of rocking the establishment boat - these are organisations that not only prosper when then is discord and unrest in America but will directly benefit from Trump's agenda, and yet they still clearly don't want him near the White House.  You have to wonder what they know.

Smith

Maybe because better relations with Russia would screw up their plans?
Not that I really believe relations will improve.American foreign policy doesnt change so easy.And Donny isnt keen on keeping promises,as we see.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Smith on 14 December, 2016, 10:54:00 AM
Your telling me a politician lied just so he would be elected?Wow,thats hard to process.

It's the fact that all of his major promises were disregarded almost the instant the election was over that baffles me. That and the utter apathy of his voting base towards his blatant dishonesty.

One thing that John Wagner got wrong in Origins was the idea that the masses actually care whether their leaders are lying or not.

Smith

Its just politics.His harshest critics are bending over backwards now to get a piece of the action.
Because at the end of the day,only thing that matters is getting your fat ass into a chair.

Now just to say it,even if a lot of you will hate me for it-I think for most voters the memories of Clinton era were still a bit too fresh,and I doubt anyone is nostalgic for it,so it might have been more of a case of voting against Hillary.But that's just my theory.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Smith on 14 December, 2016, 02:25:21 PM
so it might have been more of a case of voting against Hillary.But that's just my theory.

Except that they didn't, did they? Clinton's —what?— 2.8 million up in the popular vote. The result is a peculiar artefact of the US electoral college system, that makes a vote in Wisconsin worth about 4x more than a vote in California and, in a particularly vicious bit of irony, was intended as a safeguard against precisely this situation.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.