Main Menu

What's everyone listening to...?

Started by Gonk, 01 February, 2012, 09:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

sheridan

Bowie, same as everybody else (plus a bit of Motörhead for variety, not that David isn't varied enough).

johnnystress

Sad to hear Coldwar (of ABC Warriors fame) have called it a day.

This short doc was recorded recently

https://youtu.be/CLpiKyV0eJo

richerthanyou

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

A bit of nostalgia. Also Nirvana unplugged. Bloody good bloke that Kurt Cobain.

Imagine blowing your head off with a shotgun, how did he manage to survive that?
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

Keef Monkey

Ecca Vandal has put an EP out - the singles had been fantastic and this doesn't disappoint. An album and a tour can't come fast enough.

https://t.co/9kufW9Azt3

ThryllSeekyr

Have finally listened to the official soundtrack for Elite Dangerous and it was as boring as it's sounds, mostly very operatic and subdued.

It's all on three cd's that are as goes.....

Exporation

Super-Cruise / Hyper-Drive

Combat

That last oen has more of the stuff I was used to listening to while testing the game while it was in Alpha and Beta and sometimes it builds up to something akin to the soundtrack from Star Wars One - A Phantom Menace

if you are familiar with that scene where both Qui-Gon-Jinn and Obi-Wan-Kenobi confront Darth-Maul for the final time.

I brought myself a new stereo system that plays CDs, (No cassette tapes and no records unfortunitely!) and it has radio, usb and ipod support with disco lights that can change colour manually/ Still it's pretty sweet for just over a hundred doolars.

{b]BTW[/b], I have ben living at my new place for a week since last Sunday and without internet/full-access cable television/phone line connected. The NBM cable was installed last Friday and will be activated tomorrow.

I still in the process of having stuff moved from my folks' place to the new house, but all the stuff that keeps me really happy is there already. I still got to get the large furniture shifted. May not get hat done a until next fort night, which is about a week from now.

Yeah, it really hurts me to miss out on my wireless entertainment for even this long, but I guess I should concentrate more on other more outdoor pursuits.

richerthanyou

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 07 February, 2016, 07:52:27 AM
Yeah, it really hurts me to miss out on my wireless entertainment for even this long, but I guess I should concentrate more on other more outdoor pursuits.

Do that have any good nudist clubs close by?

On topic today I've been listening to the Portal 2 soundtrack. Not recommended on long drives. Has the same effect on me as listening to the prodigy when I drive. That is I get to where I'm going in half the time!
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

Hawkmumbler

London Calling by The Clash is my AM drawing jam.

blackmocco

New Abbath (o he of the almighty Immortal) album is an utter fucking beast of riffery, gurgles and awesomeness. I don't know if black'n'roll is a genre, but this ticks all the boxes. Can't recommend it enough.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

richerthanyou

Quote from: blackmocco on 09 February, 2016, 04:53:05 PM
New Abbath (o he of the almighty Immortal) album is an utter fucking beast of riffery, gurgles and awesomeness. I don't know if black'n'roll is a genre, but this ticks all the boxes. Can't recommend it enough.

I haven't listened to immortal in years. Just having a quick listen on youtube now. That is some epic riffage already. How can I be expected to save money when bands keep releasing new music!
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

radiator

I don't listen to music anywhere near as much as I used to, but at the moment I'm absolutely in love with the album Trilogy by the French(?) electro/synth artist Carpenter Brut.

I first became aware of this artist from the song 'Escape From Midwich Valley' as featured on the Hotline Miami 2 trailer, then bought the whole album on a whim. If you know the Hotline Miami soundtracks you'll know what to expect - heavy, intricate, but still very catchy postmodern 1980s horror/cyberpunky soundtrack kinda stuff. It's an absolute stonker of an album, packed full of many standout tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY1s9SmrQRE

M.I.K.

Quote from: radiator on 19 February, 2016, 11:51:20 PMI first became aware of this artist from the song 'Escape From Midwich Valley' as featured on the Hotline Miami 2 trailer

That tune always makes me want to rewatch Creepshow.

Incidentally, I didn't know there was now an H.P. Lovecraft inspired music video/short film to go along with that particular track... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEV9zjHiICA

Colin YNWA

I've got a few new records of late, birthday pressies and the like. Of most interest (to me) is catching up with Bettie Serveert after some comments made here a while ago reminded me of them. So plumped for the 'famous' critically acclaimed (back in the day) one Palomine and got bought Log 22 a critically mixed mid period number.

Have to say while Palomine is a charming record I'm very glad to have back in my collection, its not especially ... interesting. Its very good solid early 90s Indie fare. Log 22 seems to have a much more difficult reputation but I have to say is a great record, really enjoy it, a great deal. As, strangely does my 6 year old daughter.

So yeah any more Bettie Serveert recommendations?

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 22 February, 2016, 08:13:08 AM
I've got a few new records of late, birthday pressies and the like. Of most interest (to me) is catching up with Bettie Serveert after some comments made here a while ago reminded me of them. So plumped for the 'famous' critically acclaimed (back in the day) one Palomine and got bought Log 22 a critically mixed mid period number.

Have to say while Palomine is a charming record I'm very glad to have back in my collection, its not especially ... interesting. Its very good solid early 90s Indie fare. Log 22 seems to have a much more difficult reputation but I have to say is a great record, really enjoy it, a great deal. As, strangely does my 6 year old daughter.

So yeah any more Bettie Serveert recommendations?
Not really. I only have the first two although, when I discovered they were still going a couple of years ago, I listened to a few of their more recent efforts but nothing in particular stood out. I do like the idea of their "difficult" record though so I'll give that a listen.

I do think you're being a bit harsh on Palomine. I can see you mean about "solid indie fare" but I have a massive affection for that type of female vocal, fuzzy guitar music and there are a couple of outstanding tracks on it: Under the Surface and Sundazed, I think.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Cosh on 22 February, 2016, 09:17:43 AM

I do think you're being a bit harsh on Palomine. I can see you mean about "solid indie fare" but I have a massive affection for that type of female vocal, fuzzy guitar music and there are a couple of outstanding tracks on it: Under the Surface and Sundazed, I think.

Yeah that's very possible and its all kinda to do with the fact that I too have a massive affection for that type of female vocal, fuzzy guitar type stuff. I really do. Its just that can make me feel its that I'm interested in rather than anything more 'substantial'* the benchmark it would seem I use (i.e. I used for this!) is - is it as interesting as Throwing Muses and in the case the answer is no (it never is mind!). That's not to say its bad, far from it I like the record, just it feels safe (for me that is).

I should also point out that Log 22 isn't difficult in the way, say people refer to some PJ Harvey, just people seem to suggest they are stretching a little (well Pitchfolk did) beyond their reputation as dependable. Still really great record.

*What a horrible way to put it, but I couldn't find a better way in the snatched moments I type this.