Main Menu

Prog 2022 - Light 'Em Up

Started by Trent, 11 March, 2017, 10:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trent

Wrap up prog with a decent Ben Willsher SinDex cover.

Judge Dredd one-off by Arthur Wyatt and Tom Foster.
One-off SinDexwith Yeowell again and final parts of the current books for Kingmaker, The Order and Kingdom all of which leave plenty of room for future stories as expected.

I wish there were more definitive stories that came to a very final conclusion in the prog but everyone seems way too busy building their own universes with never ending sagas.
Aah, Ant Wars.

Oh, just to mention, Kingdom has enough brutality for most Squaxx and next prog is as trailed but with Future Shocks and Deadworld (yayy).

Decent end of run prog , looking forward to most of next week's contents.

Mattofthespurs

Richard

Exactly. You could look in a mirror and say Candyman five times and have him turn up and ruin everyone's day, but why would you want that?

Final episode of Kingdom did not disappoint.

Great news for next week -- [spoiler]Wagner and Ezquerra on Dredd![/spoiler]

Trent

My point is valid, I believe.

Plenty of strips have either been one or two runs and done or managed to tell stories that were sufficiently discrete that they could be enjoyed in isolation. Rogue Trooper and Strontium Dog managed it.

The three stories this week have not been too bad in bringing things to some sense of closure but increasingly, unless you have read all previous stories things become impenetrable or simply offputting.

Good old uncle Pat is the worst offender with 12 episodes devoted to maybe killing someone off and advancing the overall plot a couple of microns. Compare with the profusion of ideas and compactness of storytelling in say The Cursed Earth.

Sometimes 2000AD just feels like it is getting a little flabby in middle age.

Still easily the best read out there, of course.

Richard

Geoff

Really enjoyed the two one-off stories. And Foster's art is always a treat!

Tjm86

Dredd felt like an old school classic.  Wacky premise, bizarre characters and everything building up towards the final bad pun, with a line lifted straight out of an old Robin Williams stand up show.  Loved it!

Woolly

Slightly different style from Ben Willsher on the cover, and I like it alot!

Good Dredd, raised by great art. Tom Foster, while clearly riffing on Bolland's style, always manages to come through on his own merits and not as a Bolland clone. This is a Very Good Thing!

Sin/Dex is always welcome, especially now that the bloody Tanenbaum/Clones/Alternate Universe stuff is seemingly done with (kind of). Not sure that Steve Yeowell is the best choice of artist, but John Charles' colouring is really bringing out the best from Steve's work. (Still got my fingers crossed for the return of Anthony Williams though.)

Kingmaker/The Order - haven't read yet, but will do very soon now they're finished...

Kingdom... ends. Ends very well, in fact. [spoiler]With ripped off heads and everything![/spoiler] Doesn't feel like the end of a book though, was hoping we would have a few more episodes. No matter, can't complain when the thrills are so good!

Woolly

Quote from: Woolly on 11 March, 2017, 06:47:25 PM

Good Dredd, raised by great art. Tom Foster, while clearly riffing on Bolland's style, always manages to come through on his own merits and not as a Bolland clone. This is a Very Good Thing!

Sin/Dex is always welcome, especially now that the bloody Tanenbaum/Clones/Alternate Universe stuff is seemingly done with (kind of). Not sure that Steve Yeowell is the best choice of artist, but John Charles' colouring is really bringing out the best from Steve's work. (Still got my fingers crossed for the return of the Mighty Anthony Williams though.)

Kingmaker/The Order - haven't read yet, but will do very soon now they're finished...

Kingdom... ends. Ends very well, in fact. [spoiler]With ripped off heads and everything![/spoiler] Doesn't feel like the end of a book though, was hoping we would have a few more episodes. No matter, can't complain when the thrills are so good!

Woolly

Could've sworn that button said 'edit'...  :-[

Pete Wells

Quote from: Woolly on 11 March, 2017, 06:47:25 PM

I did a questionnaire for Sniper Elite 4 and got a free PDF of a comic by Ben. It's all in that style and really striking, an amazing mix of photorealistic textures and Ben's own style. I hope he does his next 2000AD strip like this...

Colin YNWA

Well we're going to miss all that when we get to next Prog aren't we.

Don't get me wrong Brink returning is a singular delight, Scarlet Traces a treat and a John and Carlos Dredd hardly anything to knock. Hey who knows Deadworld might grip my heart more than it has up to now and Future Shocks can always entertain.... but its not going to be what we see out this Prog is it. We've had a brilliant run of stories to bring in the year and I've adored everything pretty much. The glory is it ends gloriously as well.

We see of this superb run of stories off well. Dredd is a neat fun one off, built around a punch line old skoolie. Tom Foster's colouring was really... interesting... curiously flat. KInda like it, like don't.

Sinister Dexter is a superb one off neatly parcelling off this run of stories with the intriguing promise of things to come.

Kingmaker ends its energetic and supreme first book with a crowning final episode. Again setting up more to come neatly.

What more can we add to the glory that has been The Order. Fantastic ending to a fantastic series, can't wait for this to be back. Again it leaves its doors open just as it closes. Though its cleverly a fitting ending if needs be.

... well actually one thing you can add to The Order is its astonishingly NOT the best thing in the Prog Kingdom is. Just the best comics and so very 2000ad. Again like all the series ending this week it closes beautifully and opens so much more possiblity.

Thank you Tharg.

sheridan

Colin YNWA

Oh yeah looks like if we keep saying Ant Wars enough. All this chatter here is having an impact!