Main Menu

What the **** is this??

Started by richerthanyou, 21 January, 2016, 06:44:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost MacRoth

The Keep.

Michael Mann manages to utterly cock up a brilliant book both in his horseshit screenplay, and piss poor directing dispite the fact he has Gabriel Byrne, Ian McKellan, Scott Glenn, and Jurgen Prunchko....Prunchko.....(The geezer out of 'Das Boot'!) in it.  It even advertised on the cover that Tangerine Dream did the music...used to like them around that time...haven't been able to listen to them since.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Hawkmumbler

I'll have to disagree STRONGLY with you on that one, MacRoth. The Keep is solid and very entertaining.

Ghost MacRoth

I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Hawkmumbler

Nope, but I don't see how that could affect my personal enjoyment of the movie. If it affected yours, then fair enough I suppose but I don't have the same criteria to enjoy a film.

Ghost MacRoth

Basically the most pivotal point of the book, the bit that makes it all make sense and has you a little more than stunned at how clever the plot twist is.....is entirely absent from the film.  So for me, it went from a VERY clever horror book to a very run of the mill schlock horror film. :(

Still, if you enjoyed it, I guess he musta got something right. ;)

JamesC

The Keep is very firmly on my 'should get a remake' list and I haven't even read the book.

See also: Logan's Run, Westworld (which is now happening as a TV show).

WhizzBang

I have one where the opposite applies - Psycho 2. Making a sequal to a classic like Psycho seems like a stupid idea and everything pointed to this being an awful movie but it is actually pretty good. A big surprise, especially the last 5 minutes.

Big_Dave

alien 3
read all about production problems
watched deleted scenes

film is still bobbins

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: JamesC on 21 January, 2016, 08:15:12 PM
The Keep is very firmly on my 'should get a remake' list and I haven't even read the book.

See also: Logan's Run, Westworld (which is now happening as a TV show).

I disagree. I'm of the opinion that the only movies that should be remade/rebooted are ones with promising premises that were poorly executed. Like those damned prequels. Or Bayformers.
You may quote me on that.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 21 January, 2016, 12:41:58 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 21 January, 2016, 12:18:38 PM
then I have to mention Blues Brothers 2000

Doctor X will be along in a minute to defend it.

You've got me confused with someone else. I've not even seen it.
Lock up your spoons!

Ghost MacRoth

Quote from: Mister Pops on 22 January, 2016, 12:21:53 AM
Quote from: JamesC on 21 January, 2016, 08:15:12 PM

I disagree. I'm of the opinion that the only movies that should be remade/rebooted are ones with promising premises that were poorly executed.

That's a perfect description of the Keep for me.

blackmocco

Of most recent years, Star Trek: Into Darkness. Liked the first Abrams one. Thought it pulled off the reboot/reimagining in a fairly imaginative and entertaining way. Then came the sequel. Appalling bullshit from start to finish. Guess I never realized just how passionate a Trek fan I was until I saw that one.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Professor Bear

Just to put my hate of Star Trek into Darkness in context, I love Star Trek: The Final Frontier, warts and all - I do not have a high bar when it comes to Trek movies.  Don't even know how many times I watched the first reboot Trek I liked it so much, but I've seen STiD only once, and that was more than enough - and I mean that literally: a half hour before the end of the film someone beside me said "this is going on forever" and it was like they were reading my mind.
I can usually articulate why I like or dislike films, but STD is just... a barrage of stupid things happening.  It is so bad that I genuinely believe that it gave Simon Pegg PTSD, because he seems utterly incapable of grasping that people may have any kind of criticism of the film - kind of like trying to explain to one of your mates that if her boyfriend loved her he wouldn't treat her like this.

IndigoPrime

Pegg has some odd cognitive dissonance there. When people bitch about modern Star Wars messing things up: fine. But Star Trek? DON'T GO THERE.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 21 January, 2016, 07:38:14 PM
Had you read the book?

I've read the book of the Keep and seen the film and I love them both.

But they are very different beasts and I love them for very different reasons.