Main Menu

Beowulf (ITV)

Started by Bad City Blue, 12 January, 2016, 07:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad City Blue

Anyone else watching this?

I'm very surprised to be enjoying it. Not too complex, good scrapping, great sets and decent fx.
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

ThryllSeekyr

I know Tordalbach mentioned this on another thread (I can't remember right now!) and I naturally had to find the trailer for this on You-Tube and didn't know what to make of it so far. It looked like any one of the other period based show set in the old world.

Borgias, Tudors, Pillars of Eternity, Rome, but mostly like Viking (yet not exactly the same formula!) ......with a little fantasy thrown into the mix.

Copying and Pasting the synopsis straight from IMDB....

Storyline

Beowulf returns to his homeland of Herot in the Shieldlands to pay his respects to deceased king Hrothgar (William Hurt). But past jealousies mean Beowulf gets a frosty welcome, especially from Hrothgar's wife, Rheda (Joanne Whalley), and son, Slean (Ed Speelers).

So, William Hurt won't be there for long (Or is this going to be The Big Chill with him taking Kevin Costner's place.) The name rang a bell, and looking at her bio, I noticed she had some credit from Pink Floyd The Wall. She was only born ten year before me, so she must have been young and then I had find alterative bio of because her name hinted something closer heart and turns out she was in Willow as Mad Martigen's love interest and also the temporary and minor villain. She still look young (Well she's only ten years my senior) but different to how she was back in 1988 when that film was made and there on screen son called Slean. Oh, I wonder if this being historical at all, or that names based on somebody I follow on this website. 

You know the girl on the far left is Irish, (The actress and not her character!) which I'm not going to contest, her family must be she must be one of those of more Indo-European extraction. The dark guy at the back sporting the mo hawk looks like indeal contender for a Rmoahal (Borrowed from Slaine...although I also found that name a book about Celts and stuff about the original Root-Races.)

Possibly...dare I say.. a slave from Egypt...and I'm sure of the correct time for this Beowul, but I do have that first dark skin people to enter this part of Europe was in the later middle ages as the Moors who might  have been more Middle Eastern than African even though I just read this in the IMDB forums...

I won't elaborate much more on that except his hair style does remind me of Mr T's who also brings Mogrooth the Sky-Druid. I'm pretty sure this show is that far-fetched even with it's own Grendel and these things with horns...

First Part of Episode One and those intros a so alike.

About those two beasts brought down by Beowulf and his late father... a certain persona wouldn't have through it too many.... 

COMMANDO FORCES

Gotta say that this is quite enjoyable and the lead actor who plays Beowulf does have a certain Sean Bean'ness to him!

ThryllSeekyr

Does anybody watch this guy. He seems to be a expert on old world weapons (And maybe new ones!)

He reckons, that something's wrong with his armour and that longswords weren't used that early, something about the pommel being made from amber and that those square shields were only used by the Romans....

TordelBack

Atrocious drivel from that vlog man. Beowulf has numerous species of monster in it, and a hall mostly made of gold. Ergo it is fantasy, and all observations about period accuracy are the gibberings of the insane.

The Last Kingdom is indeed a bit fanciful in its depictions, but it's a passable adaptation of some fine adventure books on a TV budget rather than a documentary about 9th C warfare, and yet you could learn some decent history from it if you paid attention. And really, nothing annoys me more than people asserting that they 'know' how everything looked in the past. Trust me, they don't.

ThryllSeekyr

I got concerned while listening to him go on about stuff he claimed was wrong and then wondered what might happen if he ever clapped eyes on a Slaine prog/novel, and then quite possibly threw it down when he noticed that....

Celts were calling themselves Celts. I think this was in parts of Time-Killer and The King and quite possibly Horned-God.

Slaine wore tartan-pants (The Horned God, Demon-Killer, Kai and wearing a Kilt or one of those over-shoulder cloaks (Of similar design!) in King of Hearts) before Tartans were before clans starting using those to distinguish their family colours. Not ruling out that they were used before at all, but just putting it out there.

I recall one of your past commentries on about Macmahon, Bellardinelli,Fabry work  showing stuff that merely looked cool, but was otherwise wrong if history had any say in it and I though that same thing. That's put in there.

Even though, I like to see history taking precedence of fantasy where it really matters and vice-versa for entertainment value and because both history (Depending how real the setting is or was!) and fantasy is  important if people like watching that.

I do like it when people who do these films and get their shit right, but a majority of fans wouldn't really care as well.

That guy from the video even agrees that medieval clothing (As it was believed!) looks wrong, but there might not have been anything else more impressive to compare that stuff to..... Even the those that wore less might been more impressed or were they thinking the same thing?

Just putting it out that that I only advise as mere fan that reads a lot of history books,(Some of them outdated and supaseded!) and lately what it says on internet and those documentary videos. My opinion is as good as anybodies, but not the same as Indiana Jones types who actually go out & dig up the past for themselves.

So far their opinions if share are the best to go by...and others (Like this fellow...) should still be considered, but taken with varying degrees of salt.

There is another guy who talks a lot about similar stuff on You-Tube as well.

Grugz

it aint too bad, something me and the missis both enjoy til Vikings and game of thrones returns.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html