Main Menu

X-Files returns!

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 25 March, 2015, 10:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

Excellent way to keep the forum female friendly there!

Link Prime

Quote from: blackmocco on 03 February, 2016, 04:21:48 PM
First two are duds. Third one's great.

I broadly agree, but a part of me is thankful for that first episode.

The series needed that clean 'reset' after the dogs dinner finale to season 9 and pretty poor 2008 movie.
I quite welcomed the hint that a lot of the 'mythology' stuff we've seen before could have been complete guff, a smokescreen for the more mundane explanation that it was the good 'ol US Government all along.
Establishing that Mulder has actual psychiatric issues was also a good move.

The only thing that didn't click for me was the nonchalant re-appointment of Mulder & Scully not just as Special Agents in the FBI, but even with their old job and digs. As if the past 17 years (Including seasons 7-9) didn't happen. Wait- maybe that isn't so bad after all!

I watched episode 3 last night (RTE seem to be airing it quicker than you can Google the word 'Torrent') and really enjoyed it.
Another brilliant episode from one of the best in the series' history- Darin Morgan.

Tjm86

Quote from: Link Prime on 03 February, 2016, 05:03:55 PM
I quite welcomed the hint that a lot of the 'mythology' stuff we've seen before could have been complete guff, a smokescreen for the more mundane explanation that it was the good 'ol US Government all along.

They played about with that quite a bit during the series as well, particularly around the fourth or fifth season.  I think that was where they went off the rail, getting too clever by half for their own good.  The first film as an attempt to try and simplify things.  By the end I think that, as with Lost, they realised they didn't really have a proper ending and just bodged it (and then some).

Zenith 666

Just watched the third episode.Brilliant just Brilliant as good as any episode from the first four seasons.Great Easter eggs and few moments that made me laugh out loud(red briefs) :D .My only disappointment is I believe the Series is only 6 episodes long.

Modern Panther

I'm looking forward to this getting good.  The first episode seemed to contain a huge amount, whilst being completely empty.  Whole scenes took place for no reason...

Mulder: hello old man, thanks for meeting me in the centre of our nation's capital, literally the easiest place in the world from which we could be spied upon...

Old man: were you followed?

Mulder: No way! I stood still for the last hour.  You must tell me the Terrible Truth.

Old man: I cannot! You must find the Terrible Truth for yourself.  But find it quickly, for soon I may die!

Mulder: Then...why did you come?

Old man: Meh. 

Doo doo doo doo do doo...

Dandontdare

I forgot it was starting on C5 last night, just caught the end credits as I tuned in for Gotham - But, y'know what, I'm not sure if I can be arsed. I liked it well enough back in the day, but I skipped everything after the first (disappointing) movie and I can't seem to work up any enthusiasm for a new series.

DaveGYNWA

I've watched the first 3, but I'm not going any further. The "I wanna make you say cheese" moment is the pinnacle and I don't think it can get any better than that. I'm done......mmmm, cheese.

[spoiler]Just kidding....I'll watch more. But that scene will stay with me forever.[/spoiler]
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

Hawkmumbler

I've seen he gif's of the 'I'll make you say cheese' scene doing the rounds and worry about the context! :lol:

Professor Bear

I like it so far.  I like that they retconned [spoiler]William's death (dead babies are cheap drama)[/spoiler], and it's hilarious how Mulder just shows up to a crime scene at the start of episode 2 like he hasn't spent the better part of two decades as a fugitive - all the interim nonsense just hand-waved away.
Best part is that it shits over the X-Files comic they brought out a few years back.  Understand I haven't read them and I have nothing at all against them bringing out XF comics - I'm sure the books were even quite good - but I have a serious problem with those comics that say they're the "season that comes after the series ended", which establishes immediately that if the show is ever revived or sequel-ed, the comics instantly become worthless.  Let this be a lesson to you, X-Files comics fans.

Link Prime

Quote from: Scolaighe Ó'Bear on 09 February, 2016, 07:30:10 PM
I like it so far.  I like that they retconned [spoiler]William's death (dead babies are cheap drama)[/spoiler]

You must have eaten too many sunflower seeds back in the day Prof, William wasn't killed off, but given up for adoption to an anonymous family.

Watched episode 4 tonight, a great new "monster" episode with some development regarding the aforementioned William too.
It's a given that [spoiler]teenage William will be back before the series ends, likely under the care if Cigarette Smoking Man[/spoiler].

Satanist

Thought the 4th ep had a good monster but rubbish plot. Only 2 left  :(
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

blackmocco

Dang man. Pretty underwhelmed with this. One was good, three duds.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Theblazeuk

Meh, the first episode was OK, the second was better (less infodump and random flashbacks that have no bearing on anything), the third was great.

The idea of it all being a government plot instead of aliens has been around on the show itself since Jose Chung's from Outer Space. It'd be a great twist if not for that - and for all the aliens you had running around by the end of the show. Bounty Hunter etc.

dweezil2

Episode 1 was rather the X-position Files, but I guess that was expected after such a long hiatus.

Fingers crossed it improves.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Theblazeuk

Fourth is pretty good too! Reminds me slighty of The Golem of Prague meets Lauren Beuke's novel, Broken Monsters.

Mulder and Scully's personal drama has never really appealed to me all that much though :)