Main Menu

Recent posts

Prog / Re: Prog 2375 - err Bumper Is...
Last post by Le Fink - Today at 09:53:34 AM
Quote from: Funt Solo on Today at 03:32:43 AMI want to reread the entire series to get a bit more of a handle on Yvonne's fate. I think she's just a victim of the terror of the woods. Callum's death is far more complicated, and ties into the inescapable trauma and guilt he feels over the murder of his father.
Good points. Theres that spectral image of his father. Callum is tripping balls at this point though.

Quote from: Funt Solo on Today at 03:32:43 AMHaving the villagers murder him for being gay would not have been a story that I would've been comfortable reading (all things being equal), and so his fate had to be some form of happenstance, or self-inflicted.
Yes, I mean totally agree it would have been ghastly. I note though we've already had some abhorrent scenes of gay-bashing and consequent victim shaming. There's a line of regression to a homophobic lynching. It appeared that was the intent of the villagers. There was plenty of foreshadowing of hangings. So - much - foreshadowing! I was expecting the villagers and monstrous director to string them both up. A fittingly vile ending for such a nasty strip.

Quote from: Funt Solo on Today at 03:32:43 AMStill, as I said upthread, all very dark. (That rather being the point.) Are there any creator interviews on this one? I'd be fascinated.
Me too. I didn't like this strip but it still has much to admire and certainly grabbed my attention.

One thing that strikes me is that the recent Milligan and Dayglo strip Devil's Railroad got a fair bit of opprobrium. Both strips have evil bullies doing ghastly things to vulnerable people, and the bullies win. But this strip is getting much more of a pass.
Is it mainly the cartoony vs realistic art that is making the difference?
General / Brian Bolland visits old schoo...
Last post by rogue69 - Today at 09:39:02 AM
Here's a nice little story about Brian Bolland going back to his old school in Boston and drawing them 2 Batman sketches

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/news/batman-artist-donates-villain-art-to-school/ar-BB1kxCQK
Announcements / Re: 2000 AD - The Ultimate Col...
Last post by The Monarch - Today at 07:23:39 AM
if i was a betting man i would say the order is either 146 or 148 to be next to armoured gideon
Last post by Funt Solo - Today at 03:32:43 AM
Quote from: Le Fink on 28 March, 2024, 08:26:58 PMThistlebone ends and it feels a bit pointless. Our two protagonists have been run through one hell of a mill and end up sort of killing each other? Erm, what? The villagers can't even do their evil worst, which I thought was rather the point.

I want to reread the entire series to get a bit more of a handle on Yvonne's fate. I think she's just a victim of the terror of the woods. Callum's death is far more complicated, and ties into the inescapable trauma and guilt he feels over the murder of his father. Having the villagers murder him for being gay would not have been a story that I would've been comfortable reading (all things being equal), and so his fate had to be some form of happenstance, or self-inflicted.

Still, as I said upthread, all very dark. (That rather being the point.) Are there any creator interviews on this one? I'd be fascinated.
Last post by Funt Solo - Today at 02:54:50 AM
Judge Dredd
Are we supposed to know who it is that Dredd's tracking from MC-1 to Scandinavia? Or, wait, now that I'm thinking about it - is that the flight path taken by HW 302 and Dredd's wondering what it was doing there? Apart from not quite getting that bit of the story, I really enjoyed the dynamic of this episode - the slow fracturing of the trust between Logan and Dredd, and the foreshadowing of the bait and switch with the choice of cadet. Hale, all puffed up at success, is somewhat reminiscent of Kraken on his final assessment, and Dredd seems to prefer the calculated tactics and bravery of Moon. (It's not entirely clear whether Dredd had someone in mind before he got there.)

Art-wise, I didn't notice the coloring mistake until someone on here mentioned it. The fat back wheel and thin front wheel Lawmaster makes it look a little too much like a tricycle, but I quite liked the wide field-of-view helmets.

Full Tilt Boogie
Turns out that magic crystals from downed warships aren't a magic cure. I really like how this series works both as a standalone, but also manages to teach us about the overarching plot. I'm finding it a lot more sophisticated-seeming than I was expecting from my emotional memory of the first series.

Thistlebone
Oh, but it's dark. I can't even do justice to a proper review without re-reading it in one sitting. I think this  topples Cradlegrave as most disturbing thing in the prog.

Indigo Prime
Wuh? Wait - the three color panels in the middle - are they happening in another reality? I'm definitely enjoying this and certainly not sure why. Last Lug to Abbo Dabbo, eat your heart out.

Rogue Trooper
Oh dear. Was this intended for some kind of all-ages spin-off version of 2000 AD? (Of course, you'd have to think of a snappy title for that.) It would be too easy to pick it apart like a vulture pecking at roadkill, so I'll instead celebrate the "For Nordland!" panel as the best thing in it. (Of course, she should have choked to death at that point, because this is 2000 AD, not the Dandy.) Last thing - why does Rogue transform into Andy Sipowicz? That's a weird new character trait. (Lots of love to all the creators - I know it's not easy and what the fuck do I know anyway?)

Proteus Vex
I do love this series. I was a bit confused by the Citheronian stalkers seeming to be onto Bihet setting a trap for them, and then falling straight into the trap. What detail did I miss here? Good to see that we're back looking at the little people inside big people's heads, because the last series completely skirted that entire aspect of things. Why is Midnight Indicating Shame so much more powerful than others of her species? Never mind - it's cool when she eats spaceships.

---

Summary - great prog, but you don't need to neuter Rogue just because there's going to be a movie. He's a soldier, not a social worker.
Creative Common / Re: Funny thing
Last post by M.I.K. - 28 March, 2024, 11:51:23 PM
Quote from: A.Cow on 28 March, 2024, 11:27:05 PMI still can't believe that Tharg hasn't tried launching a special stereoscopic issue under the title "2000 3-D".   All-new anaglyphic action, just waiting to happen...

Yep, I suggested just such a thing on this very forum back in... (does quick search) ...2009? Fifteen years ago... Ye gods.
Last post by A.Cow - 28 March, 2024, 11:27:05 PM
I still can't believe that Tharg hasn't tried launching a special stereoscopic issue under the title "2000 3-D".   All-new anaglyphic action, just waiting to happen...
Last post by Funt Solo - 28 March, 2024, 11:11:45 PM
I like the idea of the shoulder-eagle talking to Dredd.

This sort of thing would've worked well in some kind of all-ages version of 2000 AD. It would have to have a clever name, though...
Announcements / Re: 2000 AD - The Ultimate Col...
Last post by levers - 28 March, 2024, 11:09:49 PM
Quote from: castle4 on 28 March, 2024, 04:14:46 PMSurprisingly Hatchette have updated their website today and 173/175 is Scarlet Traces 2 and 174/180 is Anderson Psi Div:NWO.

Man, that's 3 in a row I could get! Nice to have some 'new' Anderson strips!
Last post by The Legendary Shark - 28 March, 2024, 11:04:03 PM

I'm chokin', I just ain't gaspin'.