Main Menu

X-Files returns!

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 25 March, 2015, 10:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAMTHESYSTEM

Is it true? According to the beeb it is. Can't see anything about this on the forum so if it's posted somewhere else then move it/destroy it mods.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32035562
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

wedgeski

Dandontdare

From today's Guardian:
QuoteThe X-Files is set to return to television screens for the first time in 13 years, with David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson resuming their roles as Mulder and Scully.

The US broadcaster Fox has confirmed that a six-episode series will begin production in the summer. The broadcast date has yet to be revealed.

The series creator Chris Carter described the show's absence as "a 13-year commercial break" and added: "The good news is the world has only gotten that much stranger, a perfect time to tell these six stories."

The six-episode run is shorter than most US TV series, and Fox described the X-Files return as an "event". Dana Walden and Gary Newman, chair and CEO of FoxTelevision Group, said: "We had the privilege of working with Chris on all nine seasons of The X-Files – one of the most rewarding creative experiences of our careers – and we couldn't be more excited to explore that incredible world with him again.

"The X-Files was not only a seminal show for both the studio and the network, it was a worldwide phenomenon that shaped pop culture – yet remained a true gem for the legions of fans who embraced it from the beginning. Few shows on television have drawn such dedicated fans as The X-Files, and we're ecstatic to give them the next thrilling chapter of Mulder and Scully they've been waiting for."

The original series was cancelled in 2002, although Duchovny and Anderson returned for a feature film, X-Files: I want to Believe, in 2008. Rumours of the show's return have swirled around the internet for years, and in 2013 Anderson and Duchovny generated much excitement when they hinted during an online discussion that another X-Files film might be in the works.

Such was the on-screen chemistry between FBI investigators Fox Mulder and Dana Scully in their quest to explain the unexplained that Anderson and Duchovny themselves became a story – according to the press at various times during the height of the show's popularity, they were having an affair, hated each other or both.

This year Anderson told the Guardian's Simon Hattenstone: "I mean, yes, there were definitely periods when we hated each other ... Hate is too strong a word. We didn't talk for long periods of time. It was intense, and we were both pains in the arse for the other at various times."

Since the last X-Files series, Anderson has starred in a string of literary adaptations – as Lady Dedlock in Bleak House, Lily Bart in The House of Mirth, Miss Havisham in the BBC's Great Expectations, and Mrs Castaway in The Crimson Petal and The White – and more recently she played Supt Stella Gibson in murder drama The Fall, which has been recommissioned for a third series set to air next year.

Anderson also received warm reviews for her performance as Blanche in a fetedYoung Vic revival of Tennessee Williams's A Streetcar Named Desire.

Duchovny found further success in the US with Californication, which finished a seven-season run last year. This year he published his debut novel, Holy Cow, in which a cow called Elsie, a pig called Shalom and a turkey called Tom escape a farm in upstate New York in search of a better life.

ZenArcade

One more reason to avoid watching TV.....mostly. with respect to my fellow posters on this thread. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Jim_Campbell

As a neat illustration of how much the world has changed while the X-Files has been off-air: William Gibson pitched an episode about a 'haunted website' which Carter rejected on the grounds that not enough of the audience would know what a website was.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: ZenArcade on 25 March, 2015, 07:09:27 PM
One more reason to avoid watching TV...

Umm... Gillian Anderson is a reason to avoid watching TV?! When did that happen?

And this on top of the revelation that she's just waiting for one of us to ask her out...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

ZenArcade

Her tour de force in great expectations left me in absolute awe. What! She's available in Belfast!! Scurry, shower, brush teeth/hair, aftershave and dare I say a dab or two of old spice....how could she not but melt into my muscular, manly arms. Z

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

TordelBack

Aye, Gillian Anderson is one of those amazing people who just gets more and more attractive AND skilled as an actor the years pass. I lost interest  in the X-Files long ago, but I'm dying to see her take on Scully at 46.

wedgeski

Quote from: ZenArcade on 25 March, 2015, 07:09:27 PM
One more reason to avoid watching TV.....mostly. with respect to my fellow posters on this thread. Z
OUT!!!

Montynero

It's not like David Duchovny has anything better to do. :) I wonder how the character dynamics will play out. That conflict and chemistry between the two leads that's so essential. They've both seen so much now. And it needs a big idea - aliens are among us isn't going to cut it. Hopefully there's some kind of artistic reason to revisit the story. Carter is good writer, the first few seasons of this show were wonderful at times, and there's a lot of interesting material to work with in these crazy troubled times. It could be really cool.

Duchovny wrote a novel: *shuddders* *reads synopsis* *shudders again* Has anyone actually read it?

wedgeski

Quote from: Montynero on 26 March, 2015, 10:49:20 AM
It's not like David Duchovny has anything better to do. :) I wonder how the character dynamics will play out. That conflict and chemistry between the two leads that's so essential. They've both seen so much now. And it needs a big idea - aliens are among us isn't going to cut it. Hopefully there's some kind of artistic reason to revisit the story. Carter is good writer, the first few seasons of this show were wonderful at times, and there's a lot of interesting material to work with in these crazy troubled times. It could be really cool.
I totally agree, and fervently hope this experiment segues into a new, full series.

The last great unanswered question of the original series is the actual arrival of the aliens that have been foreshadowed the entire time -- i.e. the colonization itself. Difficult to see how they would execute that without the program becoming a bad copy of V (which was already bad), but that's not my problem to solve. :)

The other issue is the fact that (spoilers for the last movie) the two of them are actually an item now. They made it work in the film, I thought...but I wouldn't be surprised if they just retconned that whole thing out.

TordelBack

While pondering what roles could be recast with scrummy boyband members, I happened across William B. Davis' wiki entry... What a guy, I had no idea! Skeptic, environmentalist, champion water skier...

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Montynero on 26 March, 2015, 10:49:20 AM
Duchovny wrote a novel: *shuddders* *reads synopsis* *shudders again* Has anyone actually read it?
I thought for a minute you were on about the in-character novel that "Hank Moody" (Duchovny's character in "Californication") published a few years ago - which is about as good as you'd expect a Californication tie-in novel to be.

But no! It doesn't sound too bad, really. I'd get it out of the library and have a read of it.

Link Prime

I read a review of the 1st episode on IGN last night- so it looks like it's finally here.

Any word on a UK / Ireland air date or channel?
*Paging Joe Soap*

DaveGYNWA

Early Feb, Channel 5, is the last I heard.
Peas sell. But who's Brian?