Main Menu

Slaine poster by Glenn Fabry and Vice Press

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 24 March, 2016, 07:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

Vice Press have just shown their new poster in their 2000 AD range and it's Slaine by Glenn Fabry.
Limited Edition of 150 and the price is £30

QuoteNumbered Edition of 150

18"x24" Screen Print

2 Colours on Mr. French Madero Beach

Printed by Valhalla Studios

ThryllSeekyr

Did I read it right that there are only one of those.

TordelBack

Foreground action is ace, but the composition is a bit bizarre - what's with the constipated steroid abuser taking up the whole background right? And if we can have badge-chain link jokes on the cover of the Prog, we need to talk about the length of Slaine's tathlum...

AlexF

Gorgeous - but weirdly, it makes me wonder if Tharg should consider putting out one of those adult colouring books. Has this already been raised on another thread somewhere?

I mean, who wouldn't want an A3 pad with a page of Great Uncle Baal's house drawn by Kev O'Neill to colour in?

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Tordelback on 24 March, 2016, 09:25:00 AM
Foreground action is ace, but the composition is a bit bizarre - what's with the constipated steroid abuser taking up the whole background right?

Half-Titan?

Quote from: Tordelback on 24 March, 2016, 09:25:00 AM
And if we can have badge-chain link jokes on the cover of the Prog, we need to talk about the length of Slaine's tathlum...

That could be more problematic than going Skyclad.

ThryllSeekyr

Sold to me

Yet, most admittedly it's not his best work, even with the fine detail on what I suspect to be Fomorian Half-Breed's left arm in the foreground to the right. 

For this type of picture, the composition is all no that engaging to me and the big dude the background looks right out of place. Only according to what I already know from G.F's work on Slaine & that itself.

Slaine also appears to be about to cop a heavy blow to his head. Is it his time to go, is this it for him & really, those Tathlum are as dangerous to him as they may be to his  foes.

Those things are filled with cement like lime & the length of the chain only makes them more unwieldy to carry that way.  I should know as I wore Glamdring whilst marching into town (A good 45 minute walk!) dressed up as Gandalf & being a sword, it's solid object unlike twin skulls chained to his waist. I was tripping over that sword a couple of times. My foot actually kept getting caught on the tip of it a
very time I took as stride. Those skulls are leg breakers. His own!!!!

Although, in the fantastic world of Tir-Nan-Og, Slaine is warped & it may be part n parcel of his Red-Branch training that he can over come such bad attire.

Otherwise, why not loop the chain around his waist (Like he had at the beginning of Time-Killer ) until those skulls just look like they're
both attached to his belt.

With honourable amends to G.F. for appearing to tell him how to do his job, but I am just putting my words out there because I care about that sort of thing. That's all!!!

Just a idea.... get rid of the insanely huge body-builder who looks otherwise too normal to be like the other two thugs in melee. Replace him with the Knucker hovering just off the ground. Flames nearly everywhere.Nest & Ukko hanging off it's back.

I know this is me being pushy again, but I brought the thing now, so you can almost forgive for sharing my opinion here.

W. R. Logan

When your copy arrives you can always use some tipped and a pen to make look how you want.

W. R. Logan

Steve Green

ThryllSeekyr

I had the one of those for Winnie the Pooh if I recollect rightly. That was long time ago.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 25 March, 2016, 04:16:47 PM
I had the one of those for Winnie the Pooh if I recollect rightly. That was long time ago.

Oh, it was the Walt Disney cartoon version of Peter Pan.

Geoff

The 'constipated body builder' looks very Richard Corben to me...

ThryllSeekyr

Do you know who he remind me of really.....

Dark Jimbo

Fucking lush. What I love(d) about Fabry's fomorians was that, yes, they were demonic fish-people, but they also felt like an opposing tribe - you could see they've got their own customs, styles, fashions, and culture. Not generic off-the-peg green folk like Bisley gave us later.
@jamesfeistdraws