Main Menu

Judge Dredd vs. The Big Two!

Started by robocook, 28 December, 2011, 11:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robocook

Today's 2000AD production art is for Prog #465, 12th April, 1986. Cover art by Cam Kennedy. Colours by Tom Frame.

http://secret-oranges.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/flab-fever.html

ming

robocook

JayzusB.Christ

Nice!  And I didn't know that Tom Frame did colouring.  The man was even more awesome than I realised.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Spikes

A smashing cover, and the colours by Tom are especially nice on this one!
Good stuff, Steve - as always.

Frank

Quote from: robocook on 02 February, 2013, 09:48:43 AM

Today's 2000AD production art is for Prog #465, 12th April, 1986. Cover art by Cam Kennedy. Colours by Tom Frame. http://secret-oranges.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/flab-fever.html

I mutilated the progs to get those Cam Kennedy Tony Tubbs covers on my wall, nobody made MC1 and the sometimes incredibly silly stuff that went on in it seem more solid and real. I can't believe how much more vivid the colours look in the production art too. Cheers again, Steve.

maryanddavid

robocook

Spikes

Very nice to see this, in all its glory Steve. Loved that Rogue Trooper action special.
Dave coloured the first Rogue episode for it, didnt he. It would be glorious if he would re-do all his strips like that, and for a oversized collection to be released.

Zarjazzer

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

robocook

Frank

That's beautiful, and almost Pop Art. Cheers, Steve.

ming

Yeah, that's lovely - and far more striking now than when it was first published, I think.  Maybe my old eyes can just appreciate it better.  Anyway, as I just commented, no-one does future tech better than Colin Wilson.  Or Westerns, for that matter!

Frank

Quote from: ming on 10 February, 2013, 09:58:24 AM
Yeah, that's lovely - and far more striking now than when it was first published, I think.  Maybe my old eyes can just appreciate it better. 

Aye, that's what's struck me about getting the opportunity to see this production art too. I'm assuming that Tom Frame was compensating for the way the bog paper on which 2000ad was printed just sucked up and dulled the impact of colour. I was always impressed that 2000ad seemed to use a more subtle and subdued palette than the four color horrors from across the Atlantic, but it seems like that might have been a by-product of the production process, rather than an aesthetic choice or indication of greater sophistication.